• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

IF YOU WERE TO SIT WITH THE ENGINEERS TO DISCUSS THE THE AXYS... WHAT WOULD YOU ASK?

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
Get rid of the key and go with a tether. Pretty surprised they haven't done that. I know Ski doo has had a few issues but none were show stoppers. The tether has literally saved my life (or at a minimum, severe injury) on two occasions. Should be a factory installed thing. I think basic refinements would go a long way.

west dreams

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2009
Becker, Mn.
I do not have an AXYS yet, so I am going to assume it is the same as the PRO, It would be nice if it was a lot easier to fog the motor for storage (similar to ski doo). Either with a button to dump oil in, or an easily accessible fitting to attach the fogging can to.

M
Dec 7, 2007
My recommendations/critiques:

Out of range TPS settings causing idle and starting problems, like mine!
Coolant hoses rubbing on engine parts, missing hose clamp on coolant lines.
Very poor quality steering post bushings, nevermind wearing out after a few hundred miles, mine has a huge amount of play to begin with!
Standard Tether

The critiques I mention already have real-world solutions, that's why I'm so frustrated with my $13k new sled that won't even idle in the garage :(

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
First off . . this is an absolutely AMAZING sled!!! But there is always room for improvement :)

*Factory installed tether.

*Foot loops not so tight. Add at least 1" to 2" height in there. One could still use them (as i like to do) but not get a foot caught in them as easily. Voice of experience. Broken ankle and $22k surgery to repair it. OUCH!!

*better painting or powder coating. Have some flaking in a few areas.

* reversible scratches would be nice.

* corked handlebars so warmers will heat up quicker and keep warm.

* tougher front bumper mounts. One slap on the side breaks the mounts.

* better factory setting of TPS

* grease the pivot points on the shocks and bar under the rear track shock. They come totally dry.

* better valving in shocks - like Carls (and others) do. This a very inexpensive thing to do.

* better ski rubbers. stronger rubber and wider too.

Justified

Premium Member
Feb 21, 2010
I would really like to know why can't all models have powder coated tunnels besides the sno check models

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I actually already asked a Polaris engineer this question, but it might be worth sharing :face-icon-small-win

With their major focus on weight reduction, especially rotating weight...from the crank, primary clutch, Quick drive, drive shaft and lighter track, why on earth are they still using the heaviest secondary clutch in the industry?
The heaviest and largest diameter rotating piece on the sled (besides the track). A design that has been basically unchanged since 1997. With a clutch that weighs what a competitors secondary weighs, they could have been sub-400lb. :face-icon-small-hap
Surely, they must have something in test, this cannot be such a great clutch that the weight doesn't matter.

Rick!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Can I play too? :)

How about an $11K MSRP Pro? (crickets, had to ask)

Okay, getting more real, how about a stronger casting for the steering post joint? One that can a tipover onto the end of thehandlebar.

How about an option for full CF tubes?

E-coat + P-coat tunnel sides and running boards would be worth paying extra for. Switching to 6061-T6/2024-T4 sides would eliminate baking issues with strain hardened 5052.

NytroNorm

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Stoon, SK
An AXYS RMK Assault or SKS in the 144/146 length to replace the Switchback Assault. Not the full wide front end like the current switchback assault but the same front end as the new Assault has. Give it a stock 2" track but in snowcheck let there be the 2.6" and 1.6" cobra as options. This would be a perfect "crossover" sled for the midwest guys or a nimble short option for the guys that just want a shorter RMK.

This,

The switchback assault is a trail sled. we need an rmk assault with a 146x2.6 track and a good skid. Goes straight up against the 146 Freeride.

S
Nov 15, 2008
Northern ,wi
I haven't rode my 16 sks yet (leaving in 14 hrs To ride it) but I would say a good 4 stroke model. If Polaris can make the rzr and victory bikes as awesome as they do there should be no reason not to have a in house 4 stroke. I'm mean Victorys Rock for what they are size wise. Otherwise 2 tps in my family I adjusted before evening riding em and could hear a difference and see on tach after they were set right. Besides that nothing else I'm happy with my 15 and my 16

S

SXViper

Nov 26, 2007
Lenexa, Kansas
Lots of really good suggestions on here! Personally I'd like to see an option for a lower seat to compliment varying bar heights, interactive display standard (its on mine and is fantastic), fox shock options, a 3" with the belt drive and other than that just keep refining a already fantastic sled.

Laramie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 6, 2010
Stronger rear bumper get rid of current version it's sub par
Stronger steering bushings, way too much play
I agree with the group, need to do a better job with finish on boards
I really like all the improvements of the axys, headlight, weight, taller ride height, more and quicker power, much better track for the powder.
Top of my wish list is reduction of ice and snow buildup on a arms and bracing on tunnel.
Lastly more attention to detail in fit and finish under the hood to improve durability.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Cork the hand warmers and put an adjustable warmer like ski doo. That is about my only gripe with the axys. As far as wants I am betting the are really close to a burandt edition factory turbo, depending on how the side kick kit shakes out. It would probably just have a 1 year warranty. I am betting Polaris will buy boondockers and pull this off.

Crazyj700

Premium Member
Dec 30, 2012
-Factory turbo
-Tether
-Reversible ice scratchers
-No coolant in the rear of the sled to eliminate the ice on the running boards (like cat)
-Better Aarms
-Goggle warmer standard
-New fuel mapping

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
As previously mentioned, I'd like to see the dash compartment enlarged to hold a pair of goggles.

As to the mentions of corking the warmers, man last time I rode it was -23*c, had the warmers on high, and my hands were burning, had to turn them down.

Why not a "better" tuned exhaust pipe? With most aftermarket companies like SLP, BMP, BDX etc pulling 8-10 hp out of their designs, couldn't the factory get closer to these improved specs and still remain EPA compliant?

Choice of seats. When I snow checked my '12 Assault, I loved being able to get the Switchback seat, instead of the RMK dental floss lol. Yup, I'm officially an old fogie! :face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-hap

Beyond that, I've found it to be a solid piece of kit in the 5.9 hours of riding time I've been able to amass...

ripnit

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2009
Chilly Id/Iowa Falls Ia
Would like to see better/heavier mounting points for the upper a-arms, stronger lower a-arms, brakes on drive shaft, lower seat, better steering mounts, powder coat boards and tunnel-not paint(big disappointment on my snow check), air shock option, a real rear bumper(took mine off before first ride),

Last edited:
S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
An option to snocheck a sled thats all tricked out right from the factory , a purpose built sled thats setup for the buyer, not just general.
Tethor is also a must,its 2016.

Premium Features