• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

I am in LOVE with my new 2010 Nytro SE

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Oh what a glorious day!

Spent the whole day with my lovely new Nytro SE up in Island Park.

Fresh Snow.
Buckets of the stuff.

And almost NO ONE was there.

Miles and Miles and Miles of trails with not a single track in the fresh fallen powder.

Managed to get myself stuck a couple times and didn't even have to dig her out to get unstuck.

Was laying down a beautiful 18 inch trench through the trees.

I LOVE THIS SLED.

And all day never over 6,000rpm (being a very good boy on the break in period!)

Got in 50 miles today.
Going back for another 50 miles tomorrow.

I AM LOVING THIS SLED.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

T

thinksnow

Nov 26, 2007
DICKINSON, ND
As the others have stated, vary the throttle but use all of it. Don't hold it wide open for a long time, but get the RPMs up and down.

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
Yep, wring that baby out Chris! Just dont hold it open for too long, and vary the throttle.

We also need some pictures of the new sled tearing it up too.

When I ride, I let it warm up until the light goes out...take it easy for a few minutes to get the temps up the rest of the way and then its game on from there.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
When I ride, I let it warm up until the light goes out...take it easy for a few minutes to get the temps up the rest of the way and then its game on from there.

agreed. It also lets you make sure that all the stuff you tinkered with since the last time you went out is working too.;)

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
About the break-in: Do not be too gentle, you want the rings to seat. I always break my sleds in the hard way...
The Yamaha Tech was pretty EMPHATIC about that first 100 miles.

Absolutely do not go over 6,000rpm, or I WILL see oil consumption issue many miles down the road.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Agree with Zip. Let it warm up then ride it. Don't be nice and don't hold the same RPMs for an extended period of time.
Been very carefull to allow the engine to come up to full temp before we took off. Can't check the oil unless it is hot.

Today, with a few more miles on her, I am sure we will play a bit more with the RPM.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Day Two:

Past the 100 mile low RPM breakin phase.

And THE LOVE AFFAIR CONTINUES...

I LOVE THIS SLED.

Today we got off the trail and into all of the fresh powder that has fallen in Island Park in the last couple days.

There was a good 3ft in many places. More than enough to bury the Nytros. Managed to get my but stuck several times, and in every case was able to ride out of the stuck without having to dig out the sled. The abilities of the "SE" continue to impress me.

For a short period we had to ride over some badly "wash-boarded" trails, and I have to admit that was not pleasant on this sled at all. That was a stand-up only option. Perhaps I need to add some air to the suspension, but it would bottom out time and time again with my 230lbs on it.

But off trail in the powder she was a joy to ride.!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
picture.php

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
what kind of air pressure are you running?

I know the timbersled isn't the same, but in my airshocks on it I run 145 rear and 85-90 in the front and it rides like a dream. If you have too much pressure the shocks can feel like your are bottoming out when you are actually just limiting the travel because of too much air pressure. The best way to check travel is with a zip tie on the shock...that will tell you if you are bottoming all the way or not. One other thing about the Air shocks...I always check mine when we leave the pickup, and when we get up to where we are riding. I almost always have to adjust the air back to the pressures I want...BUT it is totally worth it because of how much better they ride over the stock suspension.

washboard trails do suck...and you are right, you pretty much have to stand up through all the rough stuff. Once you get used to the sled though it shouldn't be that big of a deal to pop up for the bumps and sit back down for the smooth trail. With the air shocks you should be able to dial them in so that it isn't so bad.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
what kind of air pressure are you running?

Right now they are at whatever they came with from the factory.

Today the sleds come into the garage for the first time.
Get fully de-iced and my learning process really begins in earnest.

N
Feb 6, 2008
I'm running 80 lbs in my front shocks, and 125 lbs in both rear shocks. I found this was very good, rode over some very rough terrain on the way towards the deep stuff, and I was very happy with the suspension. Still, no matter what, very whooped out trails require stand up riding no matter what suspension you're running. Enjoy that sled !

D

Dimebag

Mar 11, 2009
I'm glad you're happy with your new sled.

I also got myself a new-to-me 08 Nytro about a month ago..

And I'm like you, I just love it. :beer;

R
Feb 20, 2008
clutch question

hey guys i got a brand new mtx se 162 aswell love it! im wondering though i cant seem to get the rpm's where i want, wide open it gets to around 8800, seems like it should be able to get way higher like around 10,000. so yesterday i rode i have about 170 miles on her so shes broke in good! i took the primary off just to look at the weights they seem heavy all the rivets are out? im wondering if i should lighten up the primary? any suggestions? im also wanting to find out what weights come stock? im checking with my dealership tommorow. just feel like it needs a little more pop to her...

Premium Features