• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1st AXYS modification

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Just an FYI,

Fire n Ice is very close to having the belt deflector kit developed and an assortment of carbon fiber and aluminum vents/intakes developed for the Axys RMKs.

Will post when everything is available for sale.

Paul will get his sled in a couple of weeks, so if all goes well, these items may be available in September. :biggrin1:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
After running a 3" track on my stock 2013 QD gearing, I think you can run the 3.0 or 3.2 on the 2.6" track stock 2016 gearing.

ESPECIALLY if you have 7t drivers with 3.0 pitch.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
After running a 3" track on my stock 2013 QD gearing, I think you can run the 3.0 or 3.2 on the 2.6" track stock 2016 gearing.

ESPECIALLY if you have 7t drivers with 3.0 pitch.

Absolutely. I know a '15 Pro that ran the CMX belt drive running the 2.14 ratio and used 8T 3" drivers on his 3" track- for an overall ratio around 2.05. That thing rocked. If could find a cheap way to get my 2.6 tracked 800 Axys geared to around 2.1 overall would be awesome. Maybe TKI will build a belt drive for me with a ratio of 1.85 that would give me around 2.12 overall. :biggrin1:

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Absolutely. I know a '15 Pro that ran the CMX belt drive running the 2.14 ratio and used 8T 3" drivers on his 3" track- for an overall ratio around 2.05. That thing rocked. If could find a cheap way to get my 2.6 tracked 800 Axys geared to around 2.1 overall would be awesome. Maybe TKI will build a belt drive for me with a ratio of 1.85 that would give me around 2.12 overall. :biggrin1:

Tom does this for one Polaris dealer already. I am shocked anyone would want to do this though as if you find your sled rips with 2.0 gearing, you have simply not had good clutching AND 2.4 gearing.

Bottom line a sled geared at 2.0 with good clutching for that ratio is no match for a sled with 2.4 gearing with good clutching for that ratio. Of course we are talking about in the steep and deep.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Tom does this for one Polaris dealer already. I am shocked anyone would want to do this though as if you find your sled rips with 2.0 gearing, you have simply not had good clutching AND 2.4 gearing.

Bottom line a sled geared at 2.0 with good clutching for that ratio is no match for a sled with 2.4 gearing with good clutching for that ratio. Of course we are talking about in the steep and deep.

I've seen it work better, going from 2.28 to 2.14 on my '14 was way better.......and our group is in to climbing, not everyone enjoys bouncing off trees at 8000rpm doing 20mph.

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I've seen it work better, going from 2.28 to 2.14 on my '14 was way better.......and our group is in to climbing, not everyone enjoys bouncing off trees at 8000rpm doing 20mph.

What speeds do you get to? Maybe 45-55 mph climbing? You will only use the lower half of your clutch sheave up to these speeds. You should be changing your helix to shift out farther at less load rather than changing the gearing. This greatly reduces belt temps too (efficiency) and makes take off's smoother while reduces hunting for rpm's as a small movement in belt height effects gearing less. You only saw it work better because in your set up the clutching favored the 2.14 over the 2.28. Your leaving lots on the table with that approach.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
I'll end it here. You have no idea what mods (engine, clutching, and track) have been done to my sled, elevation changes I see in a given day and yet you seem to know everything wrong with my sled.....By the way, a friend that's been riding & building sleds longer than I've been alive and just about everyone else on here, been a test rider for Poo and Doo, raced sleds in RMSHA, and so on, helped me with my sled set up. So don't get your drawers in a twist if I take his advice over yours.

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I'll end it here. You have no idea what mods (engine, clutching, and track) have been done to my sled, elevation changes I see in a given day and yet you seem to know everything wrong with my sled.....By the way, a friend that's been riding & building sleds longer than I've been alive and just about everyone else on here, been a test rider for Poo and Doo, raced sleds in RMSHA, and so on, helped me with my sled set up. So don't get your drawers in a twist if I take his advice over yours.

Good because I should not share all my secrets, I will let you just think about it. Maybe you can order 1/2 a clutch then, you don't need it all. :face-icon-small-sho

I've always been impressed by Carl's clutching and shock magic (I think they fill them with Unicorn dust)
I've done the modification on the powderPro skis but never owned the Mohawks. Any feed back compared to stock on the Axys?

It isn't Unicorn dust! There is more horsepower in Fairy dust so we use that! Don't give away all our secrets!

