• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XLT build ideas

A
Mar 11, 2013
Ive got a 1995 Polaris XLT 580 SKS that runs great but doesn't do too well in powder due to the short lugs on the track. I'm also about to get a 1999 RMK chassis, its everything minus the motor. I was wondering if it would be easier to swap the suspension and track from the RMK into the XLT or swap the 580 into the RMK. Either way I would end up with a decent sled for super cheap I just want to know which would be easier. I've seen dozens of suspension swaps but never I triple into GEN II. I'm kinda leaning towards the motor swap but I'd like to hear others opinions to the topic.

C

cowboy181d

Nov 1, 2008
Burns oregon
Hands down do the motor swap. You will gain a more modern chassis design better handling and better ergonomics. Not to knock the Ol'wedge chassis I have owned many wedge mods over the years but the newer chassis's are way way more nimble on the snow.

A
Mar 11, 2013
Thats what I was thinking. I just found out today that a person I go to school with has an Edge RMK chassis he wants to get rid of. I might try to stuff the triple into that instead of the GEN II.

M
Jul 9, 2009
I agee, hands down move the engine. I put an edge RMK 144" skid into an old edge years ago and it was a pain to get the geometry sorted out. they do fit and it can be done, but much easier to swap engines. Just make sure to get the engine in straight. I'm not sure if he engine mounts line up, but that a quick fix to put some new holes into the mount plate/straps, to line up the new engine.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
yeah the hardest part would be mounting the motor correct for whatever clutch/belt youre gonna run. gen 2 was good host for a triple/triple... lots of room under that hood.

Premium Features