• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Starting/key assembly issue.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Well.. ill start it off with what has happened before, The sled worked fine last season, started when you hit they key, vroom. then in cooke city during january, the sled just STOPPED starting. the key did nothing for starting, BUT, if you unplug the key harness, and short out the keyed on power, or the main power to the starter wire, it would run the starter. either which way, It then randomly would start later in the day and work fine, I thought it was freezing overnight and not working or something stupid like that. either way. I had gotten a new key assembly when I got back from cooke and it started working perfect and normal again.

fast forward to today. the sled has been starting no propblem in my testing projects lately, even started this morning. went out this afternoon to start it... NOTHING!!! the key on position provides power(i have a solenoid triggered off it, so I can hear it clicking) but the starter does nothing, I can unplug the key assembly again and jump power to the starter wire, and crank away it does, but the ignition isnt powered, so it wont start. My real confusion lies in the fact that I tested the key assembly per the service manual, and it works, problem with that is, if you jump wires on the harness the way that they key should do, it wont make the starter run... The test method doesnt make the sled run if you hard wire it up the same way.

I know a new key assembly would fix the thing, but for 2 key assemblies to go bad in 10 months, thats just weird, and it tests out working properly, but it wont click the starter.

B
Oct 17, 2004
Kelowna B.C.
Sounds like a bad/intermittent starter rely if the key assy. tests out and you can jump power and crank the starter. They do seem to fail just as you described it....Nice job getting it done...sounds good!!

BC.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
sound like a relay problem to me also. You need to do your testing with everything hooked up in the system so it has a load on it. Do back probe testing WHILE you try to operate the starter. The circut has to be loaded to get accurate results.

I ~think~ the headlight relay is the same and coudl be swapped to test it.

Eric

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
was stupid and simple. i looked at a wiring diagram and figured out the loops, found out that my tether cord switch was going bad and wouldnt stay closed well.. took it off, wired that part of the loop closed.. all is good.

Premium Features