• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

thinking about buying 05 m7

F
Long story short, had an 05 summit 800. Biggest p.o.s. ever. 2 Motors, bent nun, Many shredded belts later and bearing went out last season. NOT going to dump more money into this junker any more. Found an 05 m7 with 28xx miles for $3500. Has decked head (what is this? Just higher comp head)? 2.5 degree timing key? Also has can, Slp skis, anti stab, 2 wheel kit. Good deal? Good reliable sled? Or shy away from this particular one and look for stock sled? Budget up to $4K or so. Thanks for help snowesters:typing:

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
The overall condition of the sled is going to be deciding factor. If the sled seems good and looks well taken care of then you should be alright. The m7's are some of the most bulletproof sleds around. If the diamond drive is original you will need to replace the bearings in it. I had to on my 05 m7 about that same mileage. I changed the oil frequently but like anything they just wear out. A decked head is one that has had material shaved off the bottom of it to increase compression. You will want to ask what compression it is running so that you know if you need to add octane at low elevation. Especially if it has a timing key. I havn't been around any m7's with timing keys, but if it was me I might pull that out for durability sake. It might run good though, i don't know. My m7 has had an aftermarked high compression head on it since the year it was new and it is still running strong. SLP powder pro skis are a great update for these.

MikeMetzger

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2013
Edmonds Wa
I have an 05 M7 163" with 2700 miles. Its been the best sled Ive EVER owned. I rode the piss out of this thing and loved every moment of it. Im actually selling it now due to the purchase of a new Pro, but was very very strongly considering just keeping the M7 because I loved it that much, but I just can make it happen financially.

From my experience Id very strongly recommend this sled.

A

arcticmat

Nov 23, 2008
Tea SD
m7

I had a 2006 M7 162 le and loved it. I did basic maint and rode the **** out of it for 4 years and 1500 miles. The engine had 2700 miles and was absolutely solid. I had a F7 before with similar outcome. I really had a hard time letting it go when I bought my M8. The SLP Powder Pros are a must-they will be every Cat from here on. If this has been taken care of I say buy it and start smiling.

F
Loving the input I'm hearing. The head has been shaved to manufactures minimum spec.. Not sure about compression ratio but said it has 140+ in each cylinder. Says that the body is straight. Looks to appear in good shape by pics. Hoping I can check it out soon. Extremely busy at the moment. Sled is only a 3 hour drive away.

M-Head

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2010
Yakima, WA
I had an 05 M7 for four years, with the SLP performance package, and a 40 shot of nitrous. Ran it hard and it never skipped a beat. One of the best sleds I have ever owned. If it looks good, cosmetically and mechanically, buy it!

iroc1132

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2008
SE Idaho
Ditto

You can't go wrong with an M7. Easily one of the best sleds ever put together by any manufacturer. My brother has over 7000 miles on his '05 and it still goes strong. Never been opened up all original engine. Diamond drive has been rebuilt once or twice and has had to replace slide rails and misc. rivets here and there. All in all a great sled. If it looks like it has been taken care of its a no brainer in my opinion.
Good luck.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Loving the input I'm hearing. The head has been shaved to manufactures minimum spec.. Not sure about compression ratio but said it has 140+ in each cylinder. Says that the body is straight. Looks to appear in good shape by pics. Hoping I can check it out soon. Extremely busy at the moment. Sled is only a 3 hour drive away.

That makes me a tad nervous... that the owner is talking about "mfg minimum spec" as if cat gives out some recommendations for how to machine their heads. The ONLY thing that makes me question the sled is the fact that the guys selling it is BSing you on this, and then what else isn't he being honest about?

140 is a good number, that's a healthy compression imo, and if it's in good condition I'd go for it, but CHECK the compression yourself when you're there, and REALLY go over it, look for cracks behind the motor, and in the bulkhead in general. Don't be afraid to walk away if he's full of crap & the thing is more beat than he says or it's cracked up.

