• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dodge 6.7 or 5.9 pros and cons

S
Oct 26, 2001
Westpoint, Utah
The old Smokindodge is about to be traded in....with 230K at 450hp it's starting to show it's age....To say the truth, I have been looking at Duramax's....but, what is the general consences on the newer Dodge 6.7 with the 6 speed auto? I have reseached alittle on TDR there are some that love them and some that hate them.

I am looking for some real world experiences please...

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
No experience personally with the 6.7 but, I ordered my 07' with the 5.9. If I could do it all over again it would have the 6.7 and auto. People are getting fantastic mileage with them. I get 14 mpg with the 6 speed manual...:mad:

R
Jan 14, 2009
Chelan
Not to be negative, but I think if Dodge could have met the requirements of the new EPA regs they would have stuck with the 5.9 If you think about it, they have a great auto now with exaust brake. That tranny behind a 5.9 would be a winner! Just my .02!!

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Not to be negative, but I think if Dodge could have met the requirements of the new EPA regs they would have stuck with the 5.9 If you think about it, they have a great auto now with exaust brake. That tranny behind a 5.9 would be a winner! Just my .02!!

I agree with the tranny part. Same can be said about the truck.

"Best thing Dodge did was put a Cummins in their truck, the worse thing Cummins did was put a Dodge around their motor."

I suppose some guys don't care about the specifics of the truck, but I think both GM and Ford have a much better truck. I went with a GMC for that reason. I love my LBZ and 6 spd.

R
I agree that the combo of the 6.7 and the 6 speed auto is really nice. However, my 07 and some other 07 6.7's I know of do not get good mileage at all. Mine gets about 10 mpg loaded. Empty it gets about 14 around town and 18 highway. Supposedly the 08's and later get significantly better mileage. That said, I wouldn't trade the 6.7 I have for anything else out there right now.

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
I agree with the tranny part. Same can be said about the truck.

"Best thing Dodge did was put a Cummins in their truck, the worse thing Cummins did was put a Dodge around their motor."

I suppose some guys don't care about the specifics of the truck, but I think both GM and Ford have a much better truck. I went with a GMC for that reason. I love my LBZ and 6 spd.

I would agree about the better trucks. However, I hated my Chevy Duramax. When GMC desides to build a truck, and not car with a bed, they will have a winner.

S
Oct 26, 2001
Westpoint, Utah
I would agree about the better trucks. However, I hated my Chevy Duramax. When GMC desides to build a truck, and not car with a bed, they will have a winner.

This is exactly what is keeping me from commiting to the GM...I use the $hit out of my trucks and I'm afraid the front end won't last.

I just went and drove an 08 dodge 6.7, 17k miles...I like it....hmmm

Nov 19, 2008
B.C. Canada
a couple buddies have 07 6.7 dodges and both had to do ball joints and tie rods already at 60000kms just because there straight axle doesnt mean there better the average chev or gm in bush driving conditions can go 200,000kms on ball joints. The majority of bush trucks in our town are chev there a little low in the front but last longer pounding down dirt roads. I agree the cummins is a great motor especially with the jake head brake but the trucks r just not up to par. had a 2000 3/4 4x4 worst truck i ever owned had a warrrenty report longer tha your arm and only 34000kms so maybe that soured me haha

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.

Something to consider.... If you ever look around town at all the construction companies and delivery/service truck companies, how many Dodges do you see? I can tell you for a fact that in Yakima, 70% of construction company vehicles are Chevys, 80% of light/medium duty delivery/servicing trucks are Fords... and Dodges are just kind of around, lol. Couldn't honestly tell you the last time I saw a construction rig that was a Dodge, except maybe United Rentals, they have a couple Dodge pickups sitting outside, but that's about it.

Not knocking Dodge, just telling the way it is around here...:beer;

R
Jan 21, 2008
Meridian, Idaho
I think it depends on where you live and experiences people have with their trucks. I see lots of contractors driving Dodges and Fords and not too many Chevy's around here. I have owned Dodge diesels (2001 & 2003) and Chevy Duramax (2005) and am now back with Dodge (2009 with the 6 speed auto). My previous dodges had manual tranny's which worked well as long as you weren't stuck in traffic. I liked my chevy but mostly because of the Allison tranny. This new Dodge has tons of power and so far pulling a 4 place enclosed loaded in the mountains the engine brake works great. It will be interesting to see what the mileage does but on one trip running empty (no trailer) I averaged 19. I think they all make good trucks (never owned a Ford but see lots of them around) so it just depends on what you have had luck with and who your dealer is (service means A LOT when something goes wrong). Good luck in your decision.

R

robertyoke

Dec 26, 2007
colorado
Something to consider.... If you ever look around town at all the construction companies and delivery/service truck companies, how many Dodges do you see? I can tell you for a fact that in Yakima, 70% of construction company vehicles are Chevys, 80% of light/medium duty delivery/servicing trucks are Fords... and Dodges are just kind of around, lol. Couldn't honestly tell you the last time I saw a construction rig that was a Dodge, except maybe United Rentals, they have a couple Dodge pickups sitting outside, but that's about it.

hate to tell ya but most large fleet dealers go where they get the best deal.....not the best truck.

