• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

m1000 13 proclimb comparison

jbusch

Premium Member
Feb 10, 2009
I spent 3 days riding both my 09M1000 and my 13 proclimb 800. Both 153. Comparison was side by side, I would perform a maneuver on the 1000, then perform the same maneuver on the proclimb. The proclimb is stock as stock gets, my m1000 is fully modded.

The proclimb once you got used to the different chassis was far superior in everything but power. We spent all 3 days in the trees at either rabbit ears pass or similar terrain. Powder was deep, the snow underneath was a little heavy, but there was about 1.5ft fresh on top, never touched by another sled. I wish I had video. Started with trees, transitioned into creek beds, jumping off boulders, steep short uphills, sidehills both up and down hills. We tested the 2 sleds as much as I could, probably the best riding that I have done so far. Simply excellent!!!

Proclimb-The engine track combination was awesome. It would out climb, hook up, and simply out maneuver the m1000 all day. The chassis was so easy to get on its side. I thought my M was, but the proclimb was superior in that ability. The proclimb did not like to come back to center as easily as the M1000 does but once you adjusted your riding style to accommodate that you can easily make it do what you want. The suspension set up on the proclimb was awesome. I am not much of a jumper but spent the entire weekend jumping off everything I could find (within reason for me). But the suspension is so soft and absorbs the hits so nice. Much better than my M, which is not a snopro btw. Also, the powder coated tunnel is amazing. I had no snow buildup on my tunnel or running boards, nothing. The m1000 even with throttle up boards was coated in snow.

The one thing about the 1000 that I really like is the power. I figure I can recreate alot of that. It wont have the torque but I didnt seem to need at all today. Its also very light in comparison. The proclimb is heavy, you don't notice it when riding but when pulling on it you do. But again, my M was super heavy when I got it as well.

What I like most about the m1000 is its ability to keep burping the throttle, keep it on top of the snow and not have to full throttle everything, only when you need the throttle is it there. The proclimb lacks a little bit of that due to its lack of power. But I never had a problem keeping it on the snow, also burping the throttle. In the trees was where is really shined, you could almost come to a complete stop on an uphill find your line, burp the throttle and the sled always went that direction.

Somethings that I don't like about the proclimb are the can, think cat can find one bigger and heavier? Also, the track humms really bad, I think due to the fact that the heat exchanger is up front and the ice builds up under the tunnel right at the front axle. The track keeps knocking that ice off and you hear this really bad humm towards the end of the day on the trail out. Filling the oil tank is ridiculous, you have to take off 2 panels to fill the oil. Really bad planning on cats part. The skis are really skinny. I didn't have any issues but they seem really narrow. Filling the gas tank is absurd as well. Cat went from the biggest mouth to the smallest mouth. You can't see into it, gas overflows onto everything unless your using a specific type of gas can. Also, when the tank is almost full it burples over the neck and again spills. Stupid design on cats part. Cant wait to get rid of that one! No storage in the seat, another stupid design on cats part. Really? No storage? I suppose that's why they give you that little bag on the tunnel, but I removed that first thing.

I cant wait to ride again next weekend.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
With the right clutching you can get that throttle control and more pull. With the better suspension it hooks better and all around I like my PC performance better, only place I prefer the 1000 is when it gets real heavy or on a long pull. easy enough to deal with with any hp mods I think.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
J thanks for the review. Very well done. I'm really leaning hard into the Pro Lite 900. 50 or so pounds lighter, 25-35 more HP, Airframes, no giant spindles, way better bigger gas tank that fills easy, better smaller seat, powder coated tunnel for 14. Basically addresses the issues you raised, more naturally aspirated HP, warranty, decent price. How much HP do you think your 1000 makes?

jbusch

Premium Member
Feb 10, 2009
Im gonna guess around 200ish, it has all bolt on mods available minus any porting. Rode again yesterday and had another side by side. Again vary comperable. Like wyo said the 1000 is great on long pull climbs but that is the only time the difference is noticable. The track seems to make up the difference in lack of hp oh the 800

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
M1000 bottom end grunt

JB if you you need to get a chance to ride the pro lite 900 I think you will be amazed at the torque. To me has the bottom end torque of the m1000 and rippieness of the 800 just a great package. I took a guy out Friday on a ride that has a ported m1000 and he was blown away or I should say had a m1000 he traded it in on a 2014 Pro lite.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Im gonna guess around 200ish, it has all bolt on mods available minus any porting. Rode again yesterday and had another side by side. Again vary comperable. Like wyo said the 1000 is great on long pull climbs but that is the only time the difference is noticable. The track seems to make up the difference in lack of hp oh the 800

