• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rode my XR1200 for the first time today

DenverR1

Premium Member
Dec 10, 2007
Denver, CO
We got enough snow around Denver for me to take it out. So far I've put on the 154" skid/track and also the narrow a-arms to make it like a summit. Still need some more coin for the turbo. But I was really impressed with how easily I could lay it over! I figured with the extra weight I'd have to wrestle with it more, but it handled as easily as my XP did. The power was not as snappy as the XP, but that's what the turbo will be for. Now I really can't wait to get it done!

T

tranquillicer

Nov 27, 2007
Sask. Canada
Heavy??

We got enough snow around Denver for me to take it out. So far I've put on the 154" skid/track and also the narrow a-arms to make it like a summit. Still need some more coin for the turbo. But I was really impressed with how easily I could lay it over! I figured with the extra weight I'd have to wrestle with it more, but it handled as easily as my XP did. The power was not as snappy as the XP, but that's what the turbo will be for. Now I really can't wait to get it done!
Don't get me wrong here cause I happen to think these XR1200's could be the next exciting thing to hit the industry for making hp and modding up,BUT when a Yammi guy says about a Nytro or Apex what you just said about your XR1200- being as easy to handle as your xp and you dont even notice the weight......holy crap would the guy ever get ripped apart!!
If you think its fun now just "weight" till ya boost it. Maybe you'll keep up with the ride reports too?

DenverR1

Premium Member
Dec 10, 2007
Denver, CO
You should know better than to speak of mods then post no pictures! Lets have some!

My camera's port is broken, I can take all the pics I want but just can't load them into the computer. Working on it!.....

DenverR1

Premium Member
Dec 10, 2007
Denver, CO
Don't get me wrong here cause I happen to think these XR1200's could be the next exciting thing to hit the industry for making hp and modding up,BUT when a Yammi guy says about a Nytro or Apex what you just said about your XR1200- being as easy to handle as your xp and you dont even notice the weight......holy crap would the guy ever get ripped apart!!
If you think its fun now just "weight" till ya boost it. Maybe you'll keep up with the ride reports too?

I hear ya bro. Who knows, it could have been the light, fluffy snow, or the fact that it has a 154" skid where my XP had a 163. And after I get some seat time in the mts I might change my mind. But I honestly didn't notice the difference. It really only weighs about 60 lbs more than the XP did. Maybe the extra weight makes it easier to put on it's side? My XP even had the inner wheel kit and this one doesn't, so even that should make it a little harder to lay over. Either way, I was really impressed and hope I can turbo it soon!

DenverR1

Premium Member
Dec 10, 2007
Denver, CO
Glad to hear a good report, DenverR1.

What tunnel did you go with? OEM or aftermarket?

MD.

I kept the OEM tunnel and put an extension on it. I also put a 154" hillclimb skid on it. Still gonna need the stiffer springs. Today I put on a 10" riser. I had to get a throttle extension and thought I might be able to get by with the brake line, but looks like I'm going to have to extend that to.

Rotax_Kid

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Regina, SK
Nice...sounds like the machine is working well for you. What did you do for clutching? Running the STM or Polar yet?

DenverR1

Premium Member
Dec 10, 2007
Denver, CO
Nice...sounds like the machine is working well for you. What did you do for clutching? Running the STM or Polar yet?

Again, no turbo on board.....YET! But I've been looking into both clutches and it seems that the Polar is getting better reviews. And if I'm not mistaken a little easier on the pocketbook. I'll probably go with them. How is your build coming? You've been silent for a while.

Rotax_Kid

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Regina, SK
Again, no turbo on board.....YET! But I've been looking into both clutches and it seems that the Polar is getting better reviews. And if I'm not mistaken a little easier on the pocketbook. I'll probably go with them. How is your build coming? You've been silent for a while.

Hey dude,

I won't be adding boost this year. Fresh motor, needs a bunch of miles to get loose before adding some pressure, and I decided to let things shake down for a year firt ad see how it goes. Concerns about fuel also put the brakes on for time being. We'll see how this year goes.

I've been a bit quietr, but added a bunch of stuff last week. Been working through Solidworks in desig and Algor in stress analysis this week to finish up some lighter tunnel stiffeners, the rest of the tunnel, and a few other bits and pieces I want to do. Getting closer..still a few weeks away though.

I'm also cosidering a Polar. Wouldn't mind trying something different than the TRA for a year and see if YDPC actually speaks truth. Likely need it anyways next year and if I don't someone will be building a boosted machine and will need it anyways.

Premium Features