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut

Well, I have to tell you, I am one of "those" construction companies. I have owned quite a few pickups, have owned atleast one from each of the big three in the last four years. I "use" the shat out of my trucks, therefore I require a "real" truck. I cannot load a Gm product stock like I can the others. Therein lies my issue with them. I absolutely hate fixing all the issues with Dodges. But they have by far the best steering on the market, the engine speaks for it self, and you can load the ever living piss out of them, and they take it like a champ. My Chevy did not have any issues at all as far as breaking down, but I could not use it like I have the others. So why should it?

I actually drive a new Ford daily. And prefer it.......:beer;

R

robertyoke

Dec 26, 2007
colorado

Well, I have to tell you, I am one of "those" construction companies. I have owned quite a few pickups, have owned atleast one from each of the big three in the last four years. I "use" the shat out of my trucks, therefore I require a "real" truck. I cannot load a Gm product stock like I can the others. Therein lies my issue with them. I absolutely hate fixing all the issues with Dodges. But they have by far the best steering on the market, the engine speaks for it self, and you can load the ever living piss out of them, and they take it like a champ. My Chevy did not have any issues at all as far as breaking down, but I could not use it like I have the others. So why should it?

I actually drive a new Ford daily. And prefer it.......:beer;

thats nice and all.....but what do the above responses have to do with a Cummins 5.9l isbe vs the 6.7l isbe??

the 6.7 and the 5.9 are brothers, bigger bore and longer stroke on the 6.7 was made for the ever increasing emissions mandated by the epa and the ever increasing hp wars.....but thats a good thing, well the hp part. the other changes were for nvh and durability.
the downside to the 6.7 was it was made after the jan 01 2007 emission tier and so it gets the dpf and other related emission crap. on the plus side it gets 68rfe to replace the 48re and fully intgraded exhaust brake. it seems like some really like and some have had problems with the 6.7 but thats all three manufactures have had problems with dpf systems. if you drive it on short trips and dont really pull heavy loads it will go into regen often and i think that where the problems are. the guys the run/tow the crap out of them have less problems...but there are the ones made on manday after a hard weekend of drinkin in mexico and well they just break, chevy, ford or dodge.
oh yea my $.02 worth

C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
you cant go wrong with a 6.7. the 10s now have just as nice of interior as a ford or chevy. just buy one, do all of your deletes, put a smarty or xrt on it and go. you will be code free with the power to tow anything. ive got 37s on mine and towed a 27 ft steel enclosed with two sleds and ten barrels of race fuel from cooke to helena last weekend and got over thirteen hand calc'd mpg

S
Nov 27, 2007
Ive had a 05 5.9 and 08 6.7. The tranny in the 6.7 is awesome to tow with, WAY better than my 05 and exhaust brake is better. Well worth the mileage drop over the 5.9.
If you live somewhere where they dont do emissions get a XRT or Smarty tuner and ditch the EGR/DPF and get your mileage and reliability of the 5.9.
That being said, I just sold my 08 because the service departments suck. I fought tooth and nail for anything so I parted ways with Dodge. ALL the big 3s are having problems with the new emission equipment so ask around locally what kind of service people are getting.

T

trinitypowder

Nov 26, 2007
I have 45,000 on my '08 6.7 SRW 1 ton. I get about 16 mpg empty at 75-80 mph, and around 11-13 mpg towing a 14,000# bobcat and trailer. If you think the 6.7 should get the same mileage as the 5.9, it won't and it shouldn't-its a bigger motor!! The tranny and engine brake are awesome. I use my truck for work and run the pee out of it. It almost always has a trailer behind and is being used like it's meant to be used. I have not had one single issue, period. My buddies that have had problems are like alot of people that buy diesels cause their expensive and cool!! The 6.7 WANTS to be worked and if you use it for it's intended purposes, it works very well! I wish I had the '10's interior, but that will have to wait for about 300,000 miles!

H
Oct 7, 2008
Ferndale,Wa.
I have a 08 6.7 mega and once I did the deletes I love it! It is a shame you need to spend time and money on a new truck but once you do it will be better than stock. The 6.7 plus the 6 speed auto is a blast to drive.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
This is exactly what is keeping me from commiting to the GM...I use the $hit out of my trucks and I'm afraid the front end won't last.

I just went and drove an 08 dodge 6.7, 17k miles...I like it....hmmm

The front ends do last. I'll agree that the IFS of the GM doesn't hold up to extreme loads that a solid front axle can deal with. But you have to buy what works for you. I don't haul much other than sleds and soon to be slide in camper. I like the IFS on my GMC because it is a better daily driver than the harsh ride of a solid front. My truck rides better, has a ton of power, best tranny and great interior. For me it works better.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I'm curious why everyone thinks the Aliison is the BEST tranny ? Is it drivability ? Is it holding up to big power ? What makes it the best ? I remember when the Allison was out for the first couple of years and it broke down and stranded way more people than the Dodge tranny did because of electronics and a non limp mode. An Allison in stock trim will not take any more abuse than a Dodge or a Ford. Just curious ? Maybe its the 6 speed ?

Premium Features