Get some skinnier air frames and its even better or put pro boards on it. Other wise I can do more of the steep stuff on the m1000 but I don't have to worry about that part either. Just the belt blower is my issue.
I haven't noticed a huge difference on the tracks yet but I've been in softer snow where the old track might be better.

jbusch

Premium Member
Feb 10, 2009
JB if you you need to get a chance to ride the pro lite 900 I think you will be amazed at the torque. To me has the bottom end torque of the m1000 and rippieness of the 800 just a great package. I took a guy out Friday on a ride that has a ported m1000 and he was blown away or I should say had a m1000 he traded it in on a 2014 Pro lite.

My plan is to make it into a prolite esq. I want to add the 925 from rktech or the 950 from cutler. Add the airframes, intake from bdx or d&d racing, bdx spindles, oil delete, venting, trail tank, clutching, pipe, ypipe, and can.

So, I would assume that is pretty similar to the existing prolite. Any thoughts on this?

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
Do both sleds have the same track? Not disagreeing with your write up, just curious.. Also with the suspension mods available for the M, I would think the comparison would be close.. Sure more money I know,, but tell me you won't mod the 8.... I've only just begun to strip down my 1k and minus my labor should have it nearly 50 lbs. lighter and narrower, taller and better balanced..
Sounds like a pro-climb huh? It will be near that, for what you would have paid for a new 2012.
162 but then I should have a sled I can ride for years.. As far as the engine goes if I lose it
something better will take it's place...

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
99% sure he's still got the stock track on the 1000... so comparing the 2.6 to the 2.25... tall order.

We'll have his two, my 12, and my little 146 XM out this weekend at Vagabond, I'm really curious to harass him into letting me ride it, and laughing at him trying ride mine (and vice versa since he's about 10" taller than me I think, 5'8" vs 6'6"!)

It'll be nice to see the 13 for more than a few minutes and see how it does compared to the 12 & even the XM.

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
XM

99% sure he's still got the stock track on the 1000... so comparing the 2.6 to the 2.25... tall order.

We'll have his two, my 12, and my little 146 XM out this weekend at Vagabond, I'm really curious to harass him into letting me ride it, and laughing at him trying ride mine (and vice versa since he's about 10" taller than me I think, 5'8" vs 6'6"!)

It'll be nice to see the 13 for more than a few minutes and see how it does compared to the 12 & even the XM.

How you liken the Doo..........

jbusch

Premium Member
Feb 10, 2009
Do both sleds have the same track? Not disagreeing with your write up, just curious.. Also with the suspension mods available for the M, I would think the comparison would be close.. Sure more money I know,, but tell me you won't mod the 8.... I've only just begun to strip down my 1k and minus my labor should have it nearly 50 lbs. lighter and narrower, taller and better balanced..
Sounds like a pro-climb huh? It will be near that, for what you would have paid for a new 2012.
162 but then I should have a sled I can ride for years.. As far as the engine goes if I lose it
something better will take it's place...

Same length but not the same paddle depth. Both tracks are stock. Of course I am going to mod the proclimb. The list of mods on my m1000 are numerous. All bolt on engine mods available. RKT head, bikeman exhaust set up, bdx air, boony box, 2011 seat, narrowed front end, oil delete, etc. So, its lighter than my proclimb right now. The one thing that I really noticed about the proclimb which took some adjusting, was that it doesn't want to upright itself as easy as the 1K has the lay down motor and like to come back to center. The pro doesn't so when you figure it out is so easy to sidehill, wrong foot forward, turn sharp, etc as it doesn't want to come back until you tell it to. I love my m1K, it never treated me wrong! But, this sled just out performed my m1k. I had a direct side-side. I was jumping from one to the other and back again and I just rode with more confidence on my proclimb.

jbusch

Premium Member
Feb 10, 2009

Ill have to make sure my insurance is paid up!!!

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
How you liken the Doo..........

Love it. Very impressed at what I can do on it. 146 is a great length for me.

All i can say is forget what you k ow about the handling turds that we call skidoo... the xm may look similar, but it's hugely different.

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Premium Features