• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Loud Exhaust On Snowmobiles... Is there a place for this anymore?

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

snowdog484

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Winsted, MN
Well, well. I agree with 2xm3 and mountainhorse and a lot of other post as well. I have older sleds that are loud and newer ones that are quiet. Love them all, they all have their place to be ridden, sad, but true. That being said, the sled manufactures in the last six years have cut the emissions in half and dropped the sound levels considerably. Hats off to them great job!

The problem with this in my eyes is this. The cost to us darn near doubled the sleds price. So be it pay to play, I'm still on board. The Greenies and libs not good enough for them though! The obama admin. just cut sleds in yellowstone from(I don't recall exact numbers)720 sleds a day going through to 318. That is TOTAL BS. We and the manufactures are doing are part and we are still getting our riding privileges taken away.

So do we keep on meeting their demands and loose our riding areas or say the he!! with it ride what we want because we will still lose our riding areas anyway?

Thats why I am torn I'm all for better product but we still get slapped in the face. When is enough, enough we have to stand by that line drawn in the snow, both sides.

Debate aside...

I asked this question earlier.

For those of us who have sleds that have a loud exhaust that would take steps to make them quieter (regardless of intent or reason), what are the options?

SLP was mentioned.
Who/what else?

Thanks.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The majority of the loud exhausts on sleds are from mufflers (aka Cans) alone added to the stock pipes. Some are from aftermarket pipes with stingers but not near the numbers that are just Cans.

In all the stock piped sleds that are out there... you have options for the mufflers that keep sound levels down, MFG's that come to mind...SLP, Skinz Protectective Gear (SPG).

For turbos, adding any kind of a muffler will help as most are not muffled at all. The turbo itself does act as a resonator of sorts but is still louder than a stinger when on the throttle. There are some very well designed mufflers for the turbo systems out there as well that still keep the performance.

And like the conversation that ICR and I had above... Asking for a quiter muffler when you order your twins or have that custom exhaust made.

As far a drawing a line... make sure it is what really matters to you. To me, sledding and access to it is more important to me than my exhaust. And dont forget... there are a lot of card carrying conservatives out there that vote for land closures too.

T&A1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Craig, Colorado
I also agree that loud exhaust is irritating but with that said. My neighbors dogs make way more noise than my TM8. My sled runs from the garage to the trailer and back. The dogs bark all day!! I haven't had one single complaint about my sled running at 7:00 in the morning so I don't call the cops on the neighbor about his dogs.

J
Apr 11, 2008
North Bend , WA
Sorry T&A, not a good comparison. In fact, belongs in another topic all together. Barking dog all day= fart cans on sleds...............:confused:
I also agree that loud exhaust is irritating but with that said. My neighbors dogs make way more noise than my TM8. My sled runs from the garage to the trailer and back. The dogs bark all day!! I haven't had one single complaint about my sled running at 7:00 in the morning so I don't call the cops on the neighbor about his dogs.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
Debate aside...

I asked this question earlier.

For those of us who have sleds that have a loud exhaust that would take steps to make them quieter (regardless of intent or reason), what are the options?

SLP was mentioned.
Who/what else?

Thanks.

HPS cans. They are quiet, light and affordable. Work well with stock or aftermarket pipes.

IMO, loud exhaust is for those who can't see their wee-wee when they pee.

yammi4ever

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Garwin, Iowa
The noise needs to be kept to a minimum, it is irresponsible to even think we can make an argument for other people or vehicles (Harleys for instance). There is no reason to make these sleds loud and risk closures PERIOD. Just like everything in life if there are just a few who choose to do this the rest of us will pay by being punished somehow.

In a county away from me the entire county has outlawed engine braking by semis (I am fine with that by the way lol) and I guarantee you the only reason it has happened is because of the few guys running large exhausts and no mufflers. Now the guys who did it right are getting screwed.

My opinion only,

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Who really thinks it will stop them from trying to close the land we ride on? Yellowstone is a good example. We made the sleds quite...wasn't enough...now emissions...not enough...now they still want to close it to sledding. I'm not saying that I think loud sleds are really needed but I also don't think it matters...it's simply an excuse the greenies use to close land. They will invent another one. Say we get EVERY sled quite...will that be enough? My guess is it wouldn't change a thing with those who try to close land. The reality is they do this for a living...they need a cause...they close our land down for a living. You really think they are going to give up on a billion dollar industry? Money is the driver here...not our sleds.

N
Nov 26, 2007
CowTown
Its about being a purist and being able to cut fresh tracks on every hill. They don't want to share with us, they just want to be able to go out to the hills and be all alone and cut fresh tracks on a new slope each run without sled tracks on it.

Its partially about ego's IMO.

It doesn't make you feel like much of a hardcore backcountry skier when you hike all day to get up to the top of a hill, and some sledder rides right past you, 10 minutes from the parking lot..... So much for thinking you're a hardcore backcountry guru and that you've greatly increased the distance between yourself and society.

They play the sound card every time they get, to work the PR magic the way they want to keep us out.

NSC

No doubt that there is a lot of "holier than thou" going on out there. Azz holes come in all colors, shapes and sizes. And, the "entitled, self-righteous" are usually the last to be introspective about it. What erks me the most is when these people get condescending and arrogant about subjects where they are fueled by borrowed extremist passion with a slim grasp of fact.

Sadly for every person that posts or even lurks on this site who has an awareness of the issues, there probably as many or more who don't, some of which act like imbeciles at the trail head and on the trail, not helping the collective. And people remember the bad shiz much longer then the act of kindness IMO. In the war of public opinion, they will lie cheat and steal to forward their cause. This also means they will take an inch and stretch it into a mile.

