• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Down Hill Carving

S
Apr 15, 2017
I bought a 2016 M8000 ltd 153 this season and I noticed compared to a Skidoo (XP and XM) it doesn't carve as good going down hill. I find it just pushes going straight and feels like the front end is heavy requiring lots of power to turn. I don't have any issues with the handling otherwise, when climbing or sidehilling its awesome...just the steeper down hill carving seems to just not be as easy as a Skidoo. Suspension is adjusted for less ski pressure. Anyone have this issue too? Maybe get different skis?

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
wrong foot forward on this machine, always. downhill is what i feel it does best. great balance. took some copying of an experienced proclimb rider on my part to get the hang, now i feel right at home.
1)stop if ya can, 2)crank bars opposite direction, and 3)yank er over. once on edge use your outside leg and extra countersteering to keep er in control. so easy imo. mowhawk skis added to the predictability for me. skidoo would be my last choice here.

S
Apr 15, 2017
sno*jet, what you describe I can do no problem and I like the cat better than the skidoo for doing turns like that...its one of the reasons I got it.

I am talking more about down hill carving like a skier, side to side...I love to do this and can do it no problem with the m8000 but its just not the same or as fluid as a skidoo cause the front end seems to wanna dig\dive in somewhat.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
so slalom style then? the pitchy over the front doo is good for that stuff.
i like to change direction and hold the line for a while.
either way the stock skis can be improved upon.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I bought a 2016 M8000 ltd 153 this season and I noticed compared to a Skidoo (XP and XM) it doesn't carve as good going down hill.

Reading this sentence is like reading a foreign language to me. Downhill control on the cats is worlds better than an xm, especially an xp and definitely better than a pro.

Just gotta gently giver a little gas.

I do think the skidoos turn a little more naturally but the problem is that once they start turning they just keep going because countersteering doesn't do squat. The cats are fully controllable in my opinion. Just gotta get used to it.

S
Apr 15, 2017
Reading this sentence is like reading a foreign language to me. Downhill control on the cats is worlds better than an xm, especially an xp and definitely better than a pro.

Just gotta gently giver a little gas.

I do think the skidoos turn a little more naturally but the problem is that once they start turning they just keep going because countersteering doesn't do squat. The cats are fully controllable in my opinion. Just gotta get used to it.

Don't get me wrong I like the M8000 most other situations but the down hill side to side carving. The front just seems heavy and wants to plow. The 2016 M8000's are worlds ahead of an XP for sure especially sidehilling, climbing...and much MUCH more.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I find getting way up in the toe holds, feet on both sides, a little lean into the turn, a little counter steer, a little or a lot of thumb depending how deep and it lays right over. Ditch the AC skis like was mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Don't get me wrong I like the M8000 most other situations but the down hill side to side carving. The front just seems heavy and wants to plow. The 2016 M8000's are worlds ahead of an XP for sure especially sidehilling, climbing...and much MUCH more.

I do know what you mean. If you slow down too much in blower pow or baking pow that's getting heated up, it is easy to drop a ski and auger in. You just need to get used countersteering just bit before you let it happen.

I can see why it would be a new feel coming from any skidoo. those things do nothing when countersteering so you get used to just not doing it. You'll figure it out. And you realize you have WAY more control than on an xm. But yeah you can't just lean the sled and do nothing else like a skidoo.

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
I'm really struggling with this issue on my 12 proclimb with SLP 36" front end and SLP powder pro skis. Post forward, long steering arm mod.. It just doesn't carve like my old ski-doos did. the balance / tipping point seems so small, go too far and it panels out / augers in and its game over. I had my friends ride it and they felt the same. Climbing and anywhere else I love it, does better than my doos. I'm not sure what I need to do. Maybe some of the big simmons powder skis?

33799404372_3bf8841369_h_d.jpg

33799392242_449919c082_h_d.jpg

32243084040_813874ed15_h_d.jpg

Suzzy-Q

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Mackenzie B.C. Canada
I find getting way up in the toe holds, feet on both sides, a little lean into the turn, a little counter steer, a little or a lot of thumb depending how deep and it lays right over. Ditch the AC skis like was mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like this guy said tuck right into the toe holds counter and have fun you can't ride the proclimb like your doo, even if you put goof steering into it lol jk chassis geometry is different

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I think anyone who has spent a decent amount of time on all 3 brands can agree that the Doo is the funnest sled on downhill carves. Couldn't tell you why but they really shine here.

The only real solution I can see to make the sled dive less would be wider skis and/or making sure your ski rubbers are in good shape. Problems will be worse in heavy wet snow like pictured above.

clutch

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Big Horns Wyoming
Too soft of front suspension, and also front arm on the rear suspension will cause this as well. Get your suspension set right and it will do everything better.:face-icon-small-hap

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
Too soft of front suspension, and also front arm on the rear suspension will cause this as well. Get your suspension set right and it will do everything better.:face-icon-small-hap

I went all the way to 125psi / 250psi evol on my front fox floats and it didnt seem tp help?

S
Apr 15, 2017
Thanks for all the feedback. Its definitely correct to say its worse in heaver snow and when the conditions are marginal. I was riding heavy snow last Friday which prompted me to make a post. I can carve it up still and usually don't get stuck or wiped out trying to do it (unless of course I am pushing things and asking for it:face-icon-small-ton), just takes more effort and not as fluid as what I have ridden in the past. Guess I just gotta figure the machine out both suspension setup and skills.

Last edited:

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
n16ht5 have you done a skid relocate? the stuff i read about '12s is scary. cat has tweeked so many things since then. even the bend in the rails right? i dont think i understand the complaint because ive mainly rode dropped case '17+ cats.? anywho hit me up sometime if you wanna ride kittitas county sometime n16.

P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
kinda funny- i had the exact opposite experience recently. spent a day on an xm, and found that i really had to fight the sled to initiate a downhill carve. i chalk it up to not having much time on the chassis. the balance points are definitely different.

both sleds obviously get the job done, but the cat still feels more surgical to me. however, not to confuse carving with steering. i'd say the cat carves better, the doo steers better.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I think anyone who has spent a decent amount of time on all 3 brands can agree that the Doo is the funnest sled on downhill carves.

Maybe I haven't spent enough time on them but I don't agree with this at all. (thinking XMs here, I still haven't gotten to give a G4 a good fair ride)

Sure they lean and start turning easily but it's really hard for me to (for example) Initiate a turn, hold a straight line either downhill or completely sidehill, then turn back up or down in small amounts.

Like I said the countersteering control on both cat and Polaris is worlds better.

Premium Features