• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Opinions of Aerocharger turbos?

G
Apr 23, 2008
This thread will remain open event though it seems some can't refrain from attacking each other rather than just dealing with the OPINION .

Rocky,, no offense taken,,

Though I agree on EFI I do not agree on DI ,, the damage extent is just to risky.
The future will not see an oem 2 stroke turbo,,to much room for warranty fraud. but thats my opinion..lol

a turbo 4 stroke IS on the way..

Now we will just watch..

Gus, I only post under my name no hiding ..

Last edited:
C

cs1006

Jan 1, 2008
Chin up Gus , every now and again we all need a good swift kick , it was your turn is all no hard feelins over here, couldnt have said it better Rock good post. |Were gonna shift over and watch Brad , Chris and the others with the Aerocharged ETEC , Nitrousman we got a monkey free kit waitin for you give me the P.O. brother

See you at the races Magoo LOL:crazy:

Last edited:
G
Apr 23, 2008
I must admit that my feelings on this are biased, I feel for those who have had issue but I must look at it from both sides to be fair.

The aerocharger is a viable option for those who really are NOT going to be boost pushers, Myself, well I am so they dont fit me.

the desire to use a self contained turbo with vatn is one we all share, its hard to NOT like the simplicity in installing one.

For those who desire one the end result is you will have the turbo you desire with a twist of variable vanes .

Vatn turbos do fit the tuning of a 2 stroke a bit better than those without.

I still fear the durability but I am willing to learn..

I sure do wish they had a 3582 type with 40 psi capability

Gus

Last edited:
H

hurleyboarder21

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 12, 2003
Snohomish, WA
LOL your a funny guy:laugh:
Calm down with 19 whole posts on here youll blow a base gasket!!!

Looks like you might blow a headgasket with your 1000+ posts....
Thanks for ruining this thread with your condescending attitude and bashing. People want to hear opinions, and that alone. Share your experience, stop bashing other peoples opinions, and chill out. Must have some stock in Garrett turbos.

If I'm not mistaken, aeros are can be over spooled very easily. Is that what causes failures trying to make higher boost at higher elevations? The turbo has to work twice as hard to make 12 psi at 10,000 ft than at 5,0000 ft, thus making more heat causing failure, correct?

Any positive info would be helpful to all....

Last edited:
P
Dec 7, 2007
Mill Creek, WA
Gentlemen,

I've enjoyed reading this thread. I will say that it has been a little bit difficult with some posts. Rocky, in his most recent post was well-typed, spelled correctly, and used the punctuation correctly.

I don't want to be a grammar cop, and it's clear that there have been some feelings roughed up a little bit. Yes, it can be back to the Ford/Chevy debate, (we all know Dodge is best) and we all have opinions, that are formed by our experiences.

I don't have an axe to grind with Garrett, or Aerocharger. But, I can use my own experience to see that when folks use race results to overlay onto recreational advice, things can be misunderstood. And, frankly while I agree that racing is where a huge amount of R&D is done, I don't believe the results can directly compare to the common rider, in any motorsport.

What drew me to this thread, is that I would like to someday throw a turbo on my D8. I don't need maximum HP, but I value reliability, and I really like the air to water intercooler for the intake as most of the areas I can ride in can get tight. So, the HM kit, supported by Fastrax, that uses an Aerocharger is looking very appealing to me. Sure, I DON'T like the higher cost, (it's almost double), but the reviews on how smooth the power is, and the overall kit have been excellent. Riding the areas that I tend to ride, the rider feedback has been good for the HM kit, so I'm leaning that direction.

Mr. Bohne,
First of all, thank you for being a moderator.
You are a moderator, and that brings a certain set of responsibilities to the table. Frankly, I think spelling and punctuation skills count if you want to be taken seriously, and respected. I have no axe to grind with you, and I want to be respectful of your role as a moderator, and the role of all moderators. But, I agree with Rocky on this in that I feel you have injected your opinion, and presented it as fact in this thread. Being a moderator is a significant responsibility. One that I am grateful to all mods for stepping up, and donating their time to the cause. But that responsibility includes being careful to offer opinions, and experiences, and represent them as such, when that is what they are. I don't doubt the experiences that you have had, I believe you. Please know that.

Thank you all for taking the time to share your experiences, and opinions.

PE

Last edited:
G
Apr 23, 2008
Although I enjoy helping.

I will not ever hold back my opinion of a PRODUCT regardless of how anyone feels.

Its how I operate. like it or not its me.

Once again personal attacks were and are not what is accepted .
No ones opinion of the product is taken as a personal attack, addressing each other with piddly name calling and ethics is what makes this job much like being a vice principal !!!:drum::drum::boink::boink::boink::boink:

Gus

on a good note its well past time for the sleds to out in the new owners hands..

brycter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
West Haven, Utah
www.turboboys.net
I am going to tell my side of the Aerocharger And Garrett story.

Before I start I don't want any one to think that I am posting anything to bash or steer anyone into something that they don't want. Just the Brycter story.

