• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gooseneck vs Bumper Pull

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I've wondered the same thing. Is it really worth the money? I have an 18' enclosed that is obviously smaller than your four place. But my Duramax yanks it around like it's not even back there. It's a two axle steel framed (heavy!) trailer but is it worth spending the extra money, making it a little longer, making it a dedicated 5th wheel that some vehicles won't be able to pull and not allowing you to use a truck shell/topper? Plus I'm usually within an hour of my riding spots. Maybe it makes sense for guys who travel a lot. Anyone with a conversion that can elaborate? What do the conversions cost?

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
I have a 29 foot bumper pull. Ive thought about converting it to a gooseneck and I also live less than an hour from great riding.
My old pickup had a shell on it (current one does not) and it just seemed to be a junk collector. Yes it was nice to throw stuff back there and keep it dry but you can put the riding gear up in the overshot and it does the same thing.
If you have a shell on it you can't throw the sled or bike or whatever in the back of the pickup and go so you are hooking up the trailer for everything.
29 feet is a heck of a lot for a single dirtbike.
The gooseneck will pull better and be easier to turn around in tight places as it can turn sharper.

With a flipover ball in the bed you have an open bed or the same room in your overshot as you would a shell.

Probably the only draw back is going to be the drive in and out aspect you lose that a V nose bumper pull has. With reverse on most sleds now it isn't as big a deal as it used to be.

I would say Forget the shell and go gooseneck if you can.

Last edited:
A
Apr 9, 2011
Driggs, Idaho
I all ready have the hide-a-ball setup. I live in Driggs so most of the riding I do is very close. It has a side ramp so you can still pull through. It seems like everyone agrees the gooseneck is the way to go. On a new trails west it is $4000 retail price ($2600) actual cost difference. Sounds like it will be worth it. Thanks to all for the input!!

J

Jordo

Nov 3, 2009
Stillwater,MN
I have a 30' Pace shadow enclosed which I can fit 6 sleds in plus all are gear, and it's great but man I wish I would of bought a gooseneck now! Now I live in Minnesota so we have to come across country to go ride, but my bumper pull sucks when I'm fully loaded and the winds blowing. My next trailer will be a gooseneck no matter what the price differance.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
^^^Seems like a good setup for a guy driving all over the place.

So, your front drive off ramp get's eliminated? That will kill it for me. Yeah I have reverse, but sometimes its just easier to come off the front ramp.

My old pickup had a shell on it (current one does not) and it just seemed to be a junk collector. Yes it was nice to throw stuff back there and keep it dry but you can put the riding gear up in the overshot and it does the same thing.

I need it for another reason. I don't want my yellow lab in my black leather truck. We just need more sheltered space for everyday use. I get your drift though. I could always use a rear hitch mounted ramp for my moto!

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
A good weight distributing / anti sway hitch does wonders for a heavy bumper pull, but yeah, I think I wish I'd had sprung for the goose neck when I had my trailer built last fall. Not that it pulled bad as a bumper pull with the hitch, but yeah, it would have been better as a goose neck.

J

Jordo

Nov 3, 2009
Stillwater,MN
A good weight distributing / anti sway hitch does wonders for a heavy bumper pull, but yeah, I think I wish I'd had sprung for the goose neck when I had my trailer built last fall. Not that it pulled bad as a bumper pull with the hitch, but yeah, it would have been better as a goose neck.

Yeah totally agree with u on weight distributing is very huge but when every square inch of the trailer is taken it gets really tight and we just pray the Door closes. And I'm buying a anti sway hitch this year I heard they help a lot.

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
Airbags work great to.
The 98 Ram 2500 wandered like a drunken sailor when it was loaded heavy. After I put the airbags on and leveled it back out it completely quit.
My 07 Ram 2500 wasnt as bad but it still rides better now I have the bags on it.

Premium Features