• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

clutch doesnt engage until 4500 rpm and clunks hard

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
Hey guys. bought a sled that was in an accident. replaced the chain cases. had the clutch and jack shaft out.

when ridden now... the clutch doesnt want to engage until around 4500 rpm. and it hits hard. same when going into reverse.. it slams hard and at a high RPM. what would cause this?

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Dirty clutch!

It's probably just the weights hanging up. It happens with things get nasty in there.

Pull the cover and make sure the weights can swing freely, that they outer ramp is smooth without any divots in any of them, and that the rollers/sliders the arms slide along look good.

If all of that is fine, then yeah, you've just got a sacked out spring.

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
awesome guys. thanks for the advice! I will look into those. seems easy.

I must admit... I forgot a possibly important detail. long story short, im an idiot and tipped it with no oil cap on. and I spilled about 1 quart of oil.. it all leaked over the clutch, then onto my floor. I cleaned it pretty good. could that have caused it?

what is the primary spring? lot of work to replace?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
First mark the clutch parts so u put it back together exactly the way it came apart. (Its a balanced unit) then take off the belt.
Take off those 6 bolts. Pull the cover out of the sled, grab the spring pull it out.
Now u can move the sheave in and check the weights and rollers.
Install is reversal of removal.
8ac857099cd1a7bffe0c5b454fdc34fc.jpg
51c10d184591e52881abdc8ce932436b.jpg

Mountain Cat!

Last edited:

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I had the same problem earlier in the year. Search "engagement" in the proclimb section. I don't know how to copy the link here. But, the information I was given, solved and greatly improved mine.

Last edited:
C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
awesome!!!! thanks for the tips and especially the pics. helps a ton. seems super easy.

im always scared to take apart things with springs... not sure if its from a buddy that took apart a semi brake and had a rotor smash his face bones, or when my brother took apart the neighbors carb and when he loosened that last screw... the spring shot the cover, and all the small parts all over the garage.

ill take a look this week and keep you all updated!

thanks

Premium Features