• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sticking Throttle Cable, High RPM need cable ASAP.

M
Dec 21, 2007
Washington
Took the 06 900 RMK out for the first time after being summerized by the dealer. Had the bars raised and the dealer "extended" the throttle cable, and found the cable was sticking and cannot be adjusted enough to drop the rpms.

Removing the extension cable and cable connecting box and maxing out the adjustment on the cable only lowers the rpms to 1900, so now way of getting into reverse. As well the idle is erratic, but I think that could be the stale gas left in the tank that was "stabllized."

Needless to say, planning on riding the next two weeks while on vacation, so where can I find a replacement cable asap?

Or is there adjustment that can be made at the throttle itself on the engine?

Thanks!!!!

By the way, the 07 Dragon was great in the new powder.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Do yourself a favor and throw away that extension! They are nothing but headaches, and possibly worse when the throttle sticks on you. Get ahold of fat boy frenchy on here and get him to set you up with one of his cables that he makes for the 900's. He can make them in extended lengths so it will fit with your risers.

M
Dec 21, 2007
Washington
Thanks!

I pm'd him.

Is there any adjustment for the throttle at the throttle body like a screw similiar to carb idle speed settings on cars?

Or is the only adjustment done on the cable?

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Thanks!

I pm'd him.

Is there any adjustment for the throttle at the throttle body like a screw similiar to carb idle speed settings on cars?

Or is the only adjustment done on the cable?

Not that I know of, but there is a throttle stop you might be able to back off a little bit?

M
Dec 21, 2007
Washington
The cable has slack in it.

I will look at the throttle stop tomorrow, since that may be keeping the throttle open.

Thanks for the information. Of course I wanted to ride tomorrow and this happened late today!!!!!

We are supposed to get 2 feet tonight and another foot tomorrow during the day.

N

NewfieBullet1973

Dec 20, 2007
Same thing happened to me this year when I installed a cable extension - rpm's all over the place. Installed the FBF cable and everything's back to normal!!!! Lose the ext kit!!

R
Jun 13, 2005
Ironwood,MI
The stock polaris throttle cables are junk. If you have to put any little curve in the line, over time it will kink the line. I bought 3 OEM lines so fan and finnaly got one from speed works, and they are made so so so much better, and it was about 5 inches longer to adjust for my rizers

M
Dec 21, 2007
Washington
Thanks.

I set the throttle stop using the 8 mm and allen wrench and now up and running.

Found out what the rough idle was. Pulled the plugs, and found the center most cylinders tip was bent closed all the way. I must wonder how that got that way.

There is no way that the cylinder came up that far to bend it closed, right?

Again, thanks all for the information. I will be getting a replacement cable as soon as I can.

M
Dec 21, 2007
Washington
So after getting the throttle stop set and it running great for a day, it would not idle on the next wednesday. As long as you kept your hand on the throttle, not increasing the rpms, just resting on the handle it would run. As soon as you take your hand away it would die.

Well I found out there is a second adjustment that needs to be done. You must take up the slack in the cable end at the throttle handle by turning the in line adjuster. Once I did this and got the rpms just right it has been perfect since.

Wanted to let anyone reading this thread know about this additional step, so updated this now. After riding the 07 700 Dragon so much, I had forgotten how smooth the 900's torque and throttle was. :)

Thanks again all!

Premium Features