• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo HO rev bogs/dies with jumps??

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Unless your nonstop overheating the temps in the case should be minimally warmer then running NA. There are cooling jackets all over maintaining case temps.

i thought the HO's where only cylinder cooling, not crank cases also... or thats what i heard, the first years they did the crank cases was the ski doo 1000 motors, or the 800R motors and newer, also supposedly why the 07 800r's had all the crank clearance problems?

R
Dec 28, 2007
Eagle, ID
Correct, the botttom end of an 800HO is not bathed in coolant like the R motor, it only has two small water jackets. Here is a pic of a split blown 800HO motor for reference, 2005 I believe. Which makes me wonder if an 800R motor is the way to go?

For one, if heat is the issue, I see no easy way to grease the mag side bearings externally. The PTO side is easy, there is a factory tube already installed between the two bearings. And my engine has yet to even trigger the water temp light. My clutch gets hot, but I shower it with snow constantly and I learned do not run a chaincase gear ratio less than 1.95 or your belt will hate you.

2halves_zps4c45b4d9.jpg

Last edited:

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
the 800r is alot better of an engine.... basically skidoo threw more technology at the 800r, its the stepping stone for the race of more power and reliability... and fuel economy

our 04 800 ho would get eaten up by our 07 800R.... the 800r has a knock sensor, its vacuum controlled exhaust valves, and among other stuff... so they made it run alot stronger for sure..... hell it was good on fuel too... a hard days ride and it seemed to be like 9 mpg at worst? pretty good if you ask me...

R
Dec 28, 2007
Eagle, ID
I imagine it's not as simple as throwing an R motor in - pipe, y-pipe, electronics would all have to follow. If not, then I'd look at that option. Otherwise if extra grease doesn't work, my only other option is to add an intercooler, which probably doesn't cool the air enough to rid me of this issue. So I'd be back to stock again...

A
Feb 18, 2013
Leduc, AB
I imagine it's not as simple as throwing an R motor in - pipe, y-pipe, electronics would all have to follow. If not, then I'd look at that option. Otherwise if extra grease doesn't work, my only other option is to add an intercooler, which probably doesn't cool the air enough to rid me of this issue. So I'd be back to stock again...

Maybe its time to look for a stronger bearing for turbo applications...

There's plenty of manufacturers out there that can possibly make a sealed / self contained unit.

As for the Y-pipe, I've been told by a few local tuners that you can upgrade to the 2011 Y pipe and gain a bit

R
Dec 28, 2007
Eagle, ID
I have some sealed bearings from Big John now, so I'll cross my fingers it works. Kudos to him and Sled Head for putting up with me as no one else has been able to help yet. Now maybe I can focus more on getting it dialed in. This was last week in McCall:

R
Dec 28, 2007
Eagle, ID
Any fix for the RAVE bellows from inflating too far on a REV? I see TP has a cool jet idea for newer models. The info I've found so far is for newer engines. Tore my first rubber last time.

G
Apr 23, 2008
well, um.. tp has had the regulator for the old style like your since 2003. just call and order it from them.
simple fix been around for a decade bro..

keep smiling man. Josh and I are now on 8 yrs on a 2004 series three 800 thats never had a day UNDER 25 psi. not one crank ever. net even a piston or reeds in the last 4 yrs.

enjoy

Premium Features