• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

I see all the hype about this s36 kit for the new sleds.....anyone ever narrow a zx ?

A

attatoy

Nov 19, 2012
Vancouver Island B.C.
I am playing with my first sled and learning so much here from you guys. I read alot about this s 36 kit for the xp chassis. I was kicking around the idea of narrowing the old zx. anyone have any thoughts or know of someone who has played around with these pigs? next year might get myself a new sled but for now i am stuck with this 800 x

H
Oct 20, 2008
Northern Utah
The first generation of zx was 37" wide. The zx-x (02-03) was 39 or 40 stock. My old 2000 that I had was the 37". I absolutely hated it that narrow, so I widened it out to a 42". It felt like every time I would jump it, it was flying on its side. It just wasnt stable enough for me. It was easier to sidehill in the trees but I didnt have any trouble sidehilling it at 42.

A

attatoy

Nov 19, 2012
Vancouver Island B.C.
I ride trees alot so it is kinda what we do......especialy riding with new sleds. So upper and lower rods of a older sled will narrow the stance? What about the steering?

A

attatoy

Nov 19, 2012
Vancouver Island B.C.
I was thinkin the shocks would add some lift to the front as well to raise the center of gravity. I have a bad radius arm bushing so i was kinda hoping to find some links and try this , thinkin arrrowing it 1.5 inches should be fairly simple and hopfully will not mess with too many things that can not be easily remedied. The mzx sleds look to have ajustable radius rods and mine came with straight tube. Any one know where to get bushings for the tubes?

I narrowed up my mxz last year to the same width of a 99 summit. I unbolted everything to check how far i could pull the trailing arms in before they would hit the body. I used a pipe cutter(the kind with the wheel that you spin around a piece of copper pipe) to cut the ends off the radius rods and steering rods. Then I tapped the inside of them and threaded in heim joints. After it was put back together my lower radius rods were hitting the skid plate before the shocks were fully extended due to the shocks staying the same length. I had to heat up the skid plate and bend it a bit. It also caused a pretty big increase in ski pressure, I had to back off the springs quite a bit. Might have to mess with your limiting strap a bit too to drop the front end of the skid down. All said and done it cost me about a $100... taps, drill bits, and heims. Made a pretty big difference on my mxz, but i dont know about going narrower on a summit.

Just my 2 cents.

A

attatoy

Nov 19, 2012
Vancouver Island B.C.
Thats awsome Austin....Did you have the threded heim end on one end radius rods or the kind with just two rubber bushings? Mine are the bushing kind and i would like to know what size heims you got and used for this and what is the inside diameter of the tube? I was gonna cut them and re weld them on again (make a jig of some sort) but my first idea was heims and my bushings are toast already so this is in a way cheaper for me.Any one know where to get new bushings other then the dealer? they list at ten bucks a pop .How did the machine handle? i droped my rear track and inch already so i have already had to mess with the limiting strap. Its all about learning. :present:

Thanx

Myles

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
When I purchased my 97` Summit it had Mxz control rods and tierods, I cut the stock rods and tierods down the the stock 38inch stance that the S Chassis Summit had stock, the top oners were adjustable so I cut them a few inchs behind the threaded area of the rods and taper ground them, clamped them ina piece of angle iron which is a trick to keep round stock straigh so you can tack them together then remove from the angle and weld all the way around, if your worried about rethreading rods you want to be adjustable, just make sure your Heim joint will go in the end of the cut rod or drill to size then weld a thick 8grade nut to the end of the rod and there ya go you have a threaded rod now then add the Heim with a lock nut and your done, On the tierods it tricky to drill a solid aluminum rod and get it taped straigh so I purchased some Dom tubing slightly drilled to the tierod end size and welded the a nut to the end of the tierod on each end (LH thread on the inside and RH on the outside) easy way to make tierods.

My buddies 99`Summit 700 has a stock 38inch stance and its awesome sled to toss around it actually easier than my Rev before I narrowed the Rev, Lol.

Good luck, Wildcard

A

attatoy

Nov 19, 2012
Vancouver Island B.C.
Last question.....Is the later model sled wider at the trailing arm mount or is it all just in the radius rods......when i lookk down the front if i was to narrow this thing the full three inches clearence would be tight on the clutch side. I am imagining that the loder models had a different shape to the lower pan?

