• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Any updates on the Trygstad 872R motor

M

Mach-ster

Jan 5, 2008
I have also got to say that I have had nothing but the best of experiences with Dave Trygstad. I had two champ 440 motors from dave and I also owned a Warnert 600 open mod built by Dave and they were all simply amazing. The only thing in my mind that is better than Daves products, is his willingness to help his customers. If it wasnt for all the help I got from him, I would not have had near the success that I did. Dave, and his workmanship are second to none!

I've been saying this for quite some time now, though I don't have his BB yet
my 800R he did for me friggen rips! IF we ever get any snow around hear he want's me to try his 872 on (set the hook in the mouth lol) his dyno is stingy! and when he says 180+ she's stout!!! true professional in every sense of the word. Very happy customer.

C

CBX

Jan 21, 2008
Round one's! All of Dave's engine's that I have used run these.

Here is one of Dave's engine's at work in colorado at 12,000ft elevation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_ej...xt=C393d20bUDOEgsToPDskJYaDl7wd2SnYcf_ACG4WA7

Nice video! dont' see too many almost minute long pulls around here on snowest. At least not on sleds without a turbo. Especially up that high, They loose a ton of power at 9k, cant imagaine 12k...:face-icon-small-con

was that an 872 by chance?

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
Nice video! dont' see too many almost minute long pulls around here on snowest. At least not on sleds without a turbo. Especially up that high, They loose a ton of power at 9k, cant imagaine 12k...:face-icon-small-con

was that an 872 by chance?

Pretty sure that was Dbook's 880 mod.

M

Mach-ster

Jan 5, 2008
Wow 580's and 600's I thought the 540 you recommended for my 872 were big. Was thinking of jetting down just a touch but sounds like I should leave the 540's.

I have 540's in my (ported / head) Trygstad 800R at sea level

T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
Well spent the day riding and clutching This 872 of [mountain highs]this is the first BB twin i've played with.All i can say is wow what a BRUTE .I'm also clutching a 1100 stroker crank shop triple 205hp@8300,8500 on pump gas, it in a rev 04 159 chassis .So far in The 872 we do like the 433's ,130-290, thundershift arms total weight 96 grams clicker#2 8000 rpm engages at 3200 rpm and straight 42.Two totally diffrent beasts both very fun but the 872 is hands down easier to dial.

Last edited:
M

madmini660

Nov 6, 2008
lewistown mt
well can finally talk about my 872R finally had to spill the beans to my buddy just couldn't handle him saying man that 800 is ripping anymore had to say it should it's an 872 haha then we raced his dad has an shr860 as well as my dad and my buddy has a turbo 800r and the first couple races before I broke my limiter strap the 872 was pulling everyone even the turbo but the snow was all fluff and I have a 174 so will see how it pulls when the snow sets up but had a kid with an 860rk tec at one of the holes we dropped into that kept asking what big bore i had but couldn't tell him didn't tell my buddy tell later but he couldn't even track stomp out of the hole we where playing in but I think he had alot of clutch work to do so can't say it was all motor but I've been around the shr860 my dad has one and my buddy's dad has one and the 872 has more bottom end grunt then both of them didn't think it would out pull my buddy's dad's sled but it did and thats awesome all I can say is Thanks Dave cant wait to see what Dave has for this motor in the future would be awesome to beat the turbo at 10lbs next year but got him at 7lbs the other day and the motor still has more in it still have some clutching to do and maybe a little jetting anyone thinking of a 860 I would go 872 it shows when you have a 872 with a 174 that is out running an 860 with a 163 that says alot when we where both on packed tracks and it wouldn't have done that before AWESOME WORK DAVE you the man :face-icon-small-coo