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
It isn't Unicorn dust! There is more horsepower in Fairy dust so we use that! Don't give away all our secrets!

Careful, if the keyboard engineers on here say Unicorn dust is the thing to use, don't go against them saying Fairy dust works just as well.:biggrin1: :biggrin1: :biggrin1:

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
If I get one my plan (since I would not go balls to the walls) would be to break it in and get to know it real well, while waiting for TRS on here to figure some clutching/gearing/shock magic!! :face-icon-small-coo

Hope you get some early snow Tony..

RS

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska

For the money I've been quite impressed with what Carl's can do with stock shocks on my Pro's. I've also spent tons of money on other brands that didn't make as much improvement per $ spent as they advertised even with full details on my ride weight (gear on and sled loaded with stuff I can't live without), riding style etc. I'm not a sponsored rider (except my credit card) so I need realistic gains per $. Any others with the same experience? Polaris said they have the shocks on this dialed in compared to the Pro's. I guess we will see. Anyone know if Burandt is riding bone stock sleds in Chili with the Walker Evans for feedback? I know he's sponsored by Fox.

Angermangement890

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2002
Frazee, MN
www.koolmekustoms.com
Exit shocks are on the way, along with the 36" arms, B&M Fab front/rear bumpers and boards most likely. Team tied will be ready to go on, have a few different setups to try, hopefully the Axys responds in a similar manner to the Pro.

Talking with my Boss Jack, who is down in Chile riding sleds with Chris right now, they are just stock 2016's, but I know he has had them quite a while and probably has been working on his valving for the Chris Burandt Edition shocks that he sells. We will also have our custom valving out once we get some ride time, and with any luck, we might even get our supercharger for the new sleds out before the snow fades this winter. As usual, our clutching setup will also be available for purchase (complete with all that fairy dust!), once we get that figured out.

Daniel @ Carl's Cycle Sales

P.S. We still have two superchargers for the 2013-15 Pro's in stock if anyone is interested in them!

For the money I've been quite impressed with what Carl's can do with stock shocks on my Pro's. I've also spent tons of money on other brands that didn't make as much improvement per $ spent as they advertised even with full details on my ride weight (gear on and sled loaded with stuff I can't live without), riding style etc. I'm not a sponsored rider (except my credit card) so I need realistic gains per $. Any others with the same experience? Polaris said they have the shocks on this dialed in compared to the Pro's. I guess we will see. Anyone know if Burandt is riding bone stock sleds in Chili with the Walker Evans for feedback? I know he's sponsored by Fox.

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Talking with my Boss Jack, who is down in Chile riding sleds with Chris right now, they are just stock 2016's, but I know he has had them quite a while and probably has been working on his valving for the Chris Burandt Edition shocks that he sells. We will also have our custom valving out once we get some ride time, and with any luck, we might even get our supercharger for the new sleds out before the snow fades this winter. As usual, our clutching setup will also be available for purchase (complete with all that fairy dust!), once we get that figured out.

P.S. We still have two superchargers for the 2013-15 Pro's in stock if anyone is interested in them!

I'm not surprised to hear that Jack's down there! He's like his dad was, always trying to get real world seat time in to see what to focus attention on. His porting & polishing has really been a good bang for the buck as well in the past, even on my old 1st & 2 gen RMKs IQs & Raw chassis. Any word on if you guys have anything in the works for this new motor? Come to think of it, you guys have taken so much of my money over the years I should have brought some stock lol

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Talking with my Boss Jack, who is down in Chile riding sleds with Chris right now.
and with any luck, we might even get our supercharger for the new sleds out before the snow fades this winter.

That would be awesome! I have a ProCharger now on my old Corvette. They make some very reliable horse power with no turbo lag, way less temperature (internal and under the hood) and easy to unbolt and move to the next project X

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Phillip Yribar posted pics down in Chile riding with Chris. Completely stock sleds from what I can see. They are all the black with red decals and raw tunnel. I've wondered if they are production or a group of pre-production. Knowing now that Jack is in Chile makes me lean toward some Carl's clutching. Good advertising Carl's Cycle!

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I've been following those Chile posts from Chris, Phillip and Polaris.

VERY jealous of a trip like that. How cool could that be.

Sunridge...you've been talking about this for 10 years. WHEN do we make it happen?

WingNutRacing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2000
Lolo, MT
Hmm, i like chilli

This intrigues me,,,,,, scooter, do some more diggin!!

We need a real world price on this... .....

Premium Features