• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08 skid and 11 front end on 2010?

V
Jan 3, 2008
Eastern Wshington
2008 skid and 2011 narrow front end on 2010 sled...Opinions?

Seems it could be best of both worlds. Approach angle of 08 for getting on top with less wrenching. Narrow front end would bring the manuverability of the 11...

What do u think?

P
Mar 30, 2008
i've got essentially the same thing but i started with an 08 and added the '11 front end. I'll probably be doin the updated rear suspension, I don't like how much ski pressure you get with the narrower front, carves and sidehills for miles effortlessly but i like to be able to lift the front end when I crack the throttle.

L
Mar 8, 2011
i've got essentially the same thing but i started with an 08 and added the '11 front end. I'll probably be doin the updated rear suspension, I don't like how much ski pressure you get with the narrower front, carves and sidehills for miles effortlessly but i like to be able to lift the front end when I crack the throttle.

I believe you need to reduce the shock length (change in geometry) of your two front shocks. This is why Doo was supplying two shocks with the S36 kit. I believe the new shocks are a 1/2 " shorter than the older shocks.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
2008 skid and 2011 narrow front end on 2010 sled...Opinions?

Seems it could be best of both worlds. Approach angle of 08 for getting on top with less wrenching. Narrow front end would bring the manuverability of the 11...

What do u think?

Depends on what you want your sled to do. The suggested setup Will be better in the powder with shallow approach angle and the narrow front is easier to carve however the shallow angle will add ski pressure. There is always a trade-off.Look at the Alternative Impact narrow Moly front end. Much lighter and stronger than the stock 11 arms.

P
Mar 30, 2008
I believe you need to reduce the shock length (change in geometry) of your two front shocks. This is why Doo was supplying two shocks with the S36 kit. I believe the new shocks are a 1/2 " shorter than the older shocks.

Ya I had monster performance cut me some 16.5" shocks when I did the conversion, the ski pressure is still to much for my liking even if setup as loose as possible. I just ordered the kit from Toms Snowmobile that has the longer Fox Float for a front shock and a Fox Zero Pro for the rear, should help relieve some of that pressure.

C

cortez

Feb 12, 2009
anyone know what the difference in center shock length is between the 08 skid and 2011/2012 skid? im considering putting a s36 front end on my 08 as well, and wondering what length of center shock would get me close to the 2011 setup on my rear. Also what length front shocks does the s36 setup use?

C

Cabana Boy

Mar 1, 2011
I would also be interested in knowing the front shock length for the upgrade. I think it's 14.5 but not sure. I bought the Alternate Impact 35.7 front but don't have shocks yet. Probably going with 16.5" fox float 2 as I don't really care that much about trail banging. The twist that my machine has is an Avid extended chain case with the Baker rear suspension mod. The Baker mod allows you to climb like crazy but has a tendency to keep more weight on the skis. The Avid chaincase also placed the rear skid 1" lower and 1" further back to make carving even harder. I think I need to add length to the front shock and put on an adjustable limiter strap for easy adjustment and get some weight off the skis? Anybody dealt with this combination?

The wide stance and Baker mod worked pretty good in the trees as a 163 x 2.5. The Avid chaincase and a 174 x 3 made the handling much worse than it should have. Doesn't help that I'm 5'6".

Premium Features