• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need Help! suspension Sag with a 98, 700RMK

Hanging in there
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 6, 2009
somewhere in South East Idaho
I have a 98 700 Rmk and the suspension is sagging bad. it has always been soggy but i extended it from a 136 to a 156 track and now it's even worse! Bottoms out with my daughter at 120lbs, any ideas on how to correct this problem??? Thanks Guys!

Dec 15, 2008
Turn in the little adjustment screw on the rear shock all the way in then back it out 1/4 turn. I had a 99 extended to 151 and was able to use the stock setup.
Unless it's just worn out.

P
Nov 1, 2010
Sounds like its time for new springs. Everythings wears out in time. Changing the compression damping will only make the ride firmer, it will not get back the lost travel. Only springs can do that. Given the extra lenth of the skid I would also go to the heavy replacement sring instead of the stock units. I have found that the heavy springs on low setting ride bettet then the lighter ones on high. Mike

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
I've done this twice, a 156 one time and a 159 on my '98. I used the polaris heavy springs on both of them and they were expensive. I don't know about aftermarket springs but have no doubt something is available. The 159 I did a drop n roll so I moved everything around and it's not really relevant, but the '97 156" is a stock skid and still has excessive sag even with the heavy springs. I never went any further with it because it's just a spare, it looks kinda goofy but it works fine. The only way to really compensate is to move the location of the rear scissor mounts, either on the skid rail or the tunnel mounting bracket. If you move the bottom of the scissors they need to go back or if the top it needs to move forward, you need to slightly extend the scissor movement. Maybe look at an '01 151" 800 compared to the '00 136" 800 and take some measurements, they are basically the same skids as the '98 extra-10. Good luck

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Im pretty sure that your springs are shot, and probably your rear shock right along with it. The rear shocks on the RMK from those years wasnt worth much anyway and the vavle train in it was never designed for a skid that long.

What I would do is find a fox shock from that era and have it revalved stiffer. and try to find some stiffer springs. I severely doubt that there are any aftermarket spring options anymore. One thing to consider is using 2 up springs if the length and the coil width is correct they are about as stiff as you can get. that should greatly improve your sag issues and ride quality.

Premium Features