• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Electric starter kit with lightweight battery

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
I'm on my third lithium Ion battery and I can say with some confidence that they have limitations. I started with a Li-Ion on my Nytro, and as crazy as it sounds the 800 Etec is harder to start than an 3 cylinder Nytro at any given temperature.

I could trust my Li-Ion to start my Nytro down to -10 celcius, no problem. My Summit would be half of that -5C. I could probably spend 15 minutes cycling the battery to get the Summit to go in colder temps, but not going there....too hard on the starter/electrical system.

Basically I use the Li-ion in spring conditions when its warm or any situation where the battery will stay warm...like day drives.

I use the biggest Shorai LFX36L3-BS12, which is the biggest possible and almost the same size as the stocker battery.

OTM

What he said -- had the same experience with the Snowbike as well as Yamaha sleds on Lithium Ion Batteries

jjmyzrider

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
Helena, MT
This electric start I purchased doesn't have the wiring harness to plug in the solinoid to the main harness, ski told me they don't sell just the plug in harness they have in there kit, does anyone know where I can get one, or at least the ends to make one with the wiring diagram?

My 2015 came wired from the factory with that connector. If yours is the same as the sled in this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tkvkaqDs8k at the the 4:50 mark you will need what ( I think) is a tyco amp connector. Not 100% sure on that, BRP is not in business to make connectors, it has to be available some where, I think you need the female side of these......

http://www.amazon.com/Bluecell-Wate...07&sr=8-2&keywords=waterproof+2+pin+connector

ryanjeri

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
ID
I have e-start with a lightweight battery from "ballistic battery".
This is my third season on it, ride in all sorts of cold, It has never been just dead. I can recall 3 times I have had to cycle it then it takes off, one of the times we have 4 trucks that would not start. Once started and warmed up I never have any issues with starting the rest of the day.

This year I picked up one of the little battery pack/jump starter things from costco, figured if it got really cold I would see how it works for starting my sled, I have no intention on taking it riding, just using it for the initial start if the battery decides it's to cold.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
You are correct once started and electricity is moving the lithium ion batterie will work for riding all day no problem.

Cold starts on the other hand will leave you -- well cold.

Have never had one that would crank a sled at -25 or colder period most will leave you stranded at much less than that.

Once boosted all is well--if you can live with that all is well.

I rather pull while is still can , once I am a geriatric old fart I may reconsider .

One little caution do not try to crank your sled when the batterie only turns it over at slow speed where it can not start, had several guys burn out starters doing that trying to heat up the batterie. Usually that eventually works the price may be higher than expected.

AkSledHed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 12, 2009
Eagle River, Ak
This electric start I purchased doesn't have the wiring harness to plug in the solinoid to the main harness, ski told me they don't sell just the plug in harness they have in there kit, does anyone know where I can get one, or at least the ends to make one with the wiring diagram?

Have you tried looking at the IPB for your sled with the e-start? I didn't see a solenoid but there was a starter relay. What sled did your e-start kit come off of?

Premium Features