• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

installing rider-select delete?

L
Nov 28, 2007
Golden
05 900. looking to replace my rider select with a new timbersled bracket. anyone do this without pulling the tank? looks a little tight in there.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
Shouldn't have to pull the tank... :confused:

Top cowl has to come off, pull off the side panels and remove the two torx screws on the side and the two on the top. Take off the gas cap, there's a big nut that has to come off the filler neck too. Unplug key/tether and the cowl should lift right off.

Pull off what's left of the rider select, bolt up the eliminator kit and fasten the steering post to the bushing.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
Did you buy delete kit from Timbersled recently? I contacted them a few months ago and was told they're not making it anymore.

As far as I know they're still making 'em for the '05s. The 06 900 steering post comes up at an angle and the 05 kit doesn't fit them.

That's why I did the $15 Ace Hardware version.

L
Nov 28, 2007
Golden
yeah, tried to get a fixed steering post from them but not available anymore and,yes, mines an 05 and they still have a couple brackets left on the shelf for the 05's. pricey though.
mule - ..seems like a simple install but my issue is the stock screws holding the rider select in place are threaded in from the bottom. Was yours like that on your 06? I assume this is to prevent tank damage from the pointy end of the screws facing toward the tank...but PITA. if i do manage to back them out, do you think it's necessary to thread the hex bolts in from the bottom as well - the ones that come with the bracket - (or can i throw em in from the top with the nuts on the bottom ?- likely easier given lack of good finger space between the tank and shroud.

anyone?

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
Huh, mine was all busted to hell when i got it... I think there was a few parts missing, and the steering post was hose-clamped to the top rail. Getting rid of the remainder of the rider select pieces pretty much involved just ripping off the already broken parts.

I don't recall seeing any screws coming up from the bottom though. Maybe if you have a pic or two...

The other thing you can do, if you have enough clearance on those bolts and don't mind a little bit of work.... take a dremel with a cutoff wheel and turn the bottom side of that bolt into a flathead... then use a screwdriver to turn 'em out.

L
Nov 28, 2007
Golden
mule - thanks for the reply. the torx screws I'm talking about are the same four in your picture, only they're threaded in from the bottom up into the rider select plastic frame. the thought of dremeling the ends crossed my mind since I was able to turn one with some vice grips. now that you mention it, I might go that route. a bit of work but easier than pullling the tank, etc! not worried about reusing them as the bracket comes with new hex bolts/nuts.

cheers

Premium Features