• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Any real world HP numbers for the HO engine?

D
Nov 14, 2013
How is your 270hp making up for the weight the other 90%?

Great. No problem with me. Down in Chile Skinner said these sleds are heavy when stuck. You've answered everyone question. Lets all buy Pro because everything else suck.[/QUOTE]

im confused, are you loading up that boat anchor and coming to revy or not?

J

jhurkot

Nov 26, 2007
Revelstoke, BC
Tight tree boondocking on a turbo yamaha...... right.... and are you paying for my chiropractor and massage after the ride?

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
Look I know this is the Polaris site. I have three Pro 2014 so I do comment on it. I also have two Nytro turbos and a 2015 Viper 270 hp mcx turbo. I don't worry about engine brake in with my Yamaha's as much as my Polaris'. My viper was turbo from day 1. 15lbs at sea level and up to 19lbs around 8000+, pump fuel with head shim and i don't worry about the engine like i do my Pro's. Brake it no more than 5 lbs of boost on first tank of gas. Each sled has its pro and cons. It would be sweet if Polaris' were reliable with turbos. I don't think they are so i don't turbo mine. When ride my viper it has some much more power that its ALMOST not fun to ride the polaris'. I know this is hard to believe for most polaris riders but it's true. Power is your friend. Also, they are not just for climbing long steep chutes. It handles awesome in the tree and tight boondocking. Your selling yourself short by not giving them an honest chance. 145 hp or 168 hp is what I've read with the polaris. These numbers drop the higher you go and in deep powder track speed is your best friend. I look at hills much different with my new sled. People I ride with are impressed by this sled. Cheers.
Does it ever cross ur mind that some people dont have enuf money to own six sleds all modded out? For most of us, buying one used sled takes some budgeting. We would all love to have 100g worth of sleds to tow around but we aint got that dough. Holy crap r u a Rockefeller or what? End rant!

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
Tight tree boondocking on a turbo yamaha...... right.... and a for my chiropractor and massage after the ride?

No problems with my back and in my job more people stop working due to back problems. It also has the 2nd highest suicide rate, but i love my job. No chiropractor for me although I have more schooling than one. I don't understand why a chiropractor. Anyone that needs one after ride doesn't know how to ride. Are you bench pressing your sled in the snow? Really the only thing sore are my arms from holding on and my cheeks from smiling all day.

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
im confused, are you loading up that boat anchor and coming to revy or not?[/QUOTE]

Is that an invite? Revy is about 13 hrs from my place. I've never been but did have it on my list for this year. Is that where you are from? There is a group from Vancouver, WA that goes every year that i need to find the time to go up with them. I need more time off. Whistler is 6 hrs away so we'll go there when we have a three day weekend. Revy I need a week off to make it worth it. How's the snow right now?

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
Does it ever cross ur mind that some people dont have enuf money to own six sleds all modded out? For most of us, buying one used sled takes some budgeting. We would all love to have 100g worth of sleds to tow around but we aint got that dough. Holy crap r u a Rockefeller or what? End rant!

You took that the wrong way. Don't rant at me about money. I put off sledding and a lot of other fun things for over 10 years. I worked very hard in my life to get were I am and put in more hours than most jobs require. Than I get dumb people tell me that 39% I pay in taxes is not enough. Like I have to support all the pot heads and alcoholic in the US. I'm tired of it so if you don't like where you are in life than change it. Quit playing the violin.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
Cause since I`ve been interested in Poo`s they have been improving every year.

Only thing I have to go on. And what I see in my own and in my small world.

How about you?

You know what? I'm actually thinking of trying one of these sleds next year. Would be the first poo I've owned since a '91 650 Indy. I wish they would come out with a painted tunnel. I don't like the way snow sticks to bare aluminum. Maybe they have that coming out later. I'll still have my Cats. This would just be something to have in the trailer for the wife, spare, buddies sled. When you have a mod it's always nice to have a extra sled in the trailer.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Good for you. I think you'll enjoy it.

When I bought my Poo I needed a change. I expected the worst but have received the best. Hence "my small world". Hope you experience the same.

There will probably be paint if you want.
I need to clean up my sled every few rides. Stitch in time thing. Open it up and vacuum out the pine needles. moose hair and sticks and stuff and give a visual pull-push look. If I wait too long it becomes a major.
To finish I wipe down the sled with a few sprits of Pledge on all the plastic and painted stuff then dampen a rag with Fluid Film to wipe the aluminum. Gets rid of the sap and boot marks and oxidation to easy.
People always ask me if it's a new sled but it's 3 yrs and 3300 miles old. Takes me 1/2 beer to get it done.
Only place I get a build up is the rear mount-foot rest but every sled I have owned has done this in this area.

I think clean raw aluminum does hold too much snow from what I've seen. Side benefit for me is a sweet smelling shop for a few hrs and a reason to look for another beer.

D
Nov 14, 2013
im confused, are you loading up that boat anchor and coming to revy or not?

