• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Drop Brackets : Lets See Em, Custom , Homemade and Purchased Ones

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Hello I would like to see pics of Custom Drop Brackets for ideas, Either Purchased or Homemade and all Custom ideas.

Also any Links on where anyone can purchase some for those who don`t have the resources to build any.

Pics Please, Let see em!!! All sleds, makes and models Welcome!!

Thanks, Wildcard28

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
Homemade

I built these from 4130 Chromoly, they have seemed to work really well. Heck I'm parting out the sled and they are for sale too!

rear drop bracket outside.jpg rear drop bracket inside.jpg sled 2007 003.jpg

$
My 670 Summit sat way too low, and I was always getting stuck because of the running boards hanging up. I decided to make some extensions for the stock drop brackets before a trip to the Snowies last winter.

I drew up the extensions in SolidWorks, and got a drawing sheet all made up with the dimensions I needed. I bought a 12"x12"x1/4" piece of 6061-T651 aluminum off of Ebay for $31 shipped to make them out of. When the aluminum showed up I laid everything out and cut the pieces out on the band saw. Then I put the main pieces in the mill and programmed it to cut the pockets where they would fit over the stock drop brackets.

The rear mount is dropped 5" from stock, and the front is dropped 1.5". I went from a 136 to a 144 a few years ago, and set the suspension back 2" and down 1" then. So the rear mounting point is actually 4" down from where it was.

The stock drop brackets
IMG_0631-1.jpg

My SW model
dropbracket1.jpg

dropbracket2.jpg

First one done, I had one little screw up where I had a tool offset to the right instead of the left...its covered though so oh well.
0226092000b.jpg

Once I got everything milled out, I finished cutting the main pieces on the band saw and polished all the pieces up on the buffing wheel.

I had one of my buddies give me a quick lesson in TIG welding aluminum since I had only ever done steel before. Then I welded everything up...not bad for my first time.

IMG_06705.jpg

IMG_0670.jpg

Then it was just a matter of fitting them on the sled.

IMG_06708.jpg

Done!

Before...compared to an 800 Mt. Cat
IMG_0629.jpg

After...compared to same sled again
IMG_067010.jpg

The full sled shot...

IMG_067016.jpg

Dimensions

sledrearsuspdropbracketextension-1.jpg

Durability testing :p

IMG_0917.jpg

IMG_0943.jpg

T

Thunderguy BOOSTED

Oct 5, 2008
Bc Canada
those are nice $nowMeansBroke!!

got a new laptop so dont have any pics on it!! but wildcard,, you have seen them on other threads!!
(my drop brackets)
justin

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
My 670 Summit sat way too low, and I was always getting stuck because of the running boards hanging up. I decided to make some extensions for the stock drop brackets before a trip to the Snowies last winter.

I drew up the extensions in SolidWorks, and got a drawing sheet all made up with the dimensions I needed. I bought a 12"x12"x1/4" piece of 6061-T651 aluminum off of Ebay for $31 shipped to make them out of. When the aluminum showed up I laid everything out and cut the pieces out on the band saw. Then I put the main pieces in the mill and programmed it to cut the pockets where they would fit over the stock drop brackets.

The rear mount is dropped 5" from stock, and the front is dropped 1.5". I went from a 136 to a 144 a few years ago, and set the suspension back 2" and down 1" then. So the rear mounting point is actually 4" down from where it was.

The stock drop brackets
IMG_0631-1.jpg

My SW model
dropbracket1.jpg

dropbracket2.jpg

First one done, I had one little screw up where I had a tool offset to the right instead of the left...its covered though so oh well.
0226092000b.jpg

Once I got everything milled out, I finished cutting the main pieces on the band saw and polished all the pieces up on the buffing wheel.

I had one of my buddies give me a quick lesson in TIG welding aluminum since I had only ever done steel before. Then I welded everything up...not bad for my first time.

IMG_06705.jpg

IMG_0670.jpg

Then it was just a matter of fitting them on the sled.

IMG_06708.jpg

Done!

Before...compared to an 800 Mt. Cat
IMG_0629.jpg

After...compared to same sled again
IMG_067010.jpg

The full sled shot...

IMG_067016.jpg

Dimensions

sledrearsuspdropbracketextension-1.jpg

Durability testing :p

IMG_0917.jpg

IMG_0943.jpg

Man those are awesome, good work.

Wildcard28

What is the maximum drop bracket you can use with out having to alter the front mount. On a 98 670 summit X.

You CAN go 3" But anything over 1.5 I'd reccomend dropping the front up to half. If you don't drop the front, the sled rides on the rear of the rail's. First year I designed my chassis, my skid was lower in the rear. COuldnt move in the shop, or on gravel. And it trenched real bad. Only the last 12" of track was acctually putting any weight to the ground.

T

Thunderguy BOOSTED

Oct 5, 2008
Bc Canada
I'm not running upper little idlers in the tunnel. What you may find is the track rubbing on the top of the front swing arm. But, if swingarm is lowered, it helps aleviate this.

YA mine dose rub on the front but i dont thinks that a problem is it?Then again, if i would tighten my track up it wouldn't do it!!!

Premium Features