• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1st AXYS modification

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
I don't have my Snowcheck AXYS RMK yet, but wondering what my first modification will be? #1 I ride mainly lower elevations in Upper Michigan so clutching is a must. #2 I've always liked the PowderPro skis but sell them every year with my used sled. I do think the Gripper skis are the best factory skis so I might keep them because this chassis has changed so much. #3 In the past I've really liked a single pipe and can for the weight, added power and throttle response (can't really call some aftermarket cans silencers anymore). But the new H.O motor with the new power valves might work great with the stock pipe. We're already at #408, years back I couldn't get down to that with $5000 in aftermarket parts. I'm keeping the stock 2.6" track, and I don't need to get an aftermarket quick drive to gear down.
It's pretty much a given that every manufacturer makes cheap factory bumpers so I'm trying to decide what ones are best. Add an under seat, tunnel and windshield bag, extra belt, tether, Bikeman oil sleeve (keep oil cap hole straight), rail cross shaft by the bump stop and I'm ready to ride.
If you're following me, this might be the only sled I've kept stock in 15 years (other than low elevation clutching). Could this be the Ultimate Stock sled? Have our Prayers been answered?
Time will tell. Thoughts?
I'm still PrayN4snow

Last edited:

longlugs

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2013
Northern Utah
I do have high hopes for the Axys platform. However, with lessons learned after five seasons on the Pro chassis there are a few upgrades the sled will get before seeing snow.

Front bumper: The stock front bumper is very light, but absolutely useless in deflecting impacts. If you ride backcountry or trees, impacts are inevitable. I'll be ordering Van Amburg chromoly front bumper. I've had them for the past two seasons and they can take a beating.

Rear bumper: The stock Poo bumper is just fine in most cases, but the section of the tunnel between the rear running board attachment and the rear bumper is a weak spot (on the Pro, I'm assuming Poo didn't reinforce it that much on the Axys). I've seen numerous tunnels folded in, bent down or otherwise tweaked in this area. I ordered a Van Amburg short rear last season after damaging my tunnel to help strengthen the area - it's bombproof and I'll be installing one on the Axys out of the hole for piece of mind. See install here: http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=386413

Shocks: I upgraded my Walker Evans last year on my Pro. Huge difference, especially the ability to absorb a ski hit on something under the snow (rock or stump). Initiating a carve or sidehill seemed easier. I'll be putting Raptors on the Axys.

Turbo: 'Nuff said.

Where are you in Michigan? We're up in Harbor Springs and have a good group of guys that ride in the U.P. backcountry a lot and take numerous trips out west every season.

S
Nov 15, 2008
Northern ,wi
I live in northern wi and run up every weekend and west but so far my list is clutching, front bumper, rear bumper, skid plate, and ordered white grippers to finish my color scheme. In the Up front bumper and skid plate I think are must. also I ordered a sks so I'm going to get a new top gear to have case I want to drop a tooth on the top like I did last year on my (wife's now) 15 snowcheck. Other than that just like every new sled I get need tether installed tunnel bag and underseat bag with my goodies, new ves oil hose ran out the bottom and a can

Cooksend

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Tether, Bark Busters and a few physical adjustment to the pilot before this season starts!

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Fox float 3 evol R. Front end, fox float QS3, rear. Dimond s quite can .tunnel bag. Windshield bag. Goggle bag under hood.cooker mounted to pipe.tether. And maybe a head and pipe down the road after I see who's stuff works best in the field not the dyno.

Last edited:
D
Sep 10, 2014
This is what i'm looking into..

Ti quiet can
Rk-tech/Hsk 860 big bore
Clutch kit
The new 3" polaris track or the new 3,2" Camoplast.
Gear down kit
Skinz frameless seat
Front bumper

Can't wait for snow! :face-icon-small-win

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Step 1, Remove wear bars, melt out the carbides and fill with weld.
Step 2, Adjust track and suspension settings, check toe-in.
Step 3, Install Muffpot.
Step 4, fill with gas and oil
Step 5, Ride it and fine tune clutching and suspension

Eric

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
Polaris Tether, extra cross shaft between the rails, RSI Billet Throttle Block, Skid Plate, a Can, Front bumper. Depending on the piggy bank, Raptor shocks also. Undecided on the brands for most mods as most parts haven't come out yet.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Well, unlike some others, I will probably ride it and find what it needs for my liking. But here is my list once it is in the garage...

