• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

13 KX450 Turbo Snowbike build

C-man

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Well I hope this beast runs good this year. Plan on 10psi right off the bat. Pumped for the snow to fly! I just wanna say thanks to Kelly @ KMS for all the help so far!
Done for now!

Build list(so far):
2015 Timbersled LT
Boondocker turbo
Barrel of c111 race fuel
Push to pass extra boost button :becky:
boondocker afr and boost guage
brembo master cylinder and clutch perch off a Ducati (with brake light switch)
Acerbis 3.2 gallon tank
powermadd hand guards
Cyclops 600 headlight with LED brake light(also a helmet light)
Ame heated grips(all wired with headlight) 3 way switch
KMS head studs
KMS clutch lockout (Thanks Kelly!)
Thermobob thermostat
All terrain wheel set
Unabiker rad guards
Blue rad hoses
Blue fastway adventure pegs
Ski and rear arms bolts(thanks John!)
Bighorn triple clamp and bar mounts(soon to be raised)
I got rid of the air forks and used the spring forks off my 2012(extra stiff springs)
Many storage bags!

Here are a couple of pic's cause I know everyone loves pics. More to come!
Turbo is not in yet....Hopefully soon! :present:
Heres when I bought it at the auction(theft recovery)

After I swapped out the parts from my 12 and a new set of plastics

And it begins......

And heres how far I got lastnight.

Clutch lockout and head studs are next to be put in this weekend.
Updates will be coming as the parts show up!!!:D

Last edited:

C-man

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Headlight mounted.

Clutch lockout

Tank just sitting in place as well as the Unabiker rad guards

Turbo will finally be in this week or early next week then I can tighten everything down!

C-man

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Well should be taking it for a rip within a couple of days! just buttoning up everything.

Wheel kit and hard tool box!!! :)

Seat concepts seat. Looks comfy as hell and should be good on my tailbone!

Toooo much **** goin on!

This light is blinding!

C-man

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Edmonton, AB
My silencer pipe sure aims to the left. Its not centered at all.....Everything is mounted right. Im not to worried for now.....

C-man

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Sweet build. What is the bright green cylinder on the left side of the bars?
Ignore that haha I put it on as a joke. Its a mini boombox for the beer stops!

Went for the first run yesterday and HOLY S#@T!! She has got some power!
I need to do something with the gearing!

Its running rich and I didnt have time to change the settings. I popped my head pipe off because I think I stretched the head pipe retainer spring a little to much the last time I had it off. But hol crap its just instant the second boost hits then rev limiter!!! I need to control the throttle a little!

C-man

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Well first real ride in Bc was crappy.
started at 4psi ran like crap, then I upped it to 8 psi. I got a new map from boondocker. Seemed to run better the way up the mountain and not to rich. Then I got to the top. stopped at the chalet for a bit and then took off..ran like crap again and blew a seal/bearing in the turbo. Oil and smoke everywhere....Good thing I noticed or I wouldve crapped the motor out. Manny at boondocker says my breather hose was plugged so it pushed out the turbo. So now I have to send the turbo in to get rebuilt. Im trying to stay happy about this but its tough. 3 days of leaning and leaning and still bogs like a mofo. I might have to go the non-turbo route if I dont get this thing running right next time I head to the mountains cause its no fun riding it while bogging. This time Ill make sure I bring all the parts to take the turbo off so I can still ride.
Now Im worried Im going to rebuild this turbo and poof...same thing will happen.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
So is the fix putting some type of prefilter on the breather hose so it does not get blocked? Seems like that should be standard if it is that catastrophic? Sorry to hear that.

C-man

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Edmonton, AB
So is the fix putting some type of prefilter on the breather hose so it does not get blocked? Seems like that should be standard if it is that catastrophic? Sorry to hear that.

Yah I will have to do something. Enclose the whole engine might be the best option with some type of prefilter at the end of the breather as well...Thing is I just got up the mountain and didnt do any powder riding at all and it was -14c at most.

Im curious what kind of oil pressure these bikes are putting out. I never tested for exact psi, i just made sure I had pressure when I started it. I just want to make sure the oil pressure isnt to high and Im gonna blow the turbo again. Wondering if I should put a oil pressure restrictor in or something along those lines so it doesnt happen again.

C-man

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I topped the oil off and let it defrost in the shop for a day and took it for another rip around the acreage hitting boost many times for about ten minutes and now I pull the turbo off and oil is still on the intake side obviously but their is no more oil on the exhaust side anymore after the 10 minute rip around the property.....I don't know f-all about turbos but the seal/bearing may still be good cause its not pushing oil in anymore. I thought Once your pushing oil in the turbo the seal is no good. Ill have to email Manny @ BD to double check but I might be in luck for now.

C-man

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Well turbo is still good apparently the seal can blow oil out if the pressure is to high. Just need to make sure my breather doesnt get plugged again cause I dont want to lose oil!

Premium Features