• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

I searched- carb tuning q's

Dec 25, 2009
All of the threads returned from my search did not apply to my sled.

What it is:

1994 (late) 600 triple XLT

triple mikunis, completely stock.

Where it is:

between 800'-1800' elevation

I just rebuilt the top end due to a base gasket failure resulting in a lean overheat.

I am currently running a few splashes of two stroke oil in the gas tank (in addition to factory oil injection) to give it some extra lubrication during break-in.

I pre-lubed the bearings with 2-stroke during assembly, including the cylinder walls and the wrist pins.

It is still burning oil out of the crank case, and I think that this is causing it to act a little funny.

So far the engine only has about 10-15 mins of run time on it, no WFO yet, just tooling around the back yard between idle and 7,00RPM.

What it is doing:

At idle, it will hover around 3800RPM for a few seconds and then settle down to about 2100RPM for about a minute and then threaten to stall.

Coming off closed throttle, it bogs for a few seconds and then comes right to life -hold the F--k on status.

Is this caused be the excess oil? If so I wont worry about it until I get a couple tanks of gas through it. If not, what should I do with the big thumb screws on the side of the carb? In or out?

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
We had a bunch of xlt's in our group back in the day. I wrenched on all of them. Those sleds are extremely picky about having the carbs precisely syncronized. It is not that terribley hard to do, but you do need a vacum guage to fine tune them. The run like you are describing yours when they are off by a small amount. Get them right on, and all of a sudden it will run very very crisp. The difference is amazing. Imo, it would be well worth your while to take it to a shop that you trust, and spend 1 hour of labor to have them sync your carbs for you.

To get you started in the right direction though, remove your airbox and hold the throttle at wot. feel across the tops of the carbs on the inside. All 3 slides should be flush with the top of the bore. Adjust the throttle cable where it goes into the carb to make this happen. Next, fine a drill bit that just barely fits under the slide when the slide is in the idle position. Check all 3 carbs and get that distance equal. You do this adjustment by tuning the big screw on the side of the carb in to raise it, out to lower it. Be very careful on moving your throttle cables around in different positions. This creates them to be different lengths, and mess it all up. Always route it the same and don't twist it over. From there you will need to fine tune with a vacum guage and get your small air screws correct, and raise or lower your idle to where it needs to be. Good luck.

Premium Features