• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Whats with the REI ads in the performance section???

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
Yha, the Boise REI manager took offense to my assertion that they seem to only support www.winterwildlands.org 's initiatives to brain wash children with their hiky, biky, snow shoey, xcountryskiy, program.

I really doubt REI knows or cares that their advertisement is on here. It's almost perfect, they contract someone to advertise for them, and they can tell motorized customers they support motorized recreation. And, at the same time, tell their "extremist" members and board members, that they had no idea. Plausible deniability.

Last edited:
J
Mar 21, 2008
I have also had good experiences with most "green people" and also enjoy hiking backpacking and camping ect, and after getting into hiking and widerness canoeing have found that most of the emplyees and "typical" customers at rei are just people who like the outdoors and just like to enjoy it differently. On the other hand if they complain about your snowmobile just ask them if they like the fleece jacket they wear while they hike in the fall and then have them explain the effect that manufacturing polyester fleece (and remind them that fleece was popularized by the green crowd) has on the enviorment either they will know its very non green or they will be ignorant, either way you win. (if they start a debate I will do my best to fininsh it) Dont get me wrong we need to show that we are outdoor people and therefore also care about the outdoors as much as anyone because we are actually out there using it rather than fighting with them, and by that I mean we need to be respected by the average hiker/backpacker even though the extremist will never like us.

S

Snowjunky

Jan 19, 2008
Loveland,Colorado
Snowshoe trash

Must of been febuary but I was sleddin with some buddies and ran into some snowshoe people and they left more trash on the ground than I could believe. Long story short is huggers leave sh#t behind. The way of the world huh. As with sledders you have good and bad.

F

flying pig

Jan 17, 2008
Wembley Alberta Canada
I hate the hypocrasy that comes with greenies vs. sledders. Best way we can all deal with it is to make sure that when someone tries to litter they don't succeed. If someone rolls a sled and something comes off, try your best to find it, so on.
On the flipside this noise pollution thing has gone too far. When they close areas to sledders and leave them open to heliskiers that really lights my fire. Whats louder a sled or a chopper? And whats with forestry hovering over us when we're in a valley with cornices around? Don't these people have better things to do?

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kuna
I've seen REI come up as an advertiser on a few sites.
It's because they are a google advertiser.
I've also seen from their own web site, all the organizations that they contribute big money too.
Personally, Until they stop giving money to greenie groups, I and my family won't spend even 1 dime with them.

P
Oct 2, 2008
Cody Wyoming
i was in rei about a year ago and put my purchase on my cabelas' card, the clerk mentioned that rei was very glad that cabelas had opened a retail store in the area, as they had realized a noticable increase in their business on account of the large draw that cabelas had from the surrounding states....in talking to a number of rei employees, they were definitely of two camps, those that hated motorsports and those that liked/or were not opposed to them.....i had easy going conversations with several of them and explained my love of the outdoors, camping, backpacking, hunting and motorsports...several were surprised that i could enjoy the variety of each and not be bound by the ideology of one or the other....while it's easy to go off on some of the radical greens, we gain more support by a tolerance of each other and gaining the support of those more in the middle that haven't really made hard decisions one way or the other....the relatively few who snowmobile need at least the tacit tolerance of other outdoor enthusiasts if we are to remain a viable sport in tto he outback
you talk about being tolerant of people with different interests in the same areas? You speak to the wrong crowd, I just moved out of oregon and the hippies are the the activists who need to practice patience and tolerance. They continually are working to shut down as much as they can and never even get to the areas they so desperatly want to close. I just moved away from the left coast and can only hope I can still ride with my children

King o the Hill

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Long Beach, Ca
www.teamsummit.net
Interestingly enough.... alot of the "reconsider'ers" are reconsidering because they are finding that some of the legislation passed impacts them as well. Guess what.... How many of us remember the mountain bikers and horseback riders wanting quads off the same areas and shutting down areas to them.... well now moutain bikes and horse back is getting ixnayed from the use as well..... so some of the "hard liners" that were mountain bikers are imapcted as well.... so hikers are certainly a voice however, the once "majority" is getting nudged out more and more because the following are being imapcted and have very large voices... hunters, horsebackers, mountain bikers, ATV'ers, sledders, motorcyclers, OHV'ers period and of course.... well hell just about anything but human foot traffic. This is where we all truly need to become the majority and insure we pack out what we pack in and maybe just by sheer attrition these folks will at some time be humbled into seeing our stance and we can open some of these areas back up again. And I have to agree with PB800 the SADDEST part of this whole menagarie is that the yahoos putting much of this legislation into play don't even frequent the areas they are proponents of opening up. THAT SUCKS!!

IMHO~

King

REI, and coors are two of the largest supporters of the sierra club, who are pushing legislation to keeping our butts out of the back country, so every time we support them, they support their own cause. which isn't mine as a snowmobiler, an atv owner, or even a hunter. i had to find a new place to buy longjohns and a new beer....

S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
REI, and coors are two of the largest supporters of the sierra club, who are pushing legislation to keeping our butts out of the back country, so every time we support them, they support their own cause. which isn't mine as a snowmobiler, an atv owner, or even a hunter. i had to find a new place to buy longjohns and a new beer....

COORS!!!!
Sunofa*****.
Better switch.

T
Feb 25, 2008
Ronald, WA
Yet Another Reason....

Another reason not to drink Coors.... (Sorry Skadi)

I heard there is a sewage plant REAL close to where they get their "Mountain Spring Water". No wonder it tastes like sh!t !!!!!!:face-icon-small-sho

Premium Features