• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

C3 post forward on 11 etec

D
Sep 6, 2011
Calgary
Been toying with the idea of adding this to my 2012 Summit X. Some guys say that it's a bugger and things don't fit well in the end. How long did it take you to do yours? Hours, days??? I realize that you needed to replace your post,but even on the 11's and 12's, doesn't the post need to be removed and reinstalled in the forward position?
Seems like if this mod is so much better than stock, it would have actually been easier to design this into the production XP chassis (not just the RS's).

It shouldn't take you more than a couple hours to perform the installation. There are several different steering posts through the years, which is why some of us were able to retain our stock posts while others(like myself) had to replace it. Some posts will interfere with the chassis crossmember that runs between the shock towers, some won't. The only challenge to removing it is liberating it from the steering tower. Replacing it altogether allows you the entertainment of zip-cutting the old post out to avoid all that fuss. After all, destruction is cool.

The original post location is tailored toward trail riding where the reach would be excessive from a seated position. It's simply cheaper for them to build all the sleds that way because the few of us who it irritates the most will find a way to change it. It's one of those design compromises they made which gives creedance to the cat and polaris guys who say these are trail sleds with long tracks. When you ride a sled with this mod you'll realize how compelling their argument is. Do it.

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
Doesn't the 2010 hill climb edition xp come with the post a inch or two farther forwards? I know it is not as much as the c3 setup. but isn't the trim piece around the steering post opened up farther forwards. Just thinking you could get the trim piece from a hill climb edition and not have to butcher the trim piece up so much.
I got my front end on my 08 off right now installing the s36 kit. I remember reading a post on doo talk about some one drilling the holes that the tie rods mount into closser to the post. I think they did this starting in 2010. mounting the tie rods closer to the post gives less leverage and allows the ski's to be turned with less effort.
I might just try re-drilling the mount holes for the tie rods closer to the post. I would like to do the post forwards mod, but don't want to spend the money and do the work. Of course right now while it is apart and before the good snow gets here is the time to do it.... :face-icon-small-con

M
Nov 13, 2008
C3

08-09-(10?) all need a new post-11-12 you can retain stock post, therefore only a $100 mod! I think it would be worth the extra$ for a Post on earlier sleds, I bet it makes a better overall mod as those sleds need all the help they can get in the steering department.

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
found a good thread with alot of info on dootalk.

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=339543&hl=steering post&st=45

Nobody mentions useing the xrs hillclimb trim panel around the post though. Looks like the xrs sled comes stock with post 2" farther forwards. c3 moves it 3".
I don't have a air box to worry about, but I might get the strait post any ways. If I do it......
I am undecided on how much longer I will have my xp. Trying to decide if I want to get some thing new. So having a hard time spending alot of money on my sled when thinking I might get some thing new. :face-icon-small-con

M

millnoff

Dec 5, 2007
so if you "modify" the post on the 2010's you can run this kit without needing the straight shaft? i love moding things lol.

-jesse

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
We are trying to get the post forward kit mounted up and are having problems. It seems like the airbox won't "mold" unless it's really hot and when we get it hot enough that it will actually move we are burning holes right through it. Damn. Is there a trick to getting it hot but not so hot that holes are burning through it? This is kinda turning into a disaster...

M
Nov 13, 2008
Airbox

I used a heat gun...... Heat for a looooong time, set box I'n place then I stood with one foot on front bumper, put a knee (alot of pressure) on the airbox while holding onto bars and give her the "ol" Alistar Overeem knee to Lesnar! I might have stood on it at some point too:) Think it took a few attempts but finally molded.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Guys at I90 got me sorted out. Installed and ready to ride. Going to test it out today. :face-icon-small-ton

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
chris... had the turbo sled out yesterday, and i have the 10 inch riser as far forward as i can, in the trees last night after riding another with the mod cp3 mod done, it felt much less akward, so i am sold on in

now for the 2011etec, i just need the blocks for relocate, and since it has no airbox, it should fit right in... is that correct, will i need a different brake line

as for the 08 i need a c3post and the relocates, and a brake line, plus some serious heat for the airbox??

M
Nov 13, 2008
C3

C3 said post kit fits with 10" risers but mine at full left/ right turns was too tight. Ordered a longer brakeline from RSI.... alot better fit!!!! It handles nice I'n the trees but our snow is crusty and that 3" is a traction monster so its been hard to get the full feel of it without the POW..... no airbox will fit right in

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Test rode the sled with the C3 post forward kit. This sled is set up for my son who is 6"shorter than me and 50lbs lighter but I am sold. Had the post nearly in line with the bars(for the first time on a Doo) and I like it. The snow was wet, heavy and not very deep so it was a tough day. It seems easier to hold a line. Going downhill on the steeps it turns much better as my whole body is forward and weighting the footwells. Hill climbing I could move way forward and hold the nose down really well. I am going to order the straight post for my other ETEC and install another kit I have on that sled too. Best $90 you can spend on a Doo.

M
Nov 27, 2007
i have had my bars way forward since day 1 on my 11 ,put a set of 6 inch risers on this year ,took a little getting used to but would"nt change back now. the idea of running the riser way back always seemed wrong on a sled that is supposed to be a rider forward chassis. i am somewhat vertically challenged at 5"9 although. another thing that i find amusing is looking at the brp ads ,with the bars way back the mountain strap and bars are very close to the riders stomach , this becomes much more of a issue if you have a more ""mature figure". also the foot wells become useful when you have the bars ahead . just my 2 cents

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
Installed the kit with a 2' higher riser. It took 3 hrs, only because I cut and plastic welded a slot in the air box. I found the lower tie rod holes tight and the circle stop on the bottom rubbed into the aluminum housing. Check your bolts in the holes before assembly. I routed the stock brake line up the middle where the old post went and moved the throttle cable down a hole in the riser. Quality product and great service. Totally better steering, should of been built this way! I also cut the hood to fit the top block.

D

deaner

Nov 26, 2007
Creston, BC
Do I need the different steering post for a 2010 if Im not running the upper airbox? Or is the different post just to clear the airbox?

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Great guys. Most only need the $90 kit and get a couple of hundred dollars of install and set up advice.

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
Not hard to do at at all, didn't even cut the old post. If anyone needs some pointers just Pm me. Took more time to trim the cowling by the gauges. I have pics to help. (will post them )

002.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg 005.jpg 006.jpg 001.jpg

Last edited:
F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
did the post mod on the etec and 08 xp

love the position on the 08, but do not like it on the etec with the small riser, if it does not work better with the long riser i will go back to stock postion on the etec

giddyup

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
deer valley sask.
question on riser after post move

im dooing the post forward mod on my 08 163 this weekend, im 5'9" i am currently running the stock riser inline with the post, after the mod are people going longer now that the post is farther forward or what the thought on this, let me know

thanks
giddyup

Premium Features