Both turbo's have their place in the market. Both do what they say. Build boost! Both have options the other one doesn't. Both will make you smile when they work good and both will make you cry when it comes time to repair them.

I will stand up for kawgrn. We did have some turbo's that the vent plug did fall out on the aero's this was a plug that we never even touched to fill the turbo with oil. We did not run one of the dome covers. What happend in our set ups is the vent needed to be to the top and they would fall into the turbo. :face-icon-small-sad

I feel it is a conflict of interest when the manufacture of a turbo starts to build a kit to compete aganist the guys that are selling there product. I feel that the turbo munufacture's have the patents, tecnology, and know how to build a better turbo, and also the know how to help the kit builder. That is where their focus should be! Exspecally if they want to sell turbo's.

Also give us the opportunity to give a few of our kits out on demo or buy some market share. Just like they are doing now. I cannot compete with the person who builds the turbo for $800-$900 and sells it to me for $2300. Just bad bussiness in my eyes. One way street. Never any support to us buyers and supporters who used our money to build the best kit we knew how.

I tried to get info and help from the factory but very little was given to me personally. I kind of felt like I (Meaning) Bryce was looked at as the read headed step child that was a pain in the neck. Also I was told that our set up's and kits were built wrong when things went wrong or didn't work (Well help me out. Teach me.) After a while you get a little butt hurt. The market wanted Garrett and we did not supply it. We defended the Aerocharger turbo and marketed it alot. Sold a fair amount but never enough for the Aerocharger clan.

Customers were always calling for tunning issues and for questions on why the sled would act crazy and lose a tune. It was crazy! We started to build a Garrett kit and and all the problem just have gone away. No more "Hey what is the problem?" calls. No more "I just can't get it to run!" calls. And no more "Can i just take you riding with me everytime?" calls. We could always make them work but the customers couldn't. I understand I am the builder of the kit and should know more then my customer. We never changed anything with the kit when we hung the Garrett just piped it to fit the turbo. It works great. Alot of our customer have now switched to the Garrett becuase they have heard of the success and performance of the kit now.

Do i like the extra componets of the Garrett turbo NO! It takes up more room, It is harder for us to build, and doesn't look as clean. It takes more inventory and just plain doesn't look as good. Also fitting them into the tight spot of the xp is harder.

So what is the bottom line here. Build what makes you happy:face-icon-small-hap. I have a opinion and so does the girl down the street. She see's it one way I see it another. But i will tell you this My customers plain like the xp Garrett turbo kit. I like the Garrett kit. So i have to sell what the market wants and what builds up the company name.

Will I sell a Aerocharger turbo? Yes, if the customer wants it and if it fits their needs. I guess that is if I can still buy one after my story is out there.

Keep boosting!!!:rapture:

Last edited:
D
Nov 26, 2009
malad Idaho
boost rules

Ive had two aerocharger 66 turbos one on xp800 one on 1200 skidoo. xp always up and down always trying to tune.I had TurboPerformance put the garret kit on flawless all day long :face-icon-small-cooThe 1200 skidoo runs really well with aerocharger at 5000 ft elevation.It won high points grass draggin 2009.When i switch it for mountain ridin at 8000 ft elevation and up it is like the xp with the aerocharger always trying to tune it.TurboPerformance just got done putting a garret on the 1200 looks great cant wait to ride it.

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
What moves more water?

A fire hose at 8 psi or a fish tank hose at 18 psi?

Just like any pressurized system it is about VOLUME not PSI.

So your saying that a garrett has no volume ??? I have a 2.75 inch charge tube from my turbo to the airbox,,,Volume I think I have that !!! and my pressure ratio with a 2871 is in the sweet spot!!!! And your right I have a problem with any vendor who doesnt stand behind their product!!!!!!!!My self and guys like Brycter have spent enough money!

And I see that the polaris pros of OVS, silber and boondocker and twisted are all up and running and finalizing their fueling and clutching and Aero is looking for pistons!!!!

Last edited:

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
Although I enjoy helping.

I will not ever hold back my opinion of a PRODUCT regardless of how anyone feels.

Its how I operate. like it or not its me.

Once again personal attacks were and are not what is accepted .
No ones opinion of the product is taken as a personal attack, addressing each other with piddly name calling and ethics is what makes this job much like being a vice principal !!!:drum::drum::boink::boink::boink::boink:

Gus

on a good note its well past time for the sleds to out in the new owners hands..
I
I agree with you Gus,Honesty is the best policy!!!!

G
Apr 23, 2008
What moves more water?

A fire hose at 8 psi or a fish tank hose at 18 psi?

Just like any pressurized system it is about VOLUME not PSI.

You are right and you are dead wrong.
No aero of anysize will outflow a garrett .or out perform one.
thats all just aero propaganda..

its a shame there are no real unbiased tests other than the dyno results that DO prove the weakness and false adveritsing of the aerocharger.

read this quick it will be deleted in blink of an eye

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
How can your PM's be locked for good for telling the truth?????? this is just wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
so should we should rename this post only good opinions of AERO,s?? and you guys that got Gus banned should be ashamed!!! I guess it's not enough to tell the truth only how much you spend advertising!!!! I hope you guys all put aeros on your sleds, then you will understand!!!!!

