• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cell Phone GPS Tracking

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
I read an article where they showed that the phone company could turn on the tracking, or the microphone, even when the phone's power was off. They aint really off, unless their ground into dust.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
I read an article where they showed that the phone company could turn on the tracking, or the microphone, even when the phone's power was off. They aint really off, unless their ground into dust.

.... not really.... Any phone, when on, is communicating with a few towers. It registers its ESN with the towers and if that phone is called, the network routes the call to that tower. It's possible to "track" the phone by watching what towers its communicating with. (Anyone with a service monitor and a computer can probably do this...)

A lot of newer phones don't turn "off" all the way.... they go into standby. Pulling the battery will guarantee it's not going to be much more than a paperweight. There's a lot of these cellphone-conspiracy-theories floating around, most are written and spread by people who really don't know how the phones and cellular network operates.

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
.... not really.... Any phone, when on, is communicating with a few towers. It registers its ESN with the towers and if that phone is called, the network routes the call to that tower. It's possible to "track" the phone by watching what towers its communicating with. (Anyone with a service monitor and a computer can probably do this...)

A lot of newer phones don't turn "off" all the way.... they go into standby. Pulling the battery will guarantee it's not going to be much more than a paperweight. There's a lot of these cellphone-conspiracy-theories floating around, most are written and spread by people who really don't know how the phones and cellular network operates.

I don't really follow. It won't be hard to use a super capacitor, to keep the unit on for a short amount of time, even after the battery is pulled. Doubt any phones have that yet. But, it's just a design option. Also, if the phone is communicating, there's nothing to prevent the 911 GPS NEMA data from being accessed, and transmitted constantly. Just a software hack by the phone manufacture. I think all new phones have that.

A lot of the rumors came out of this court case. "roving bug"
Cell Phone Bugs The Mob

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
I'm guessing they tried...when it first showed 3 years ago?!?

:beer;

Snoboner

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle Point, OR
Used my phone number but the Sattelite must be on a time delay. It showed where I was this morning. Still kinda cool though...

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
I don't really follow. It won't be hard to use a super capacitor, to keep the unit on for a short amount of time, even after the battery is pulled. Doubt any phones have that yet. But, it's just a design option. Also, if the phone is communicating, there's nothing to prevent the 911 GPS NEMA data from being accessed, and transmitted constantly. Just a software hack by the phone manufacture. I think all new phones have that.

A lot of the rumors came out of this court case. "roving bug"

Supercaps do provide a good bit of power for their size, but not enough to keep the thing going and transmitting for all that long. Mostly they're used for SRAM power and the like. We use one on our bracelets to write battery removal events to flash and keep the RTC alive. Doesn't take much current to drain that thing though. A low-power GPS receiver would still draw ~10mA, and the transmitter would probably be around 150mA when it's transmitting. You'd need a pretty good size supercap to keep just those two systems up for any appreciable amount of time.

Most cellphones don't have true GPS receivers in them... they use a cellular variation of differential GPS. Time codes and position information of the cell towers are used to estimate a position by calculating the difference in arrival times of those signals at the phone.

Of course, if you don't want someone tracking you from your cellphone, just leave the phone at home...... easy enough.

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
Supercaps do provide a good bit of power for their size, but not enough to keep the thing going and transmitting for all that long. Mostly they're used for SRAM power and the like. We use one on our bracelets to write battery removal events to flash and keep the RTC alive. Doesn't take much current to drain that thing though. A low-power GPS receiver would still draw ~10mA, and the transmitter would probably be around 150mA when it's transmitting. You'd need a pretty good size supercap to keep just those two systems up for any appreciable amount of time.

Most cellphones don't have true GPS receivers in them... they use a cellular variation of differential GPS. Time codes and position information of the cell towers are used to estimate a position by calculating the difference in arrival times of those signals at the phone.

Of course, if you don't want someone tracking you from your cellphone, just leave the phone at home...... easy enough.

OK, that's interesting. I assumed they all just incorporated a SiRFII/III type receiver, with WAAS. So, differential time code from the tower and the GPS Sat? Seems like by the time you did all that, it'd be easier to just use WAAS or old style DGPS with the tower as the DGPS base. Or does the cell phone measure arrival differences between available Sats, then data packets them off to the tower for it to calculate the offset it sees in the Sats? Send the timecode so the tower can go back and get what it saw.

Interesting, if the tower has to be involved, that would complicate things. I assumed a GPS chip would interrupt out of Stndby every couple minutes, just long enough to acquire, then peekAboo the transmitter on a non reliable type channel with a cutdown coordinates packet.

M
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson,CA
You fellas want to hide out, just come on over to my place. Live a half a frikken mile from the tower and POS service. Why will it work in a tunnel along the Columbia river, but not within sight of the tower.:mad:

F
Aug 5, 2001
Utah
Thats funny as he11 but you know thats a mobile phone number collector right? dont put your number in their unless you wanna start getting spam texts

S
Dec 29, 2001
Brainerd,MN
You fellas want to hide out, just come on over to my place. Live a half a frikken mile from the tower and POS service. Why will it work in a tunnel along the Columbia river, but not within sight of the tower.:mad:
That tower might belong to another cell carrier, and not to the provider you subscribe to.
Every cell tower one sees does not carry calls from every provider. True, some sites are shared with maybe one, or two other carriers. More an exception than a rule.

Also some tower sites might look like a "cell tower" site, but in fact may belong to State,County, or Municipal public services. Also elctric power, and petroleum companies have an extensive network of tower sites for monitoring their "grid", or pipelines, respectively.

M
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson,CA
There's also a small possibility that they have the antenna setup in such a way as to cause a dead spot right where you are.

How do they know where I am? Oh ya, GPS tracking! Ahhh.:face-icon-small-win The problem is that they seem to move that tower in such away that no matter where I am the call jus...................hello, can you here me now?

Wiz - I know what you're saying and often times in the past with analog, one company tower would bleed into your reception if you were in close.

"Yes Dad I think that fertilizer ought to go on at that rate. Whats that, no I don't know whats on the grocery list. Who is this? Sorry Bob, but I'm not your wife."

Kind of thing.

But this is NEXTEL with a NEXTEL Tower, not even Sprint. I believe they make it work just good enough that you won't leave.

Premium Features