For me choosing to run a quieter sled is a personal choice, I don't like to draw attention to myself, regardless of who is looking/listening. Both of our sleds were purchased used with aftermarket cans on them, IMO they are needlessly loud, they will be replaced with an SLP product or something better.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Jim,

It WON'T stop people from trying to close lands... and it is not just the skiers either...

It is the impression that the public gets of snowmobiles that ARE and will Continue to close lands off to OHV use.

My guess is it wouldn't change a thing with those who try to close land.

This is a point where I obviously disagree. See mine/others posts in the previous pages as to why in detail.

If the sleds are quieter, closure groups have less ammo to use against sleds and access.

Now, the bad apples in the sledding community that rip by a family on snow shoes with thier straight piped turbo screaming "F.U. Greenies, you suck" as they lay on the throttle is not doing anything for our cause either... IMO... they are WORSE for sledding than the Closure groups that are working so hard to shut things down.

My point here is that the obnoxious exhausts on some of the sleds are making it difficult for the sport in general...

People with loud exhausts on thier sleds are in the minority of sleds out there... there are more box-stock sleds on the mountian than ones with just cans... much less the entire mod sled group.

The people with loud sleds are making it difficult for the Majority of other sledders to keep their riding areas open.

If you have a loud exhaust (NA or Turbo)... I know you dont want someone telling you you cant run it.

You will find it difficult to ride this in the near future... Try riding Rabbit Ears this winter with stingers on your sled... see if you don't have a problem with the sound check.

Like I said above... we need to police ourselves... or someone will do it for us. And the public won't take away your loud exhaust... just the areas that you enjoy riding.

Please read the above posts CAREFULLY... I think that the topic has been well presented. Dont just read the first or last page of this discussion... it is far to important of an issue to miss.

Last edited:

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I agree that we need to try to be as quiet as we can. There are alot of people that are undecided about more wilderness and just need some idiotic behavior from a sledder to go to the wrong side.

I have a turbo and bought a muffler for it as soon as it was available for my sled.

A

Anti-Hero

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 6, 2001
Longmont, Colorado
put whatever exhaust on your sled, car, truck, whatever as long as you happy with what you got. WE have become so PC that instead of greenies bit(hin about loud pipes, now it is a division of sledders. Jesus let people do their own $h!t. sure do i like the loud azzed sled racing in the parking lot, NO we make fun of them but i would never preach to that guy.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
put whatever exhaust on your sled, car, truck, whatever as long as you happy with what you got. WE have become so PC that instead of greenies bit(hin about loud pipes, now it is a division of sledders. Jesus let people do their own $h!t. sure do i like the loud azzed sled racing in the parking lot, NO we make fun of them but i would never preach to that guy.

We are now bit(hen because it gives them more ammo to use against us. Why would you willingly give them more reasons to close public land?

S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
Some of you are REALLY missing the point.
NO quiet pipes won't get any land back
NO quiet pipes won't stop closures
NO quiet pipes isn't the end all answer
YES it will give the greenies one less thing and if the general public doesn't have a problem then it gives the greenies a hell of a lot less.

Someone mentioned Yellowstone and 4strokes only and how they are slowly getting the BAT sleds kicked out. The key word here is SLOWLY. Sleds would be a distant memory if they weren't quiet.

I know how some of you feel and you think it's just a matter of time and everything will be closed so F' em, your gonna do what you want to do.
Well your right. It is a matter of time but we can do something to change the time part anyway.
Not changing our ways is what the greenies are HOPING we will do because then they control the time.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
HPS cans. They are quiet, light and affordable. Work well with stock or aftermarket pipes.

IMO, loud exhaust is for those who can't see their wee-wee when they pee.

On an XP with a stock exhaust, YES I agree but definitely not on a REV, damn thing almost made my ears bleed.
Pretty sure there obnoxious on Poo's and Cat's too.

I just hope all the other manufactures do the same thing that Doo did with that baffle in the pipe, don't matter really what can you put on it won't be obnoxious...which after this thread it's obvious we can't police ourselves and once again someone has to do it for us.

We are NO better then the liberals we all complain about who a few ruin it for everyone else.

P

Puddy Tat

Oct 4, 2008
Northern, Utah
I really don’t think that it’s really the sound of the sled but I think it’s the garbage that’s left behind and not only from snowmobilers but ATVer’s campers and boaters. And so on!! Pack it in pack it out!!! It makes me so mad to see all the crap the people leave behind. They need to stop this or anyone who likes to play with toys outside will have no land to play on. Respect our land. yes its true some sleds are loud but I believe that your sled runs better than stock because of less back pressure, but you don’t have to have it that loud. and also I love hearing the sound resonates through the canyon. I am totally opposed to ANY more laws telling me what I can and can't do with my life. And I think anyone that plays with their toys needs to sign up for SAWS

A

Anti-Hero

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 6, 2001
Longmont, Colorado
We are now bit(hen because it gives them more ammo to use against us. Why would you willingly give them more reasons to close public land?

As I said before it could be a sled with zero dB, that looked like jerry garcia and have northern light buds coming out the exhaust, and they would still hate us all the same and find some other $hit to Bit(h about Face the facts! Then what it will be sledders bit(hin at sledders because they told the greenies to go F themselves, and more ammo for the greenies because some people don't fight PC!!

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
On an XP with a stock exhaust, YES I agree but definitely not on a REV, damn thing almost made my ears bleed.
Pretty sure there obnoxious on Poo's and Cat's too.

I just hope all the other manufactures do the same thing that Doo did with that baffle in the pipe, don't matter really what can you put on it won't be obnoxious...which after this thread it's obvious we can't police ourselves and once again someone has to do it for us.

We are NO better then the liberals we all complain about who a few ruin it for everyone else.

My XP does not have a stock exhaust. Tossed that away when I bought it

Premium Features