• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

PRO-RMK -vs- XP ETEC 800 head to head

Thread Rating
1.00 star(s)

Jetjock

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Buckley, Washington
I have read a number of posts on hp, feel, clutching, power to weight ratios, and chassis performance. The truth will be known when honest folks share their unbiased experiences after going head to head. It seems appropriate to qualify the comparators as follows:

Drag race on the trail/lake -0-60 and 0-80 mph
Top speed
Steep and Deep side by side hill climbs
Average MPG -sleds ridden together and in the same manner for a day
Which sled beeps loudest when in reverse (if you don't even own one you can contribute here!)

Figures don't lie, but liars figure! Let the truth be known! Please share!

I am posting this on the Polaris PRO-RMK site also and am interested in the potential bias of opinions.

Last edited:

racert17

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2008
kelowna bc
You are just stirring the pot on both the Polaris and Ski-Doo threads.

I disagree big time! the poo is a completely new sled and i'm very curious to see how it stacks up to the new etech.

I have a new 2011 146x 800 etech in the garage and i'm still on the fence if i made the right choice.

lets hear from both sides, competition in the end drives all advancements.

WyoPro

Lifetime Membership
Sep 19, 2008
Laramie, WY
I disagree big time! the poo is a completely new sled and i'm very curious to see how it stacks up to the new etech.

I have a new 2011 146x 800 etech in the garage and i'm still on the fence if i made the right choice.

I'd be more worried about how that E-Tec is going to stack up against the Pro...

dheard4992

Premium Member
Oct 28, 2010

Im curious as well and I dont even own an 800.Ive been going back and forth from Doo to Poo and like both.Even though Im a flatland rider Im over here because you mountan guys actually have snow.I hope the new 800 performs well and it seems well documented that the etec puts out good power.How they perform out in the snow really has me wondering though.Someone must be doing some side by sides by now?

T

T Stoke

Nov 28, 2007
Bethlehem, PA
Buddy just bought a new Pro and I just bought an e tec. We are going to go on a trail burner on Saturday. (First ride for both sleds) I'll report back. I'm not gonna lie.. I'm a little worried.. I'll never hear the end of it if we get killed. I think it will be slightly scewed until we are both done with the break in period though. My prediction is that it'll be head to head on the trail. The only thing that really matters is the steep and deep though..

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
I have read a number of posts on hp, feel, clutching, power to weight ratios, and chassis performance. The truth will be known when honest folks share their unbiased experiences after going head to head. It seems appropriate to qualify the comparators as follows:

Drag race on the trail/lake -0-60 and 0-80 mph
Top speed
Steep and Deep side by side hill climbs
Average MPG -sleds ridden together and in the same manner for a day
Which sled beeps loudest when in reverse (if you don't even own one you can contribute here!)

Figures don't lie, but liars figure! Let the truth be known! Please share!

I am posting this on the Polaris PRO-RMK site also and am interested in the potential bias of opinions.

I want a sled that gets around well in the deep snow. handling, weight, and hp.
While it may be cool that it goes fast on the trail/lake or his a high top speed I don't give a **** about that. A short track trail sled would probably beat my turbo xp for top speed. I think a 121 arctic cat thundercat will beat me for top speed. lets see how it does in 5' of fresh powder. It is kind of nice to get a little extra mpg, but I would take a good runing sled over a little extra mpg. Main thing I care about is riding all day and not runing out. I always fill my tank before a ride and carry my extra 2.5. I have never ran out in a day yet no matter what sled I ride. Seem to let alot of people use some gas out of my 2.5 or have to end my day early because some one did not fill up all the way and have extra gas.

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
I think it's pretty funny how defensive people get when they see a result that doesn't work to their particular manufacturer bias.

I'd love to have a chance to line up with a Pro-RMK and see how they compare, no matter the outcome.

S

sonic

Oct 26, 2008
Medicine Hat
my body has a etec he sais it rips going to kill my 860 he says,anyway like to see some comparisions as well of this new etec,and the polaris

N
Nov 26, 2007
Chinook Pass, Wa
I own an XP and really like it. Can't find any major faults with it except the belt eating issue, but I've got that staightened out. I rode the new Polaris in the spring and here is what I think. It feels very light and nible. I really liked the suspension, with the Walker shocks, the ride is smooth and it handles the big hits well. I dropped off a couple cornices about 10 ft. and it soaked them up nicely. It did feel under powered to me, it climbed well and sidehilled very nice, but again light on the power, and the steering was very strange. You had to turn the bars almost all the way to the stop just to get it to turn. Minor issues really. The only other thing I didn't like about it was the foot wells, just couldnt' get your feet far enough forward to be comfortable. Other than those minor issues, I liked the sled compared to the xp. I think Polaris has done a better job of building a true mtn sled without all the extra stuff, like plastics, hoses etc. cluttering up the engine compartment. Overall, I liked it, thought is was a very good sled. Once the aftermarket guys get some power for them, watch out. Just my two cents.

