• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

No off trail riding in Snowy Range until 11/15/13

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
Fvcking lame... I've ridden every T-giving for years. This is total BS.

I don't agree with any new rules from the FS that we did not have a chance to comment on but the date should be 11/15 or Thanksgiving day IMO.

The last few years I haven't done much off trail riding until December anyway but one of these years we are going to get some epic snow in Oct/Nov.....

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
It's 11/15 in the Colorado state forest on Cam pass. Shoot even our WY stickers say we can ride till June 30th on them. Now we can't ride after May 30th? There is one group and one group only that whined and complained to make this happen, HUNTERS!!!

I'd like to see them try to regulate this anyway. I haven't seen a FS guy up in the snowies in the winter for years.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I'm gonna start emailing them and fight to make this at least Nov 15th - June 15th. I think we all need them to hear our voice too. Hunting season should be done by Nov 15th right?

shelbwyo

Lifetime Membership
Jun 29, 2010
Sheridan, Wyo
And no riding after May 30th.

That is BS our tags go into effect on November 15th, right?

Pretty sure there is over a foot of snow cover right now, so how can they restrict us?

"We are putting the same focus on the use of wheeled motor vehicles as we are on snowmobiles, and we are confident that the end result will be positive for Forest resources and user groups."

That is the dumbest thing i have heard. They should not be treated the same if there is ample snow cover. If there is enough snow, OSV are not harming anything on the forest. This new plan is not positive to snowmobiliers.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I called them directly and left a message to my concerns of these start and finish dates. I encourage ALL of you to do the same. Just like two plankers we need to fight other groups it seems that feel they own the place.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
I called them directly and left a message to my concerns of these start and finish dates. I encourage ALL of you to do the same. Just like two plankers we need to fight other groups it seems that feel they own the place.

What's the phone #

shelbwyo

Lifetime Membership
Jun 29, 2010
Sheridan, Wyo
Im guessing he called the Laramie Ranger District office. I will call as well.

Number is (307)745-2300

What did they say CO 2.0?

kt19

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2011
Cheyenne, Wy
I'm the secretary of the Snowy Range Snowmobile Club. We are trying to get the Forrest service to our club meeting this upcoming Thursday the 7th. If we can get them to agree to come to the meeting and discuss this, we all would have an excellent opportunity to voice our opinions. Our meetings are open to everyone and if we can get this to happen I will let everyone know.

M
Nov 27, 2007
This has nothing to do with hunters.By November 1st almost all hunting is done up where there is enough snow to ride snowmobiles. This is coming from the same place it always comes from, environmental groups and skiers! The beginning date is so skiers can have Thanksgiving to themselves and the ending date is so they can have the front side of the peaks to themselves after the road is open. If this was a legal part of the forest plan why did they need a forest supervisors order to do this? Also they changed the wording on wheeled vehicles on groomed trails to motorized wheeled not allowed to allow people with fat tire bicycles to ride on our groomed trails. Thanks to SRSC for trying to set up a meeting but I believe you have a small chance of changing anything without the help of our senators and congress women which is who I have chose to contact. The goal of the Forest Service is to manage snowmobiles as ATVs which means trails only!! This is only the beginning of the end if we can't stop this now!

3C Guiding

Dec 9, 2010
Laramie Wy.
I'm the secretary of the Snowy Range Snowmobile Club. We are trying to get the Forrest service to our club meeting this upcoming Thursday the 7th. If we can get them to agree to come to the meeting and discuss this, we all would have an excellent opportunity to voice our opinions. Our meetings are open to everyone and if we can get this to happen I will let everyone know.

keep us in the loop on this its a big hit on any area when they start putting closing dates on us. see where there checking snow depth there is spots on the best winter there is 6 inch of snow. if the gate is open most years we can ride into mid june and years like 2011 it was into july.

C

crazyclimber

Nov 26, 2007
Greeley, CO
Hell no

F...k that I was riding already on Oct. 18th off trail in 1-2ft powder breakin in the new sled. These tree huggers need to find something better to do.....:laser:

WyoRMK

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Laramie, Wyoming
Just got word that a representative from the Medicine Bow Forest Service will be attending the meeting Thursday evening to discuss the recent Winter Travel Regulations Special Order.

fd bandit

Lifetime Membership
Sep 26, 2013
I called the FS at 307-745-2300. Was transfered to voice mail of a Frank Romero. Explained that we have been heading to the Snowies for 20 plus years on thanksgivivg weekend. Have skipped a few years due to low snow and have no desire to ride if conditions are not adequate. It is a chance to head west without taking a lot of time off from work. Businesses will feel the negative effect of putting closures on the forrest. We support business in Albany, Centenial, and Ryan Park when there. There are already far less businesses open in the Snowies then there were back in the early 90's. It seems as if the local economy is of no concern to the FS when making such assinine decisions. Thank God we dont have to deal with such dip****s in the midwest.

kt19

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2011
Cheyenne, Wy
Your attendance requested

We welcome all snowmobilers to show up and listen to the Forrest service this Thursday Nov 7th explain their new regulations and answer question of why.

The more support we have show up for the snowmobiling community the higher impact we can make with the forest service.

The meeting is at 7 PM and is at the Holiday Inn 204 S 30th St, Laramie, WY 82070

We need to show the forest service as a group we are not going to take this lightly.
Hope to see you there!

Thanks

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
We welcome all snowmobilers to show up and listen to the Forrest service this Thursday Nov 7th explain their new regulations and answer question of why.

The more support we have show up for the snowmobiling community the higher impact we can make with the forest service.

The meeting is at 7 PM and is at the Holiday Inn 204 S 30th St, Laramie, WY 82070

We need to show the forest service as a group we are not going to take this lightly.
Hope to see you there!

Thanks

Glad you posted the information. Getting the word out around campus.

S

sykosledhead

Nov 26, 2007
Dayton, WY
KT 19
I would like to add a note for your meeting on Thursday.

Please remind them that Albany County SAR will have to comply with those rules and by implementig this stupid notion, they are limiting the ability of SAR to assist in missing persons, recoveries and hunting issues on the Range.

They aren't taking all aspects of what happens on the Range into considerations. Its the work of the enviroNazis.

By the way, I was ACSAR for almost 8 years and a past Vice President, if that helps.
syko

Last edited:
Premium Features