M7's are pretty common, and that's a tad high if anything, but I'd pay that for a solid 7 in a heartbeat, but it better be clean.

F
It sounds to me like he is second owner. He bought sled as is. The shaved head and timing dial do make me a nervous as does buying all used toys. Has original pistons and motor. He says frame is straight and runs strong. I would probably put new pistons in it and new track. Missing lugs so I assume original track yet. It looks clean in photos. I'll see if he'll email some more photos of tunnel, underhood and any cracks/scratches. I can't go look at it for 2+ weeks cuz of work and prior plans though. Who knows, maybe another one will pop up for sale. Thanks for your opinions and recommendations guys

Last edited:

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
All good advice above. I would think with a budget of $4k you should be able to find a really nice one if you shop a bit and are patient.

E
Oct 21, 2008
flat lander MN
dont worry about timing key I have owned a few f7 and xf7 and put 2deg in them all wakes up that 7 a bit .
140 with a shaved head ? what altitude is he at? my f7 with 10tho shaved head was 150ish at sea
the 700 is a great motor I they would have had reverse I would still own my x fire
BTW one of my f7 was ported twin pipe 3deg timing and had over 50 bottles of spray run through it
sold with 3500mi still running strong

Last edited:

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
Get him to drop the price at least a few hundred to cover the cost of buying a used track for the sled, unless you plan on buying new you can find PC 2.25s all over the place for cheap and they arent a bad track to upgrade from the stock attack 20. M7s are bulletproof to say the least.

F
No idea on how much the head was shaved. He said it was to lowest arctic cat recommendation/specification. He ran it 9k elevation and at sea level. Also needs minimum of 92 octane fuel. Says the timing dial really made it open up. Maybe get it for $3200/3300 because of track and have extra $ for other mods like newer track/clutching. Still early in season. Live in mn and many other m7 going for $4000 + with 4k miles. Way to high in my opinion, but makes me nervous about this one. Guess the only way to know is to take a drive and check it out.

P

pano-dude

Nov 28, 2007
invermere
just picked up a mint mint 06 m7 162 1800miles all stock except for camo track.... not a scratch and paid 3700 cdn.

been riding with 2 buddies who have them and they were going everywhere i was on my king cat. great sled

personally i would look for a machine that has not been modded.... they are out there just be patient. it took me 2+ months to find the right one for the right price.

F
I've been thinking about the mods as well. It's not even September yet and doesn't usually snow here in mn until December. I will keep looking and be patient. Just getting so excited for the upcoming season. Some crazy high prices on used m7's around here at the Moment. 4500 for an 06 m7 153" with 2k miles. A few at $4000 for m7 with 3k miles. I'll probably ride it 1 or 2 seasons than get a newer m8

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
To much $$$, should be under 3 with that kind of miles, if it hasnt had clutches put on it needs them most likely. I think 2800 is a good price for both, still to much for me on a 8yr old sled but thats your call.

FitShaced....

I was just reading through your post. I am also from MN, about an hour south of the Twin Cities. I bought a used '06 M7 153" 2 yrs ago and paid $4000 for mine. It had 985 miles on it all original only been ridden out west. I got it from a guy in Iowa, and he also brought it up to me (on his way to a vikes game...only winner that day was me!) I have always been one to shy away from engine mods, but I will say I LOVE my sled. I ride 95% in the U.P. and I go everywhere I want to there. My sled is basically all stock with minor mods here and there. One upgrade I did do however, is I upgraded to the STM bellow style exhaust valves. It deleted the servo motor, so there are no cables, no motor, and NO tuning or timing of the valves to worry about! But they are spendy.

I dont think you can go wrong with the M7, but not sure about the mods that have been done. I think you could find one very similar without the mods for the same price. But remember, whatever you pay, your going spend a few more bucks on things to make it yours, EVERYBODY ALWAYS DOES!!!!

One more thing.... THEY SUCK GAS!!! I ride hard, but I at 80 miles I better be near a gas station. I always carry a can!

Good Luck man!

Last edited:
Premium Features