• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Way to go dummies

T

trackvs2wheels

Nov 26, 2007
Monument, CO
That's funny...I know who that was and one of my riding buddies was there with him in the same chute...

Not too smart for sure...but we all know the allure of fresh powder has a way of making our decision making skills about equal to a 3rd grader!!

D

deadcat

Nov 27, 2007
Castle Rock CO
Wtf

Too many dummies. A fellow sledder dies near Kebler and this forum is silent.

Need to share and learn from bad situations to avoid more.

Snowest forum members have died and will die again in the future.

B
Feb 19, 2011
there was discussion on the kebler fatality in the "Alexander lodge closed" thread. The discussion just happened to transpire in that thread as information was becoming available and not in its own thread.

These threads serve as a healthy reminder, but in addition to the necessity for riders to always exercise serious caution when the avy conditions are extreme like they are...the conditions are what they are regardless of what accidents happened or didn't happen. As the previous post pointed out, it is still important to learn from the actions of others. Sometimes caution is exercised and things still go wrong. Sometimes its poor judgement, or a bad last minute decision. None of us were there, its not a fair judgement on our part to say a person acted without caution, even though it may look as such. Different riders feel different about the risks they are willing to take.

A tool i use to learn from others experiences is CAIC. They do a great job of investigating, analyzing, and providing a report for the public of avalanches that involve victims so that everyone can better understand what went wrong, for the better of the backcountry community. Frequently I feel like avy victims get covered with a blanket judgment that implies they were being just plain careless, which just isn't always the case. Hind sight is always 20/20..

Checking CAIC and any local avalanche reports and forecasts is a responsible thing you can do before heading out, and everything after that is up to the persons own judgement call. Accidents happen, even to the most trained of backcountry users. Not all accidents are because the person was a "dummy" or being careless, avalanches by nature are unpredictable, sometimes even the smartest and most trained guys of all fall victim to white death. Most guys' know the risks we take on when we head out as well as when we're on the hill, its just part of the life and passion we live when we go sledding/backcountry skiing/boarding etc. Its very unfortunate and saddening when things like this happen, and learn from it we shall.

its our own responsibility to pay attention and check the reports before you go and the conditions on location. If this man didn't have this accident, would you be any less cautious from here on out?? Im assuming everyone's saying "no, of coarse not", because the conditions are what they are regardless.

My sincere condolences to family and friends of Mr. Josh Lesniak of Berlin, WI. The fatality in the kebler/seven sisters slide.

Everyone stay safe out there, check the reports, check yourself, use your heads and question all slopes, and have a great ride

Last edited:
S
Oct 11, 2010
Colorado Springs
This is actually me in this video, I would like to say thanks to the guys that are not calling me a dummy. When I was heading up you can see how deep it is and I needed to turn out. Of course I knew that was a HIGH danger zone, and I was dumb for being there. It was crazy fun and I was caught up in the moment of deep fun, hens me turning up and going for more. This was a huge eye opener for me. And I have learned alot from this. Pluse there was two of us playing in the same DUMB spot. We are so lucky that nobody was hurt or buried is this.

I would also like to add, I am not a crazy super AVY aware person. I cam from South Dakota and grew up riding in ditches. And I have alot of learning to do in the backcountry.

If there is anything to take from this, just look at how powerful these are and make sure you and your friends know how to use your gear properly. They can happen at any time and the places are endless.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
Glad your alright.
Did that completely blindside you?
Did the guy that showed up at the end with the bag fired get caught in the slide at all?

scottbilt95

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
golden, colorado
scottbiltracing.us
avy danger awareness

strong: glad you are okay; super lucky. the graphic reality of that wall of snow blindsiding you literally made me say "holy sh#$" when i watched it. the good news is i'm pretty sure you and your crew are more aware of what can happen. the look on your face after it happened pretty much indicates that. the bad news, in my opinion, is that there will be people who watch it and still won't learn from it. there is nothing in that video that we don't already know:

-danger is high (at least in colorado)
-it's an existing runout path
-no more than one on a slope
-poor visibility

the reality is that in order to "learn" people need to want to learn. with the popularity of helmet cams, by now we have all seen videos similar to this one but are they really changing the way people think? i hope it doesn't take a video of pulling a dead guy with a blue face out of the snow but that is all that's left that hasn't been shown or at least i haven't seen it yet.

here's the thing: it's not easy. all of us drawn to the adrenaline rush this type of riding gives, myself included, have to constantly battle the "should i or shouldn't i" scenario and will probably have to as long as you have the capability to ride like this. what finally made me think more was having a family and my responsibilities to them but up until then, age didn't matter, i could have easily been the guy in the next video.

we rode vail pass yesterday.super high avy danger. i have climbed/dropped shrine bowl too many times to count over the years but this day didn't go within 100 yards of the base of it. i wanted to, especially when one of our crew did try to climb it but turned out. all i could think when he was on the hill was "okay, if it breaks, you gotta stay calm". i'm pretty confident i would have have climbed it if i tried but wtf business do i have on a hill that i was already anticipating breaking with someone else on it? that's the same mentality as "i have an avy bag so i can take more risk". anyway, stayed off the hills and still had a kickass day sending it and dangling.

once again, glad strong is okay and gets to ride another day.

jeff

F
Jan 2, 2009
N. 208
glad you made it out

It's great that you admitted to not being super avy aware,,,,, for those who aren't this is a perfect example. That thing blind sided you. I DO know better and have been lucky a couple times from trying stupid shizzle I couldn't resist. These days I am lucky to have a riding partner to talk me out of doing the stupid, as well as paying attention to each snow storm and layers as the season goes on.
So, point being everyone,, talk your buddies (especially if they aren't avy savvy) out of risky moves when the conditions on slopes are severe as they are now, and will be for a while. RIDE SAFE TO RIDE AGAIN. Buried 6 ft. deep in an avalanche is COLD, not cool.

