• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Riding Areas in Iowa

S
Dec 15, 2009
NW Iowa
I am from Northwest Iowa and was talking with my dad about when he was a kid and he had his old John Deere 440. He remembered going somewhere out in western iowa or central iowa to do some nice riding. Said there was some good trails and tree riding. Anyone from central or western iowa know of any good riding. Obviously this isnt mountain riding but just somewhere to go for the weekend without hauling them 10 hours?

S
Dec 15, 2009
NW Iowa
Unfortunately that is all we do as well. These last few years I haven't even moved my Ski Doo in Iowa. Just wait until we take trips out west. Occasionally we will have some decent riding in the ditches but unfortunately not often enough!!

D

Dekk

Jun 22, 2011
Hawarden Iowa
Not enough? Oh please, why dont you make a 30 minute trip to Hawarden and i will show you that there is enough.

sabels

Premium Member
Dec 19, 2007
Flatlands
We have a 2nd home in Harpers Ferry(NE Iowa) if the snow is good there are equestrian trails thru the bluffs and valley's that can be fun!

S
Dec 15, 2009
NW Iowa
Not enough? Oh please, why dont you make a 30 minute trip to Hawarden and i will show you that there is enough.

We have trailered the sleds over to Hawarden in the past to ride. There is way better riding over there than there is around OC. Its just so flat over here and no rivers, ditches are narrow. At least by Hawarden it starts to get hilly and you get the Sioux river. Had some good times on that in the past. Do you ride it often? All we have is the Floyd! Is there ever any poker runs in the Hawarden area?

D

Dekk

Jun 22, 2011
Hawarden Iowa
We have trailered the sleds over to Hawarden in the past to ride. There is way better riding over there than there is around OC. Its just so flat over here and no rivers, ditches are narrow. At least by Hawarden it starts to get hilly and you get the Sioux river. Had some good times on that in the past. Do you ride it often? All we have is the Floyd! Is there ever any poker runs in the Hawarden area?

Most of use have part time farm jobs so we don't have much to do in the winter besides ride. There are a few poker runs, ill let you know when they get scheduled.

D

Dekk

Jun 22, 2011
Hawarden Iowa
Ya its a lot of fun. Usually end up flat broke by April tho. Pretty much all get together after school and on the weekends and ride if the snow isnt too torn up.

coyoteman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
carson iowa
I am from Northwest Iowa and was talking with my dad about when he was a kid and he had his old John Deere 440. He remembered going somewhere out in western iowa or central iowa to do some nice riding. Said there was some good trails and tree riding. Anyone from central or western iowa know of any good riding. Obviously this isnt mountain riding but just somewhere to go for the weekend without hauling them 10 hours?

I'll bet he is thinking around crescent, just north of council bluffs. Back in the day the club there had quite a good network of trails that cut through the hills. They had fence crossings and bridges across the creeks. The club is no longer around that I know of. There is still some riding in the area but not as many land owners let you go where you used to be able to go.

S
Dec 15, 2009
NW Iowa
It seems like landowners just aren't near as friendly to snowmobilers as they used to be. That is a very nice area down there. Have been down there on motorcycles before. Would love to find an area for some nice riding on a short weekend!

Steelman

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2009
snowexhaust.ggb.ca
It seems like landowners just aren't near as friendly to snowmobilers as they used to be. That is a very nice area down there. Have been down there on motorcycles before. Would love to find an area for some nice riding on a short weekend!

We ride from Oakland to Harlan on the river when it is frozen. It is fun when you are coming back at night and have to remember if there is open water and how many deer and turkeys will be in your way after you have a few pops....HEHEHEHEHEHE Also, ride ditch from Oakland to Emerson or Red Oak.

146ev

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
You guys make the trip up to sheldon sometime and I will take you into some spots that are usually have good snow and are never rode around here there are maybe 10 of us that ride and 6-7 of the people all ride north and west and the the other 2-3 of us ride south and east and north east between myself and a few friends and the 3000 + acres of land that they own of not only farm land we can find good snow and usually have a great idea of area's to go after a snow.

coyoteman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
carson iowa
I still ride the crescent area once or twice a year. There is still some nice riding over there even though the trails are not maintained anymore. Problem is the pro sits out west all year so I have to ride the ol 700.:face-icon-small-win

S
Dec 15, 2009
NW Iowa
I will definately make a trip up to Sheldon area this winter. We ride up highway 60 quite often to the Sheldon area. Never know where to go to from there though!

P

purepolaris600

Aug 21, 2009
Elkader iowa
best iowa ride

you guys come on out my why northeast iowa we have the best trails in iowa threw fields, hills, timber, ditchs, bike paths, very nice riding thats just my 2cents mostly groomed trails can ride to harpers farry from my town about a 2 hour ride then go to decorah, then minn, the trails are endless lol, plus as a bonus you will have your own guide... me lol

R

riverider

Sep 19, 2011
Boondocks , Iowa

i dont know how i didnt see this thread b4 but im in central iowa and under "normal" winter conditions there is a nice ride from my shop to the iowa river then south on the river through alden, iowa falls, steamboat rock, eldora, to marshaltown.or north to dows, rowan, belmond, klemme... some really beautiful scenery and its almost a guarentte to have bald eagles flying overhead almost seems like they are showing you where to ride .. I might also add if we ever get snow again i, i have always wanted to get some kind of winter BBQ thing started i own the 140 acres on my home place with pleanty of shed space. and the last few years ive cleaned ditches-- marked hazzards--cut log jams out of river just for safe trails to and from my place. picture this-- get up sat morning, get on your sled, ride to the farm for beef + bragging + bullsh-tting + beer then ride home. thats alot of things i love to do all in one day?? what do you guys think??am i just daydreaming or does this sound like something that is do-able ?? or if this is going on eslewhere , where is my invitation????

Premium Features