Thats awsome Austin....Did you have the threded heim end on one end radius rods or the kind with just two rubber bushings? Mine are the bushing kind and i would like to know what size heims you got and used for this and what is the inside diameter of the tube? I was gonna cut them and re weld them on again (make a jig of some sort) but my first idea was heims and my bushings are toast already so this is in a way cheaper for me.Any one know where to get new bushings other then the dealer? they list at ten bucks a pop .How did the machine handle? i droped my rear track and inch already so i have already had to mess with the limiting strap. Its all about learning. :present:

Thanx

Myles

Not quite sure what you are asking, but i ditched all the rubber bushings. I actually had to cut one of them out because it was seized to to the bolt. I will see if I can find the taps that I used to give you a size. I also might have one of the old tubes laying around that i could measure.

Handled different for sure, but I went from MXZ width to summit width. MXZ's are way wider, I think i took out like 4 inches total. Not sure what my width is right now, ill go measure.

ID of aluminum steering rod is .325"
ID of upper radius rod is .400"
ID of lower radius rod is ???

My sled had heims on both the steering rod and the upper radius rod. The steering rod heim has M10x1.25 threads. The upper radius rod heim has M12x1.50 threads (This might be a rubber bushing on your sled, both my summits have them).

For the lower radius rod, I think I just bought heims that had like a 1/2" thread pitch. Can remember for sure though.

My ski stance now is like 37-3/4" (measuring o.c. of spindles)
My 01 summit is 37"

R
Jun 14, 2008
Southern Idaho
Last question.....Is the later model sled wider at the trailing arm mount or is it all just in the radius rods......when i lookk down the front if i was to narrow this thing the full three inches clearence would be tight on the clutch side. I am imagining that the loder models had a different shape to the lower pan?

If your talking about the belly pan they are the same from 2000-2003. What year sled are you working with that would help.

A

attatoy

Nov 19, 2012
Vancouver Island B.C.
My sled is 2001 summit 800 x .I get 37" at the outside of the spindles. Is this the narrow model? The mxz must have the rebuildible HPG shocks and hiem joint radius rod ends then and that would be the wider model?

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Funny how all the newer sleds are narrowing up for good handling characteristic when actuall the older S Chassis and ZX Chassis summits were already the wideth all the newer sled are going to with the exception to the XM going an inch narrower spindle to spindle, Lol

Never understood when the Rev Summit came out being The Benchmark of all Rider Forward chassis then and and all the Doo chassis`s up to date, why they widened the Rev Summit to 39 or 40 inch stance, Just imagine what the Rev would of been like if they kept the 37-38inch stance, Wow is all I can say.

The ZX chassis you have is and awesome sled, I like riding my buddies 99` 700 ZX Summit thing is light and nimble feeling and climbs awesome

Wildcard

Last edited:
A

attatoy

Nov 19, 2012
Vancouver Island B.C.
thanx...... I can never leave anytihng alone so ebay and the sled fourms are helping me bit by bit to mod my sled. I have a buddyt hat is upgrading his 09 xp to s-36 and i think i am gonna try to fit his old front shocks to this old bitch. we will see . thanx you guys for the advice and info. Cheers

Myles

Dec 3, 2007
Have you removed the sway bar

If you have not removed he sway bar, do that before you do anything else. It is a little sloppy on the trail, but who rides trails? In the trees and sidehilling you can lay the sled over with ease. Also losen up the limiter tstrap adjustment.

Z

zx700

Jan 27, 2010
nw iowa
I put 2001 radius rods and tie rod tubes on my 02 and it was awesome. Both sleds where summits. left the 02 shocks on and backed the spring adjusters off, worked great handled better and gave the low slung chest a little more ground clearance. lots easier to pull over too as I am only 160 pounds!! enjoy and be safe!

A

attatoy

Nov 19, 2012
Vancouver Island B.C.
It is pretty much my setup now.....I run the summit rods (not the wider mxz. it falls over pretty much with the 8 inch riser i have on the sled. Just put my motor into a minty 03 151 highmark, traded all my goodies and it is pretty dam fun for what i got into it. I tossed on a high comp head too ;)

DD8FF2E7-3222-4185-A463-5D116CECAFA3-329-00000018BE9E0EB9.jpg

EA73CDA8-0D28-4025-8D89-49A6305963EC-329-00000019ED5EFC41.jpg

Premium Features