F
Jan 2, 2009
N. 208
indeed nothing to be proud of

I look at it more as a learning tool. Horrible choice of lines up an avalanche chute, the way it hit him out of nowhere, but even at that it appeared that he looked for his buddy that was behind him right away, and that his crew got to him fairly quickly, the kind of response I would expect from my crew. It was the one thing everyone did right. Nobody had to die to get the impact of what could have been for this lesson. I will remember this when I go Friday. I'll hit ya tomorrow Duke1 to confirm that, if ya want to go, foot is feeling good. :rockon:

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Goes with out saying but, I'm sure everyone is relieved that no one got injured or killed in this situation. Yet ANOTHER great reminder to take an AVY COURSE.

Mike Duffy's (Avalanche 1) courses are priceless.

Just watching that video through the lenses perspective made me sick to my stomach. I would have not gone up that hill given conditions and what I've learned via Mike's classes. (Not judging.......just making the point that you will gain knowledge taking a class or two or three)

Ride to ride another day.

Best to all you guys.

S
Oct 11, 2010
Colorado Springs
Thanks guys for all the support, Really means alot, because I know everybody could just be flat out telling me how dumb I am and shouldnt even be on a snowmobile. I just put it on facebook to show my friends back home, beings they are coming out the the following weekend. It went crazy with sharing, long story short a guy from Canada sent messaged me and asked me to put it on youtube, I did that and it went CRAZY CRAZY. my phone literally has not stopped ringing from all over the world.

I never guessed this would have ever come out of it. However if it takes people looking at this in pitty, to show people like my friends back home how serious these are, then I will gladly take all the bad comments that go with it.

I do consider myself stupid lucky, beings all you hear about on the news right now is the people that didnt come out how I did. And to their friends and families, they have my deepest sympathy.

Trust me, I know how bad this could have been for me, let alone the friends that were with me that day. I will for sure ride with much more caution, and be looking for where my crew is heading when its time to get to a spot and play.

Thnaks again guys,

S
Oct 11, 2010
Colorado Springs
I honestly think this is not bad for the sport, bad is when you hear of the guys not coming out. And I also feel this is a big part of the backcountry. Not just snowmobiles get caught in avys, I would have never thought in a million years somebody could get caught in on snow-shoeing.

Im not looking to argue or get in a pissing match, I would much rather meet a bunch of people to ride with, that can show me their knowledge, and maybe I can show them something new.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Crested Butte, CO
Regarding the slide on Keber Pass / Seven-Sisters:

My neighbor dug out the deceased. It was a very tough scene here for all responders, and the family & friends of the fellow who perished.

Poor terrain selection, hair-trigger conditions = tragic results. Not the first time.

130" in 10 days has an effect. Not always a good one.

Read the reports, read the terrain, make SMART decisions. Live to ride another day!

MtnDoo

BTW - really glad the fellow in the video didn't end up like the others.

Too many dummies. A fellow sledder dies near Kebler and this forum is silent.

Need to share and learn from bad situations to avoid more.

Snowest forum members have died and will die again in the future.

Last edited:

mtnxr

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Colorado
I agree..it is easy to be dumb in the moment, sometimes flat out stupid, I think many of us have been there. This is an eye opener and I am glad everyone is OK. I think it is really important to make this very public within the snowmobile community and the backcountry community in general. We all need to respect mother nature and that is extra important in the heat of the moment when you are having fun with friends. If your gut or your brain questions what you are doing...make all your friends aware and be that guy that speaks up. Next weekend...next month and next year are far more important than one fun risky line. Enjoy!

DenverR1

Premium Member
Dec 10, 2007
Denver, CO
Glad you're ok bro!

So instead of calling this guy names I think we should point out all the reasons why this was not a good place and/or time to climb. I know several were mentioned, but if we are truly going to learn from this lets hear them all.

BOHICA

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Colorado
Strong, glad your OK! But I've gotta say, the Piers Morgan interview didn't do backcountry snowmobilers any good. Only took a couple of minutes for him to start throwing around the word "regulation", pretty much what I expected. On a good note we won't be seeing him in the mountains anytime soon as he thinks we are all bloody "crazy".
You got a free pass on this one, learn from it!

S
Oct 11, 2010
Colorado Springs
Trust me, never in a million year did I ever think by putting a video on youtube would ever go this far, I love snowmobiling, I would be the first one in a VERY long line im sure to fight to always be able to ride.

Thanks guys, I really like reading your impute. good/or bad. Any advice goes a long ways. I am defiantly going to learn from this mistake, not just to make myself a safer rider, but to help other people be safer.

Thanks

D
Nov 27, 2007
Piers Morgan interview? At any point did it occur to you to just say no thanks and stop talking about this to people who would like nothing better than to lock up the backcountry? Sheesh

Premium Features