• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

uhf radio

C
Nov 26, 2007
I think the small handhelds like garmin rino that alot of people use are in 465 frequency range and anything above 300 mhz is considered uhf, so I'd say the answer would be yes. The helmet communicators that you see sometimes are 900mhz.

Last edited:
I

ikold

Dec 2, 2007
All GMRS are UHF .

We use older Motorola Saber radios on VHF. I think VHF carries better in the mountains.

rmk2112

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2009
Kennewick, WA
www.northstar-plumbing.com
So........I'm still confused.

I have a Garmin 650 and my riding partner wants to just get a small 2 way radio.....we want to be able to communicate.

A regular handheld and a Garmin will be able to speak with each other?

How do you know which two way radio channels are compatible with the channel numbers on the Garmin?

R

Rev Kev

Nov 27, 2007
Lapeer Michigan
So........I'm still confused.

I have a Garmin 650 and my riding partner wants to just get a small 2 way radio.....we want to be able to communicate.

A regular handheld and a Garmin will be able to speak with each other?

How do you know which two way radio channels are compatible with the channel numbers on the Garmin?

I would answer that as yes, the Rino 650 shows it has FRS/GMRS channels, so it should communicate with all other FRS/GMRS Radios such as the Audiovox, and Motorola radios. All the channel numbers should also be the same.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=82798&ra=true

bakininthesun

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Roy / StarValley Wyoming
We use the Motorola GP 300 they are a uhf 5 watt radio. I bought one of my own channels for my group and then programmed an frs channel in for the others with a talk about. This has about 15 mile range in the trees and 35 to 40 line of sight. The batteries last about 3 to 4 days before recharge if you keep them warm. Look on ebay u can buy these pretty cheap.

Premium Features