• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Vholdr Contour HD 1080P Helmet Cam

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
For the helmet mounts do you have to buy that universal mount holder accessory?

Engine Pro 5x

Premium Member
Sep 20, 2009
KANSAS
Thanks for the heads up Thistledoo !! I wondered how strong the clip was. I eliminated the plastic clip. Sounds like you cats had a bit of a rough day !! >>>>.
HillsboroRaceEngines125Large.jpg

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on one RIGHT NOW, but just need a couple of questions answered.

The diff between the ContourHD and the ContourHD 1080 cam is that for $80 more you have just more resolution options with the 1080hd model right?

Do you HAVE to buy that universal mount for goggles or helmet mount?
I am assuming YES?

Last edited:
T

the_hog

Nov 26, 2007
Eastern MT/Western ND
I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on one RIGHT NOW, but just need a couple of questions answered.

The diff between the ContourHD and the ContourHD 1080 cam is that for $80 more you have just more resolution options with the 1080hd model right?

Do you HAVE to buy that universal mount for goggles or helmet mount?
I am assuming YES?

Scott, yes you have more resolution options with the 1080p model and it records in 1080p (which is true HD) instead of 720p which the ContourHD records in.

No you do not have to buy the universal mount for the goggle or helmet mount. The camera comes with everything you need to mount it with either the flat surface (helmet) mount or the goggle mount.

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
So I had my first issue with my COntour 1080 helmet cam. The power switch cam off the circuit board. Simple fix really but I sent it back to let them do it....just in case opening it up voided some kind of warranty.

I had several interactions with their customer service department via email and during business hours they responded to all my requests within minutes. After getting an RM# I boxed it up on Friday and sent it off. I sent the original battery and the camera with no MicroSD card.

Well to my surprise today a brand new Camera arrived with all the extras that a basic camera comes with. Camera, 2g MicroSD card, Battery, Flat surface mount, goggle strap mount, and a couple leashes. Pretty good considering the conditions of my camera and how easily it would have been to fix. (mine was a little beat up from use and ready for a new lens cover kit.)

I must say that I am very impressed with the camera and the company.

I would recommend anybody thinking about getting a camera...this is the one for you!

Don't forget that Zachcreek on Snowest has great prices for SW'ers...PM him for more details.

Z

Zipperno

Jan 9, 2008
Nordkjosbotn, Norway
great cam....contact zachcreek on here for deals

goggle strap...suction cup mount..handle bar mount...custom helmet boom

put it where ever you can and see what you can capture.

when in 1080 mode you are only using 110 degrees..all other is shot in 135 degree So i rarely shoot in 1080. Unless i am missing some setting that can be changed?

Only had mine come off the goggle strap once...but was saved by the leash. I make a little zip tie leash when mounting on my hood or other surfaces with the suction cup mount.

The best is when you can get a two shot..with a stationary cam catching the same stuff then edit it together.....

a quick example..this was shot in 1080 and you can see the perspective is a little tight IMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-XTYmfwSV0

What kind of settings do you use for sunlight and snow? Contrast, exposure, sharpness and metering??

In your video the contours shows up good.

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
I have actually never changed the settings...so I guess whatever the factory settings are.

lol

Z

Zipperno

Jan 9, 2008
Nordkjosbotn, Norway
I have actually never changed the settings...so I guess whatever the factory settings are.

lol

Ok. I also used my camera with factory settings, but didnt like how the videos came out in sunshine and snow.

Got a tip to try this:
Contrast 45, Exposure -4, Sharpness +5 Metering Average.

Hasnt tried it yet though...

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
Thanks....I need to mess around with the settings more

going to do the high at tall hd
and low at 760 with 60fps

what kind of conditions is that setting recommended for?

Z

Zipperno

Jan 9, 2008
Nordkjosbotn, Norway
Thanks....I need to mess around with the settings more

going to do the high at tall hd
and low at 760 with 60fps

what kind of conditions is that setting recommended for?

Sunny and bright white snow....

I found that the factory settings didnt show definition of the snow, everything was just white...

Might need a uv lens kit to get it perfect.

Z

Zachcreek

Oct 18, 2008
Buena Vista Colorado
Contour HD

We have some of the Contour HD Helmet cams that we are blowing out at $199.99 plus shipping. You will not see this price advertised on our internet site. We are also going to put together special pricing on BCA package deals for next season also. ie: Shovel, probe, pack, Tracker2 etc.

PM me if you are interested. We also have 8g and 16g cards in stock.

Y

yamahaboy701

Oct 15, 2008
So I had my first issue with my COntour 1080 helmet cam. The power switch cam off the circuit board. Simple fix really but I sent it back to let them do it....just in case opening it up voided some kind of warranty.

I had several interactions with their customer service department via email and during business hours they responded to all my requests within minutes. After getting an RM# I boxed it up on Friday and sent it off. I sent the original battery and the camera with no MicroSD card.

Well to my surprise today a brand new Camera arrived with all the extras that a basic camera comes with. Camera, 2g MicroSD card, Battery, Flat surface mount, goggle strap mount, and a couple leashes. Pretty good considering the conditions of my camera and how easily it would have been to fix. (mine was a little beat up from use and ready for a new lens cover kit.)

I must say that I am very impressed with the camera and the company.

I would recommend anybody thinking about getting a camera...this is the one for you!

Don't forget that Zachcreek on Snowest has great prices for SW'ers...PM him for more details.

The customer service is the best I have dealt with in a long time. I had two problems, first I ripped my backdoor off on accident. I emailed customer service asking how much for a new door and how to replace it. The emailed me back asap saying they will send me a new door free and they linked a video on how to replace the door. I replaced the door and a few weeks later my lasers stopped working so they gave me a RMA number and I sent it in. Within one day of receiving it I had a tracking number for a brand new camera back to me. To my surprise the new camera was in the original box and had all the stuff you get with it when you buy it new... so I have two helmet straps, batteries and etc. Great Customer Service, I had two buddies looking for helmet cams and I would not let them buy anything but ContourHD 1080p.

I
Sep 2, 2010
Seattle, Wa
with gear, customer service pulls alot of weight on my buying decisions. Good to hear the positive experiences with this company. I bought one this summer for snowboarding and snowmobiling. So far I have tested it out on 4 wheelers with pretty good results.
Alot sleeker design then the gopro models.

C

cortez

Feb 12, 2009
i agree, i have been humming and hawwing over contour hd or gopro, and i cant seem to decide.. But with these posts i think i will go contour HD. its much sleeker looking, and its good to hear how happy you guys are with the units. also, like said above, customer service is huge on electronics, especially ones that are designed to get snowy and wet and beat up like these cameras.. i will be putting in my order soon.

also, as for mounting options, i have seen that they offer velcro straps that go through helmet venting, allowing for a more sturdy helmet mount.

Premium Features