• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tunnel replacement, VIN riveted on new tunnel. Will it cause import issues to Canada?

Lococoin

Lifetime Membership
Im looking at a boosted sled that had a CR tunnel put on it. The original tunnel is competely gone so the VIN number was cut out of the old one and riveted into the new tunnel.

Is this going to cause an issue importing from the states to Canada? Does the nytro have the full VIN number on motor or anywhere else on the sled?

Thanks

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
It depends on your "inspector". I've often wondered if this is an issue or not. If you decide to buy it, I would call around to the "inspection" stations first and get their take on it.

I say "inspection" because all they check is the VIN, your lights, reflectors, kill switch and odometer.

R
Aug 27, 2008
Idaho Falls ID
In most States it is illegal to cut a Vin out of a tunnel and reuse it.I have been in sales for ten years and when we take a sled on trade or for resale,if itdose not have a Vin we have to contact the state.Then we have to set up an appointtment to have the sled inspected.They usually want us to bring the title and old tunnel with us so they can stamp a new Vin on it.If we are replacing a tunnel on a wrecked sled they want us to bring the old tunnel down and work order so they can restamp it.Keep in mind each state dose it a little different but the inspectors take there job very seriously and if you show up with the wrong paper work or not enough documentation to prove the machine is yours they will impound it.Had that happen once not fun.Your best bet dealing with Canada's border.is contact them and I would also contact your state inspector to see if they can get a vin restamped on it the write way.Had a budy's sled hang out for a month at the border over the same kind of circumstance not a fun trip.Best of luck!!!

markoo

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Southern Alberta
vin #

I had a buddy bring a sled into Canada from Montana. His tunnel was also replaced. The seller had cut out the peice of tunnel with the vin number. He had this in his pocket when he crossed the border with his newly purchased sled and he had no problems. I would phone first though just to be sure.

T
Jan 10, 2008
cedar,mn.
I had to replace a tunnel on a sled in MN. I called the state and they wanted me to cut the old one out and rivet it on the new one. I would hope they would just keep it the same everywhere.

R
Aug 27, 2008
Idaho Falls ID
I did forget to post that it is diffrent for states that do not title snowmachines and I am just going off what Idaho wants its dealers to do.If it was me I would still call your state inspector.

S

sledhed88

Dec 13, 2007
Id pull the plate off and get the Number punches. Then just Punch in the VIn number. Worked like a charm. The guys at the border dont care/not smart whether its after market or stock. The major issue is the other stickers from factory. U need the white one one the tunnel and they like the manufacture date sticker too. But the one is needed or it stays with them!!!

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
Been to Canada many times with sleds w/aftermarket tunnels, some with riveted vin's, some with VIN's stamped by the fabrication shop who built the sled...border guards dont know the diff, as long as it matched the registration. They have always been more concerned when there were more sleds than riders (spare), and even then didn't look twice at the VIN tag.

That has been my experience.

S

sledhed88

Dec 13, 2007
If its a good sled get it. Just call the manufactuer, get them to send u the stickers. Buy a cheap stamp set and done

T
Dec 6, 2007
AB
I did this last year and the vin # wasn't the issue at all it was the other stickers that are supposed to be on the tunnel. Had to make a couple trips to the border but I got it across. It all depends on how bad you want it and who you end up having to deal with at the line. The second time they didn't even look but the first time he was going to take my truck trailer and sleds. Best bet is be nice.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
You don't need the stickers on the tunnel to cross. If you have a letter from the manufacturer stating it meets requirements, you're good to go.

I went through this in February, my sled was missing all the stickers (worn off by boots) and they didn't bat an eye.

R
Aug 27, 2008
Idaho Falls ID
The sticker people are referring to is th CE stcker or also known as Certified European.I have owned plenty of sleds with a mod tunnel and sold alot to.I would not let the vin problem discourage you from buying it.I am sure you can make a few phone calls and get it over the border just fine.

Last edited:

mtnmodviper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Pocatello, Idaho
I have sold two modded vipers with aftermarket tunnels to Canadians. One last year and one this year. I had the idaho title, Had the local engraving shop make a vin tag and rivited it to the aftermarket tunnel. I got a letter from yamaha for the recall clearance and the safety compliance info. The vin was not a problem for either sled at the border. The one I sold last week got held up for an hour because the border guy wanted to see the sticker on the tunnel. He finally let the sled pass through becasue of the letter from Yamaha.
I would not hesitate to buy the sled you are talking about if you're getting a good deal.

Premium Features