• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 Polaris predictions

F

FC61

Jan 7, 2014
NH
Bng's and maybe a slimmer body by means of plastic restyling. Can't help but think they have to have a snowbike in the pipeline at some point.

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
If it aint broke, don't fix it. If axys follows the PRO ride chassis progression it would be...
2016 New chassis
2017 BNG
2018 Modest upgrades
2019 BNG
2020 BNG.. new chassis coming

Not sure polaris would do BNG 2 years in a row early on with a new cat chassis coming very soon and skidoo 850 putting on pressure.

My exact thoughts for the last 6 months. I'm convinced there will be some changes for 18 to follow suit with what Polaris has always done in the past, whether they will be motor changes or chassis changes I believe Polaris has some updates up their sleeve.

Personally I would like to see stronger factory a arms (stockers are a joke), better factory shocks, fix the track clip issue by clipping the lugged rows instead, better electrical components, better quality control on items such as the splines on the driveshafts, 1" narrower front end (don't want to see it go 36 from the factory but another inch would be nice!!), an option to snowcheck any track size and height in belt drive or chaincase, an option to snowcheck a front cooler on any model, gearing options for snowcheck (these last 3 would be SUPER hard for them to do from a price standpoint, just a wish list :) ), a stronger throttle block, a stronger rear bumper, and a lighter factory exhaust silencer.

E
Aug 29, 2016
Buena Vista, CO
To get under 400 they need to do a collaboration project with SLP or Skinz for a lightweight silencer. Also rework the lower a-arms and change track clip location at a minimum. Add a factory installed tether and a loud graphic. Call it the Ultimate Axys

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Just like everyone said Yamaha would NEVER offer a "Factory Turbo" on their Viper..

Its coming....
Don't know that you will see it this spring, but I do think you are going to see an OEM Turbo....

I'd argue pulling that off on a four stroke is a very different thing. Four stroke sleds are very clean as is. Two stroke? Not so much. Two stroke turbo? Eeek.

We will see however! It certainly isn't impossible.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I highly doubt this based on a market/cost basis. Simply, the sled would cost $18K-20+

A new sled is $13k and a Boondocker Sidekick is $4k. A Silber is less at $3.5k. That's only $17k. I'm betting Polaris could do it at the assembly line at $16k possibly less.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
They need...........at minimum,

Narrow front end option
Factory installed tether!!! Get with the times!!!
3" track / quick drive combo

Wants......for the future,

Low seat option
More shock options
Limited edition factory turbo, I think it's only a matter of time!
Limited production runs, to bring the used market up!!! I know, yeah right!! ha ha.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
redesigned front suspension like cats. beef the bulkhead where it mounts up, use slim chromoly a-arms, and ditch the boxed spindle design.
then drop the drivers enough for 8 tooths and fully clip the track.
then id be jealous.

I'm not sure they need to fully clip the track but rather clip above the lugs and not where there are no lugs.

Ditch the carbon fiber rear bumper, up the power a bit and although their clutch has always been the best, it is time to improve its lifespan for higher power applications. Also I believe there is 5 lbs to be taken out of the fuel tank design. A redesign is in order for the spindles and driveshaft too. Too much out of spec sizes on these items.

Concerned? Why on the hell would you be concerned? As long as your knuckles are in the wind and you're having a ball, who cares. Buy a doo if you have to but don't be so worried about the next guy. I'm sure most of the guys and gals on here can highmark me all day doesn't mean they're having more fun than I am.
Just ride brother.

OP- BNGs and maybe a few new part numbers is my guess.

Here Here. Just grab throttle and enjoy the day with your buds and a beer. Who gives a **** what sled we are all on. :face-icon-small-ton
I am stoked on my new SC 2017 AXYS though. Just saying! :)

G

ggcustoms

Dec 4, 2007
NW Wisconsin
Mtn Specific RMK6 146

Still patiently waiting for a 146" Axys Pro! 2.6 or 3", wouldn't matter.

Snow Check 600 same as 600 racer.... offer a 800 in same chassis as 600 racer.....

Yes, and Yes. Put these 2 together and that's my sled. Been waiting for years for them to put the race motor in commercial production. I can't find much info on the race motor for this year but I see it has a longer stroke so that should help up the torque a little (look at me, acting like I have a clue of what I am talking about). I speculate it's an EPA issue but I sure don't know.
Currently debating about getting at 16 holdover RMK6 and putting a Silber whistle on it.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
And entry sized. Have always wondered why they don't make kid sized sleds? Motorcycles have them, Atv's have them, even side by sides, but the snowmobiling industry just totally ignores this market. I'm not talking about the little parking lot 120's either;)

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
And entry sized. Have always wondered why they don't make kid sized sleds? Motorcycles have them, Atv's have them, even side by sides, but the snowmobiling industry just totally ignores this market. I'm not talking about the little parking lot 120's either;)

Usually mfg quit doing things that lose money.

Don't forget that snowmobile sales are only 8% of Polaris corporate revenue. (Word from the only dealer I trust)
Frankly I'm surprised they invest what they do.

Adults spend money first and foremost on themselves.......
Ideally it might be different but reality is what it is.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I would think if anything revolutionary was coming, it would be in "factory snowbike" realm...as mentioned above. Polaris has the $$ to make it happen, and someone needs to break the ice.

I don't think you'll see anything crazy on the sleds, other than maybe some neat Snowcheck options for suspension, or maybe front end, or something like that. Hopefully in season models finally get painted tunnels.

The doo 850 looks like a nice unit, but it's really just a nice little upgrade for guys who like Doo. There's nothing there that would fire me up enough to bail on an Axys. Given the price of sleds already...I think constant revisions and improvements will push prices higher and shrink the market further, so I would say the automotive life cycle of 5-6 years is here to stay.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Ideally it might be different but reality is what it is.[/QUOTE]

That is a sad thing, my kids all had new quads and sleds before I ever did. Since we always went together as a family I figured if they were setup right it was a good thing for all of us.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
And how about an entry level sled. Around 300cc. I have a great name for it.... Indy Lite.

Remember the Freestyle 300F? Ski-Doo. 2006-2010? Had two of them for the kids to bang around on and riding with mom and dad. They were terrific for a 8-12 year old.

Bought them for about 3k, one of them new, and sold them after five years for slightly less, had peeps lined up to buy each one within a week after hitting CL. They were in high demand for the exact reasons mentioned. Doo must have just been unable to make any money on them, and they certainly didn't help the EPA fleet average. Doo went 4s with the 600 at three times the price in a full-sized chassis.

Tahoe54

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2007
Usually mfg quit doing things that lose money.

Don't forget that snowmobile sales are only 8% of Polaris corporate revenue. (Word from the only dealer I trust)
Frankly I'm surprised they invest what they do.

That is a sad thing, my kids all had new quads and sleds before I ever did. Since we always went together as a family I figured if they were setup right it was a good thing for all of us.

Agreed, my son isn't even 3 yet and has a larger fleet than I do. I get greater joy buying him toys than myself. I also agree with the idea there has to be a business case for it though.

Premium Features