• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ready for some propaganda from Polaris

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Its pretty quiet on the forums this time of year and I bet those guys who have an 850 coming this Fall would like to see some news from Polaris to keep us going.

So Polaris if you are listening:

Please post some production line photos of the 850 AXYS being built, give us some dyno info, gearing info, clutching info, updates to chassis info etc.

I know much will be the same as 2018 but not everybody knows the specs and to have it all in one place would be nice.

Maybe I should be in Polaris's marketing department as I would make things happen.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
I would love to see some pictures also. Got a 850 on the way.

S
Nov 15, 2008
Northern ,wi
I would settle for a picture of the crates in the yard where they put all the built sleds in before they ship em!!! Or a picture of some of engines before they put em on assembly line just to see em

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Most reliable and controllable?

Certainly not the wobble bottom Doo. Axys is like a scalpel, hopefully the 850 brings the reliability Polaris has been lacking. Can you tell I am currently on a Cat? LOL

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
A guy can wish. If it was a good number it would be good for business.

I remember a number of years back Polaris boosted numbers to improve business...
In my opinion, any manufacturer other than Yamaha can't be trusted with horsepower claims.

You just need to know one thing, its super light, and got the most power of any two stroke from the factory. What more do you need to know? :face-icon-small-ton

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
I remember a number of years back Polaris boosted numbers to improve business...
In my opinion, any manufacturer other than Yamaha can't be trusted with horsepower claims.

You just need to know one thing, its super light, and got the most power of any two stroke from the factory. What more do you need to know? :face-icon-small-ton

Your right. When I dyno tuned my Axys the stock numbers were right on with what Polaris engineers were telling me (and other dyno companies). I was also impressed with how much they purposely left on the table for tuners (who aren't hampered by the EPA). In the past they did drop HP (as you mentioned but on a different chassis) because of engine reliability issues, however the Axys has been very reliable except for the cheap add on components like relays ect.
Soon we will see what power the 850 leaves the assembly line with, last winter the 850 I test rode had different ECU's swapped out during our rides.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Glad to see I am not alone here, thinking about the upcoming season/sleds already.

I am also excited to try an Alpha Cat. I bet if the single rail works this winter out it will also come with a 850 and a lighter chassis for 2020. That would up the ante.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Hi Teth,
As always, the gearing will be too high for mountain riding and there are minimal options to change it. We have found that one gear ratio fits all riders.
Thank you,
Polaris

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Hi Teth,
As always, the gearing will be too high for mountain riding and there are minimal options to change it. We have found that one gear ratio fits all riders.
Thank you,
Polaris

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Haha, awesome!

I don't know why they don't change the ratio of the quick drive slightly, they have room.

It would also be nice if they could make room for a 10% bigger secondary clutch that weighs the same. That way at least the gearing can start lower for creeping out of bomb holes.

Maybe this new motor has so much torque we can have the engagement lower and it will easily handle the higher gearing. (won't help the drive belt though)

Last edited:

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Glad to see I am not alone here, thinking about the upcoming season/sleds already.

I am also excited to try an Alpha Cat. I bet if the single rail works this winter out it will also come with a 850 and a lighter chassis for 2020. That would up the ante.

I spent quite a bit of time on the Alpha Cat last spring in different snow conditions. Impressive technology in some things but for "me" it still had a flaw. However many things came together to make it work more than just the single rail skid. The larger rear boggy really helps with rolling resistance, the new track with closed windows (opposite from everything else) didn't flex like skidoo's, didnt hold snow and the pitch (spacing between lugs) was set up for this sled, even the track approach angle was different helping it get up on the snow quicker. Even the new front skis were 2" shorter all combined to work together. Still one problem I had that I'm sure they are working on for future upgrades. Long story short....Impressed, but Im keeping my Axys.
Also rode the new 850 Axys in different riding conditions. Very impressed, If you bought one, you'll be impressed with the stock handling, if you do make changes, go slow with minor adjustments 1st. It reacts quickly to changes...

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I spent quite a bit of time on the Alpha Cat last spring in different snow conditions. Impressive technology in some things but for me it still had a critical flaw. However many things came together to make it work more than just the single rail skid. The larger rear boggy really helps with rolling resistance, the new track with closed windows (opposite from everything else) didn't flex like skidoo's, didnt hold snow and the pitch (spacing between lugs) was set up for this sled, even the track approach angle was different helping it get up on the snow quicker. Even the new front skis were 2" shorter all combined to work together. Still one problem I had that I'm sure they are working on for future upgrades. Long story short....Impressed, but Im keeping my Axys.
Also rode the new 850 Axys in different riding conditions. Very impressed, If you bought one, you'll be impressed with the stock handling, if you do make changes, go slow with minor adjustments 1st. It reacts quickly to changes...

Are you going to let us in on the flaw of the Alpha?

Premium Features