• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is it possible to Build a can??

B
Feb 5, 2008
Manitoba Canada
I got some spare time in my Tech ed course and was wondering if its possible to build a can for a sled. I got the tools to make it im just wonderin how to get the back pressure right so i dont screw my motor. Any input wud be great.

B
Feb 5, 2008
Manitoba Canada
DO u just pack them full of fibre glass? i was goin to try and make some baffles to fit inside with a bunch of different sized holes in them but i need to figure out how to get enough and not to much back pressure.

Jul 11, 2001
Waconia, MN
One would think that you need to figure out the flow rate of a stock can. Then corralate it the exhaust flow of your engine at set rpm points. Map all of this information. Next would be to design the new and improved version to meet the specifications that you have defined. Physical dimentions, Weight of the unit, Baffel design, etc.

Then you will need to build a prototype that you will then have to test and verify that it matches the flow rates that you mapped from the stock unit. Then you will have to test the unit in the real world. Does the new and improved design match the stock unit in performance, Sound Levels, durability, etc.

Then you learn from the mistakes, redesign and test again. This may take many steps just to match the performance levels of the stock unit.

racingpit

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2002
Sheridan, WY
www.hoseplugs.com
how would i go about figuring out the flowrates of the exhaust.
The can on my ZRT is just a larger pipe, with a smaller mesh pipe inside. Between the outer part (larger pipe), and the smaller mesh pipe is fiberglass (you can get it at a moto shop. The fiberglass does make a difference. I had mine come apart, and the engine was loud, but not much power.

bgreen776

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Kenai, AK
www.backcountryrebles.com
My old man built some light weight cans for his 640 hooper in a older ZR chassis. He did none of the above testing. I personally wouldnt hesitate to build a can, but I would do some before and after testing. I'd do some full throttle lake runs or something to establish a base line for plug color and piston wash. Maybe have some friends help you so you could time the runs. But really, you should be able to tell if you gained or lost by what it does to your clutching. if you suddenly need less weight in your primary, you probably didnt do any good by building your can, but if you need more weight you might have done some good and now your making a bit more HP.

The cans my old man built are a straight through design using a perforated inner tube from a glass pack IIRC, some insulation for re-packing motory cycle mufflers, and an outer shell made from aluminum sheet (5052 iirc). I'll post pictures if I can find them.

C
Nov 30, 2007
Thanks for the info now just to start building how do i check piston wash and wat shud i check for on the clutch weights

I did'nt get into the scientific end of it but maybe this would give you an idea. I wrecked a honda CBR 929 a few years ago and I still had the D&D(FT.WORTH, TEXAS)can off of it. I had to shorten it about 6" but it fit nice and sounds great. GOOD LUCK.

Premium Features