• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

800 storm in xlt help

08nightfire

Oct 10, 2009
NW Iowa
A buddy and I just did a storm build. We looked at putting the motor in the XLT but it would have been alot of work to do. First problem were the pipes 2nd the motor mounts were differnt. After we seen that we stuck with the storm tunnel

C

chadkrump

May 26, 2008
Amenia ND
We did a similar mod this summer, instead of a storm motor in an XLT we put an Ultra motor in an XLT...

It was a decent amount of work, first was lining up the clutches, etc, with the airbox and airbox cutout for the steering shaft, motor mounts had to be changed. airbox was modified, ended up putting an edge style coolant bottle on to save space, oil tank worked thou...

we put tripple SLP pipes on it which barely fit, had to notch some of the hood to get the hood to close.

long story short, a decent amount of work and fab work

good luck!

CK

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
600 sp

i have a 600 sp tripple in a wedge chassis xlt. what a pain. dont know why i kept insisting to make it work because it still dosnt. all the motors that have already been stated in this thread have been put in a wedge by the factory at some point where the sp never was. headache city it can be done but why? with the amount of time and money you will spend i would definitely try to find a 2000 ish rmk

J

jer

Feb 24, 2003
everett wa.
I put an ultra moter in a storm chassie the moter staps where stange and the moter sits high but everything worked out the hardest part is figuring out an air box

jer

Mar 13, 2009
RE: 800 Storm in XLT help

Got to find a custom steering post, motor straps, torque stop bracket from a Storm chassis, figure out your intake (air box versus pods) lift the motor about one inch for steering arm clearance, the bloody list goes on! All this in hopes that your hood is not that nice so it does'nt hurt quite as much when it comes time to make the pipes fit. I looked into it extensively and decided to put a top end in my 600 motor. But if ya got all the parts, let er' rip!

Premium Features