Last edited:

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
I am going to tell my side of the Aerocharger And Garrett story.

Before I start I don't want any one to think that I am posting anything to bash or steer anyone into something that they don't want. Just the Brycter story.

Both turbo's have their place in the market. Both do what they say. Build boost! Both have options the other one doesn't. Both will make you smile when they work good and both will make you cry when it comes time to repair them.

I will stand up for kawgrn. We did have some turbo's that the vent plug did fall out on the aero's this was a plug that we never even touched to fill the turbo with oil. We did not run one of the dome covers. What happend in our set ups is the vent needed to be to the top and they would fall into the turbo. :face-icon-small-sad

I feel it is a conflict of interest when the manufacture of a turbo starts to build a kit to compete aganist the guys that are selling there product. I feel that the turbo munufacture's have the patents, tecnology, and know how to build a better turbo, and also the know how to help the kit builder. That is where their focus should be! Exspecally if they want to sell turbo's.

Also give us the opportunity to give a few of our kits out on demo or buy some market share. Just like they are doing now. I cannot compete with the person who builds the turbo for $800-$900 and sells it to me for $2300. Just bad bussiness in my eyes. One way street. Never any support to us buyers and supporters who used our money to build the best kit we knew how.

I tried to get info and help from the factory but very little was given to me personally. I kind of felt like I (Meaning) Bryce was looked at as the read headed step child that was a pain in the neck. Also I was told that our set up's and kits were built wrong when things went wrong or didn't work (Well help me out. Teach me.) After a while you get a little butt hurt. The market wanted Garrett and we did not supply it. We defended the Aerocharger turbo and marketed it alot. Sold a fair amount but never enough for the Aerocharger clan.

Customers were always calling for tunning issues and for questions on why the sled would act crazy and lose a tune. It was crazy! We started to build a Garrett kit and and all the problem just have gone away. No more "Hey what is the problem?" calls. No more "I just can't get it to run!" calls. And no more "Can i just take you riding with me everytime?" calls. We could always make them work but the customers couldn't. I understand I am the builder of the kit and should know more then my customer. We never changed anything with the kit when we hung the Garrett just piped it to fit the turbo. It works great. Alot of our customer have now switched to the Garrett becuase they have heard of the success and performance of the kit now.

Do i like the extra componets of the Garrett turbo NO! It takes up more room, It is harder for us to build, and doesn't look as clean. It takes more inventory and just plain doesn't look as good. Also fitting them into the tight spot of the xp is harder.

So what is the bottom line here. Build what makes you happy:face-icon-small-hap. I have a opinion and so does the girl down the street. She see's it one way I see it another. But i will tell you this My customers plain like the xp Garrett turbo kit. I like the Garrett kit. So i have to sell what the market wants and what builds up the company name.

Will I sell a Aerocharger turbo? Yes, if the customer wants it and if it fits their needs. I guess that is if I can still buy one after my story is out there.

Keep boosting!!!:rapture:

be careful you dont want to get banned for telling the truth

Last edited:
G
Apr 23, 2008
my pm box is not responding to actions to delete.
Yes it is locked or blocked or something. if you can fix it thanks
I cant pm you so here it is..

Gus

brycter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
West Haven, Utah
www.turboboys.net
Ok Guys you have made your point that you don't like the aero turbo. Now it is time for you to take a break and call Aero direct if you need to work out a problem.

I see how you feel kawgrn and i know that you want to stand on the roof top and shout. But there are also others that have had very good results with the Aero. Lets hear from them and keep the attacks back. Brad does work very hard on his product and just because we don't use it or have found a different way to go. Doesn't stop the fact that Aero has a passion for there product. lets let both side of the fence make a stand. Maybe we Can learn something that we didn't know.

thanks brycter :nod:

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
I ran my 53 series Aero for almost 5 years before I switched. I ran it mostly at 10psi and sometimes 12psi. In that time I only melted one piston(my fault) and it didnt hurt the turbo, maybe I got lucky, dunno. I was going to do some maintenance on it and change the oil in it, turbo doc told me to measure the level and add some if necessary. Never had any problems with it, no shaft play.

I was under the impression that the variable vain would be as responsive as it could get, but mine was always slow out of the hole. I switched to a Mitsu Evo turbo, this little turbo is great out of the the hole, but it wont hold the top end against a Garrett. I liked the simplicity of the oiling system of the Aero, no tank, pump, lines, cooling to deal with but at the end of the day I feel it was worth it.

If I was to do it again it would go in this order. 1) Mitsu Evo---because of its low cost---lower boost setup 2)Garrett ball bearing--- Medium cost---big boost 3) Aero---Largest cost--- simplicity.

Hope this gives you a little info to the kind of luck I have had with mine.....

Premium Features