1. Remove warning stickers and foam (replace with heat tape)
2. Pull weights and balance out (they are never dead on to the tenth gram)
3. Replace can, likely with HPS just to save weight and keep a tolerable sound.
4. Adjust stuff like handlebars, throttle, skis (most narrow), track, etc.
5. Add extra belt
6. Road ride it in October and get it past break in.

I'm hoping the piggyback WE's will be better than the non-piggyback version. I might actually not spend $20k on this sled.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I'm hoping the piggyback WE's will be better than the non-piggyback version. I might actually not spend $20k on this sled.[/QUOTE said:
The piggy back shocks won't please everyone but for the reason of being anodized on the threaded spring adjustors they are way better and don't seize and strip. This makes the standard look like a pile of junk compared.

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
Diamond S Titanium Quiet Muffler (15 lbs.+ weight loss)
Modified SLP Mohawk skis with Ski-Z Snow Deflectors for additional cooling
Carl's Clutching
Carl's revalved shocks
Some venting (maybe)
Ski Doo reversible scratchers

Ride it like I stole it!

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
The piggy back shocks won't please everyone but for the reason of being anodized on the threaded spring adjustors they are way better and don't seize and strip. This makes the standard look like a pile of junk compared.

That's a good point. But the main reason I went with the Piggy Back shocks is that if I decide to upgrade the front shocks to Exit or Fox, I can likely re-valve the back and save the money of spending $3K on shocks.

WingNutRacing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2000
Lolo, MT
Little piggies

If the piggy backs are anything like last year's, they'll be shot in 400 miles.... So, yeah, plan on a revalve...

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
If the piggy backs are anything like last year's, they'll be shot in 400 miles.... So, yeah, plan on a revalve...

Have you found any factory sled with shocks that dont need rebuilding after 400 miles?
Or a revalve after 0 miles?
I haven't found any yet.
The piggyback shocks at least let me adjust them so the suckage may vary.
I plan on a rebuild-revalve and re-spring after break in.
Planning on using the 135# ti springs i already have on the front with swaybar delete.
But i'll give the stock setup with swaybar a ride or two first.
Dash bag and some black coating on a few choice bare parts should get me by til i get some miles on it.
Depending on reviews a can will be on it at some point.
If it doesn't spank my 11 out of the box I might be a tad disappointed. :)

WingNutRacing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2000
Lolo, MT
Tru dat

I will be thoroughly impressed if it runs better than my 15. That thing flat rips... I hope it is what they say it's supposed to be, Mrs. WingNut will be whoppin my a$$...

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
I do have high hopes for the Axys platform. However, with lessons learned after five seasons on the Pro chassis there are a few upgrades

Front bumper: The stock front bumper is very light, but absolutely useless in deflecting impacts. If you ride backcountry or trees, impacts are inevitable. I'll be ordering Van Amburg chromoly front bumper. I've had them for the past two seasons and they can take a beating.

Rear bumper: The stock Poo bumper is just fine in most cases, but the section of the tunnel between the rear running board attachment and the rear bumper is a weak spot Van Amburg

Where are you in Michigan?

I agree, the stock bumpers on every brand are useless in the tight trees I ride. I've had most brands out there, some work, some are as bad (weak) as stock but look nice. I could care less about looks if it protects my investment. Van Amburg does make good products so I'll see what they offer for the Axys.
Shocks: I'm going to keep the stock ones for now because they claim to have dialed them in for this chassis, I guess we'll see.
I'm in Gwinn now (near Marquette), I ride here but chase the fresh snowstorms. I need to get out west again. I lived in Alaska for 12 years and rode everywhere.

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
I live in northern wi and run up every weekend and west but so far my list is clutching, front bumper, rear bumper, skid plate, and ordered white grippers to finish my color scheme. In the Up front bumper and skid plate I think are must. also I ordered a sks so I'm going to get a new top gear to have case I want to drop a tooth on the top like I did last year on my (wife's now) 15 snowcheck. Other than that just like every new sled I get need tether installed tunnel bag and underseat bag with my goodies, new ves oil hose ran out the bottom and a can

Good points, I take for granted that everyone puts on a skid plate, better bumpers, tether and storage bags. I should've added that to my original list. Thanks!

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Diamond S Titanium Quiet Muffler (15 lbs.+ weight loss)
Modified SLP Mohawk skis with Ski-Z Snow Deflectors for additional cooling
Carl's Clutching
Carl's revalved shocks
Some venting (maybe)
Ski Doo reversible scratchers

Ride it like I stole it!

I've always been impressed by Carl's clutching and shock magic (I think they fill them with Unicorn dust)
I've done the modification on the powderPro skis but never owned the Mohawks. Any feed back compared to stock on the Axys?

Premium Features