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana
You are just stirring the pot on both the Polaris and Ski-Doo threads.

Why is this the common comment on a Poo from the Poo-Poo club? I need the muff pot stirred or it will burn.

If the Poo had 190 HP that is all we would hear. I have the privilege to ride with two turbo and two new PROs this year. We will see how the PRO runs with a 5 year old M7. Last year the M7 kept up with the 800 dragon. The dragon had me by 20-30' on a good climb. We all can't wait.

Jetjock

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Buckley, Washington
BugIto is wrong!!! I want to know!!!

BugIto,

I would have snow-checked a 2011 Pro-Ride 800 this year, after a number of reliabilty issues with my 2009 XP 800, if my dealer and Skidoo wouldn't have come through and taken the sled in for more than it was worth and thrown some warranty $ at my new 2011 ETEC. I don't care who builds it, if its a good sled I'll ride it! I am interested in how they stack up off the dyno and on the snow! Maybe I'll buy a 2012 Pro-Ride 800 next year (results pending of course.) -Insert smiley face here-

PS -how do you put one of those stupid smiley faces at the end of your post?

R

redbull660

Dec 1, 2007
Montana
I have them both, about 3 years ago I bought a new 2011 polaris snow pro and a 2011 summit etec. I have been riding both at the same time since, wow its hard but I can do it. The snow pro handles better on the right hand turns and the etec hndles better on the left hand turns. The only difference I found was that the other sled would side hill better than the other one, just cant remember which one!!!!!!

Give me a minute and I will get it all figured out. I definatly know that the snow pro went way better in the steep and deep but in the high altitude with the snow going over the windshield the etec was better.
Now when it comes to eating belts the snow pro was way better it didnt eat any, I kind of think its because I didnt feed it any. Warning to etec owners, dont feed your sled belts, they cost money.

Now, from my profectional point of view. If ya want to know the difference between the two sleds just go and buy one of each. Its really not that expensive, Heck its only money.

Now to the performace mods, I did a test on both sleds. NITRO METHANE INJECTION, yep you guessed it, pooping in the air box. Its really simple, Grab a bowl of chili the night before the ride and hang on.

USER ALTERT, Dont try this at home, do it at the lodge, the lodge has insurance that more than likley will cover unexpected disasters. Take the air box off, lower your pants and push like a mofo. The sno pro has a very broad spectrum on improvemets so it will eat this mod up like no other. On the other hand the etec will reject the mod and simply throw it down the mountain to be re-gurgetated by the sno pro, then the process starts all over again. Its been a long time in the testing proccess but we finally have in narrowed down.

I NEED ANOTHER BEER :focus::banplease:

HENCE, Long live the etec.

R

redbull660

Dec 1, 2007
Montana
Sure hope I didnt insult anyone. But its been a long summer and there doesnt seem to be much humor around here. LET THERE BE SNOW!:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
we went ditch banging today, just got in a few hrs ago
two etecs brandnew, one 2010 xp 154 and one brandnew polaris pro

just ran the ditches for 66miles and put threw a tank of fuel, 2010xp and pro were close, but xp was faster, as for the etecs, they made the xp look bad.... what a motor, not even comparable in flat out races...-18c outside

S
Jul 28, 2008
Logan utah
last weekend in wyoming ran into a new cat and polaris and doo and they all were pretty even stayed even on the flats we didnt get them on a hill but its who ever got the hole shot wone and my 07 800 R was a sled lanth behind the new ones not bad i guess or a 07

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
BugIto,

I would have snow-checked a 2011 Pro-Ride 800 this year, after a number of reliabilty issues with my 2009 XP 800, if my dealer and Skidoo wouldn't have come through and taken the sled in for more than it was worth and thrown some warranty $ at my new 2011 ETEC. I don't care who builds it, if its a good sled I'll ride it! I am interested in how they stack up off the dyno and on the snow! Maybe I'll buy a 2012 Pro-Ride 800 next year (results pending of course.) -Insert smiley face here-

PS -how do you put one of those stupid smiley faces at the end of your post?

It just doesn't make sense to compare like this on paper. Compare dyno numbers and then ask for "non-biased" information from actual owners. That's like fcking for viginity. Beyond that, the details are so vague...

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
sure not what we seen last night, the poo was a pecie of poop...;o;

last weekend in wyoming ran into a new cat and polaris and doo and they all were pretty even stayed even on the flats we didnt get them on a hill but its who ever got the hole shot wone and my 07 800 R was a sled lanth behind the new ones not bad i guess or a 07

snoblind04

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Western Wyoming
I've got about 100 miles on my new 11 xp and ride with and a new 800 pro. these 2 sleds are really close in my opinion. It just comes down to rider preference. On the hill pulling and down the road they're so close you really can't tell the difference.

Gas mileage and oil usage are close so far also. so pick your poison.

My xp has run great out of the box and may run a little better once I hit the break in point but it I can tell it will not be anything to make it that much better.

Premium Features