• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

FYI ON WATER CAUSING ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
WE HAD A KTM sx450 that would randomly stall, be hard to start, miss then go on, then stall after 3 hours of riding !

We checked all the grounds, water proofed electrical connections, new in line filter, unhooked kill switch, unhooked the after market fuel controller. It would start and run, but a week or two weeks later, same issues.

Problem: drain hole out of the spark plug cavity partially plugged. When it was in the warm shop for a week, the first few hours we parked it that cavity would fill with melt water, then in a few days drain out. What it did was fill the plug cap with rusty water/rusty dust and on the wrong day more water in there would cause running issues.

New cap NGK 8408 NGK vdo5e and plug for good measure, hasn't run that strong in a year.

Oh well, always something.

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Plug cap

I had a similar issue with my yzfx. After couple weeks of hard starting I found the spark plug cap loose. Somehow enough pressure to push cap up. I figure either trapped moisture boiling or freezing. Now periodically check drain hole.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I had a similar issue with my yzfx. After couple weeks of hard starting I found the spark plug cap loose. Somehow enough pressure to push cap up. I figure either trapped moisture boiling or freezing. Now periodically check drain hole.

It’s common for those bikes (14+ yz and fx) add a small metal piece to hold the spark plug cap down.

9781fb4e4ebc9a37106c34ef6a6ad883.jpg

Last edited:

dirtrebel

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Bozeman, MT
On a Ktm 500 a friend epoxied his trail tech temp sensor into the drain hole, not knowing what the hole was for. I warned him but he didn't care, bike is running fine but I'm sure it won't be long till it starts acting up

Premium Features