• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

new forum points system?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Since this has obviously caught most everyone's attention, I thought I would take a couple minutes to explain in a bit more detail just how on earth we are computing this new points system that generates the colored bars your now seeing.

The following is how SnoWest evaluates each member and determines their total score. Each of these carries a different value of points, the lowest being 0.5 and the highest being 50 right now.

Points for infractions (negative)
Points for completing profile
Points for reputation
Points for reputation use (giving rep points)

Points for days online
Points for social group members
Points for friends
Points for visitor messages
Points for album pictures
Points for referrals
Points for new threads started
Points for tags
Points for thread votes
Points for replies to own threads
Points for thread views
Points for sticky threads
Points for posts
Points for attachment views
Points for views on other user's attachments
Points for Thanks
Points for downloads
Points for vBulletin Blog
Points for Social Group Discussions
Points for Social Group Messages

But as you can see, the points calculations look at the TOTAL activity of an SnoWest member. You could never post a single thread on SnoWest and still rack up plenty of points by being an active participating member on the site in other ways.

UNDERSTANDING THE BARS.
Underneath the name of the poster are three colored bars.

ORANGE
The orange bar displays your total number of SnoWest points, and the bar shows your relative score as compared to the top poster on the site.

GREEN
The green bar shows your activity level based on participation on SnoWest. Every member can MAX out this bar just by being active in the various categories that award points.

BLUE
The blue bar shows how close you are to being promoted to the next level. There are 100 levels of membership from 0 points, to the highest score recorded on SnoWest. Levels are broken down in equal increments from top to bottom.

These three bars will allow any member to quickly get a snapshot of any other SnoWest member.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
When I loaded the Bars this morning, they were NOT displaying any usefull information.
So I "hid" them in your user information till we were able to force all of your history to be fully calculated and displayed properly.

If you click on your name or anyone else's name, you will see them while we are getting them tuned.

W
Nov 26, 2007
Snoqualmie, WA
So, do these points carry over from the old forum? If they do, is there any way of getting that stuff carried over? I didn't do that when the change came about because I didn't see any reason to.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Right now there are NO points being calculated from anything previous to this forum in the last 2 years or so.

The final computation of Points for each member is happening right now.

Its taking a good 3 hours to get it done.

When done, the bars will re-appear and everyone should have honest scores now.

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
what the heck is the point of these "scores"? It's like the max rep thread mutated and took over:eek:

and now I can't read my rep comments....

BossRev

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Pleasant Grove, Utah
Since this has obviously caught most everyone's attention, I thought I would take a couple minutes to explain in a bit more detail just how on earth we are computing this new points system that generates the colored bars your now seeing.

The following is how SnoWest evaluates each member and determines their total score. Each of these carries a different value of points, the lowest being 0.5 and the highest being 50 right now.

Points for infractions (negative)
Points for completing profile
Points for reputation
Points for reputation use (giving rep points)

Points for days online
Points for social group members
Points for friends
Points for visitor messages
Points for album pictures
Points for referrals
Points for new threads started
Points for tags
Points for thread votes
Points for replies to own threads
Points for thread views
Points for sticky threads
Points for posts
Points for attachment views
Points for views on other user's attachments
Points for Thanks
Points for downloads
Points for vBulletin Blog
Points for Social Group Discussions
Points for Social Group Messages

But as you can see, the points calculations look at the TOTAL activity of an SnoWest member. You could never post a single thread on SnoWest and still rack up plenty of points by being an active participating member on the site in other ways.

UNDERSTANDING THE BARS.
Underneath the name of the poster are three colored bars.

ORANGE
The orange bar displays your total number of SnoWest points, and the bar shows your relative score as compared to the top poster on the site.

GREEN
The green bar shows your activity level based on participation on SnoWest. Every member can MAX out this bar just by being active in the various categories that award points.

BLUE
The blue bar shows how close you are to being promoted to the next level. There are 100 levels of membership from 0 points, to the highest score recorded on SnoWest. Levels are broken down in equal increments from top to bottom.

These three bars will allow any member to quickly get a snapshot of any other SnoWest member.

:rolleyes:

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Wow, when you said changes were coming, I had no idea...:eek::mad:

This new rating system is way too complicated and more of a distraction from the information... :eek::eek::confused:

the percentage of stepping up to the next catagory seems especially dumb, if there are really 100 levels of points, why do we need to be so picky to know how close we are to the next level?

Personally I think your getting a little carried away with this process now, the sub forums are good, and the few additional forums are good, but it seems like a lot of excess, non-needed information.

:beer;

A

Abominable

Dec 30, 2003
Evel Knievel jump site, ID
snowest.com
When I loaded the Bars this morning, they were NOT displaying any usefull information.
So I "hid" them in your user information till we were able to force all of your history to be fully calculated and displayed properly.

If you click on your name or anyone else's name, you will see them while we are getting them tuned.

Why not "hide" them again Christopher? They don't need to be displayed to serve their purpose. :beer;

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Why not "hide" them again Christopher? They don't need to be displayed to serve their purpose. :beer;
As I have said several times now, PLEASE BE PATIENT. There really is a game plan here that we are following, a method to our madness as it were....

You will see them get smaller and smaller as time goes by.

Right now the old rep system just went OFF LINE and the new one just came ON-LINE. This is a HUGE CHANGE for most of the members of this forum.

Give me a week or two so that most of the SnoWest members get a chance to see them and understand them.

Then, step one will be to remove the text, that will reduce their footprint by 50%.

Step Two will be a user toggle that allows each user to choose whether or not to view them on their personal display. At that point you will have full control over them.

Premium Features