• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

gps tracking in trucks

H
Nov 26, 2007
Utah,Colorado
we have a small company and are looking at installing gps tracking in our company trucks,do we have to inform our employees of the tracking devices? does anyone have any experience with these tracking systems?

R
Sep 1, 2001
Maple Grove, MN
Who owns the trucks? It's up to them what goes in them and what doesn't. If they are a company truck, they are exactly that a company truck.

If the guys are doing something wrong, they know it and should be informed at that time they have 1 more chance. If they screw up again, they should be gone!

A lot of places have this stuff now. Look at a lot of Fed Ex, UPS, Shineder etc. etc. semi trucks. All of them have the GPS tracking device right behind the cab usually on the left or right side behind that big wind deal.

I would say, install the devices it can only help in the long run. 1) Routing, 2) Fuel use due to speed, 3) Down times, 4) Rest periods. The list is endless.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
you're asking for advice on the internet?

:p

Google has a bunch of information on fleet GPS systems, both active and passive... I bet if you poked around on some of those, you'd find the answers you're looking for...

Luke The Drifter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
I remember reading in the local paper a while ago about a guy who had his service truck stolen and tracked it on his laptop and pretty much guided the cops to the place it was driven to. Turned out to be a huge chopshop outside of Sherwood Park (if I remember correctly).

My cousin worked for a company way up north and said company decided to install the GPS modules on the company trucks. No more haulin' arse out of timbucktwo after a 3 week shift. They knew if and when the trucks were speeding or making personal detours.

I sure wish I had a GPS module on my old dirtbike, would've paid a visit to the cawksucker who decided to swipe it:mad:.

Take it for what its worth I guess.

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
if they are company vehicles...you are free to do as you wish...

Trukker

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
High River Ab
Gps

Been dealing with Satellites or GPS units in trucks since the late 80's both as a driver and management.They are the best tool out there for both parties.Just like RJ mentioned the only ones that will be offended are the ones that have something to hide.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
we have a small company and are looking at installing gps tracking in our company trucks,do we have to inform our employees of the tracking devices? does anyone have any experience with these tracking systems?

If they are company trucks, they are company property.

If it is a company mandate to have a black box installed in a company vehicle then the employee really has no say in the matter.

With that said....I have one in my company truck. I ___HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE____ it.

Hate it. Hate it with a passion. Not because I care if they track where it is, it's because it squaks at me if I'm 2 mph over the speed limit it has programmed into it.

And it's got a lot of speed limits programmed into it wrong so it takes me 3 hours to make a 1.5 hour drive usually:(

F
Nov 27, 2007
Utah
I use a company called Webtech Wireless and track 30 fuel tankers and all company trucks for the last 2 years. Like stated earlier only people that dont like them are the one using company equipment for personnel use.

Premium Features