Is that an invite? Revy is about 13 hrs from my place. I've never been but did have it on my list for this year. Is that where you are from? There is a group from Vancouver, WA that goes every year that i need to find the time to go up with them. I need more time off. Whistler is 6 hrs away so we'll go there when we have a three day weekend. Revy I need a week off to make it worth it. How's the snow right now?[/QUOTE]

Revy is home yes, though im stuck working north in the bush at the moment. Should be sitting around 8-10ft base right now and the pow is coming, had a warm snap that settled everything, ill be home on Monday so I will have a better idea.

An invite for sure, if you think you will have the time off let me know, I will most likely be hanging around home more near the end of Feb as the oil industry grinds to a halt.

J

jhurkot

Nov 26, 2007
Revelstoke, BC
I can't believe a thread about the horsepower of the new polaris motor has turned into whether or not you can boondock a yamaha in the trees.

Back on topic... is anyone other than SLP going to have a pipe for this thing?

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
I can't believe a thread about the horsepower of the new polaris motor has turned into whether or not you can boondock a yamaha in the trees.

That's how threads and conversations go. Now you want to change it to pipes. Funny how that goes isn't it.

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
An invite for sure, if you think you will have the time off let me know, I will most likely be hanging around home more near the end of Feb as the oil industry grinds to a halt.[/QUOTE]

February I'll be in Montana. Seeley Lake. But March or the beginning of April is better for me. Send me a message when you get back.

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom

To me the bigger question is not if you could boondock a Yamaha in the trees but why anybody would want to. Sharp is definitely an outlier.

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
To me the bigger question is not if you could boondock a Yamaha in the trees but why anybody would want to. Sharp is definitely an outlier.

I am for sure. Most people ride 2 stroke. One thing for me I never do what the crowd is doing just because everyone else is. That usually leads to poor decisions. I don't follow. In our snowmobile club I'm the only one that rides a 4 stroke. The most common sled is Ski Doo. I'm asked all the time when I run into people out riding. Why Yamaha? What does your sled weigh? etc. I don't think much of it at the time, but I seem to get a lot of compliments afterwards. Maybe they feel sorry for me. I figure if I'm on a sled that is so bad and I can out perform others that are on superior sleds, than I must either be a great rider or the superior sled isn't so superior. Frankly, I think both are true.

Last edited:
S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
I am for sure. Most people ride 2 stroke. One thing for me I never do what the crowd is doing just because everyone else is. That usually leads to poor decisions. I don't follow. In our snowmobile club I'm the only one that rides a 4 stroke. The most common sled is Ski Doo. I'm asked all the time when I run into people out riding. Why Yamaha? What does your sled weigh? etc. I don't think much of it at the time, but I seem to get a lot of compliments afterwards. Maybe they feel sorry for me. I figure if I'm on a sled that is so bad and I can out perform others that are on superior sleds, than I must either be a great rider or the superior sled isn't so superior. Frankly, I think both are true.

Do you feel like you are a good boon dock rider because your Yamaha is a superior designed sled that people under estimate or do you feel you are a great boon dock rider in spite of your sleds limitations?

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
Do you feel like you are a good boon dock rider because your Yamaha is a superior designed sled that people under estimate or do you feel you are a great boon dock rider in spite of your sleds limitations?

All sleds have limitations. I think unbiased people know that. You just pick which ones you don't think are important. One persons idea of boondocking is not the same as another. Not every area or snow is the same. Boondocking in thick or thin trees, new or old forrests etc. Snow makes a big difference too. I went to Sand Mountain in Hoodoo, OR on dream day with blue skis and three feet of new snow. People were trying to climb to the top but couldn't. They were poaching each others track only to go 10 to 15 feet farther each time. I cut a fresh track and went all the way up in one try. I then finished their poached tracked to the top. I wasn't limited in horsepower like they were that day in those conditions. I wish I was a better rider. Jumping is one of them. This years been tough around here. Mt St Helens doesn't have any snow and I don't think we'll get enough to ride it. I'm hoping to make it to Revy. We have to travel to ride this year around here.

D

draginrmk

Nov 30, 2007
All sleds have limitations. I think unbiased people know that. You just pick which ones you don't think are important. One persons idea of boondocking is not the same as another. Not every area or snow is the same. Boondocking in thick or thin trees, new or old forrests etc. Snow makes a big difference too. I went to Sand Mountain in Hoodoo, OR on dream day with blue skis and three feet of new snow. People were trying to climb to the top but couldn't. They were poaching each others track only to go 10 to 15 feet farther each time. I cut a fresh track and went all the way up in one try. I then finished their poached tracked to the top. I wasn't limited in horsepower like they were that day in those conditions. I wish I was a better rider. Jumping is one of them. This years been tough around here. Mt St Helens doesn't have any snow and I don't think we'll get enough to ride it. I'm hoping to make it to Revy. We have to travel to ride this year around here.

I gotta laugh..the original post was in reference to the new ho dyno numbers...just like HCS most couldn't tune that dyno to do anything..drag race..boondock ..climb a shute....fn stupid...not very...sharp...haha

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
DTR did a 2nd dyno run on the same Axys that made 160HP earlier when new, that sled now has 1200 miles on it and made 156HP. They said 160+ with the SLP pipe but I don't know what the exact number was.

Premium Features