T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
well can finally talk about my 872R finally had to spill the beans to my buddy just couldn't handle him saying man that 800 is ripping anymore had to say it should it's an 872 haha then we raced his dad has an shr860 as well as my dad and my buddy has a turbo 800r and the first couple races before I broke my limiter strap the 872 was pulling everyone even the turbo but the snow was all fluff and I have a 174 so will see how it pulls when the snow sets up but had a kid with an 860rk tec at one of the holes we dropped into that kept asking what big bore i had but couldn't tell him didn't tell my buddy tell later but he couldn't even track stomp out of the hole we where playing in but I think he had alot of clutch work to do so can't say it was all motor but I've been around the shr860 my dad has one and my buddy's dad has one and the 872 has more bottom end grunt then both of them didn't think it would out pull my buddy's dad's sled but it did and thats awesome all I can say is Thanks Dave cant wait to see what Dave has for this motor in the future would be awesome to beat the turbo at 10lbs next year but got him at 7lbs the other day and the motor still has more in it still have some clutching to do and maybe a little jetting anyone thinking of a 860 I would go 872 it shows when you have a 872 with a 174 that is out running an 860 with a 163 that says alot when we where both on packed tracks and it wouldn't have done that before AWESOME WORK DAVE you the man :face-icon-small-coo
Yep Good news, they make HUGE bottom end don't they?.I've never had to scratch my head at all, this motor is amazing.I was eating supper with a buddy that spent over 30,000.00 on a turbo sled, that has been less than impressive to say the least,he leaves messages after messages and a couple days or a week later they get back to him, mean while Dave calls just to see how things are going and if i have any questions?That my freinds is customer service.HE will be doing my wifes 800 and my 600, mountainhighs 872 starts way nicer , zero vibarations and GRUNTS from 3400 rpm rate up to 8200 beat that power band:hail:

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
madmini's 872 works well, but, I can count the times he beat the turbo racing w/ one finger. Middle if he is reading:face-icon-small-hap. 174 on his sled was an absolute monster w/ the snow conditions we had. Just kept going. My turbo would wheelie and trench, he could go to a sidehill and keep going while I would start to dig a bottomless trench. May have to swap skids w/ the 860 and kick his arse!! Finally a naturally aspirated sled to run against the old man's 860, time to dial it in some more. Winter just got more fun.

M

madmini660

Nov 6, 2008
lewistown mt
got a question what egt's are people getting with this motor just put the shims in the needles again had them in the stock setting and raised them .20 with 500mains and seemed to pull harder before i raised them is anyone else saw this as well the only reason I raised the needles was it would try and get hot in the mid range and wide open would be 1150 which i think is good but would see almost that in the mid range but now with the needles raise I'm seeing 780 at wide open and I dont think it's pulling as hard any help would be awesome thanks

T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
got a question what egt's are people getting with this motor just put the shims in the needles again had them in the stock setting and raised them .20 with 500mains and seemed to pull harder before i raised them is anyone else saw this as well the only reason I raised the needles was it would try and get hot in the mid range and wide open would be 1150 which i think is good but would see almost that in the mid range but now with the needles raise I'm seeing 780 at wide open and I dont think it's pulling as hard any help would be awesome thanks
Hi madmini I've been playing with mountainhighs 872 he's running the shim .20 ,560 mains mixed 50-50 av we are jetting down to 540 we've been useing a bore scope to check wash ,with 560 we have alot of wash,but doesn't seem to hurt it we have been riding @2500-4000 feet. This weekend were going to 4000-7000 feet so i should have a better idea after this weekend:whoo:

M

madmini660

Nov 6, 2008
lewistown mt
Hi madmini I've been playing with mountainhighs 872 he's running the shim .20 ,560 mains mixed 50-50 av we are jetting down to 540 we've been useing a bore scope to check wash ,with 560 we have alot of wash,but doesn't seem to hurt it we have been riding @2500-4000 feet. This weekend were going to 4000-7000 feet so i should have a better idea after this weekend:whoo:

please let me know what you find out I couldn't find jets in my town had 500mains in and found some 560/540 mains in my jets so put them in ran good at my house but thats 4800ft or so dont know what it will run like at 6500+ were we ride it ran good with 500 mains and no shims in the needles but Dave told me I was to lean for his motor if i was seeing 1150 on my probes so I put 560/540 mains in with the .20 needles shims i hope it runs good thanks

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
Keep up the good test work.lads. I will have my 872 next week and by the sounds of it I will drop it in and ride. It would sure be nice to ride for a change instead of tuning all the time and waiting for parts.

Who knows, may have to break in the new 872 and keep my turbo kit....are you thinkin what I'm thinkin:rockon:

Premium Features