• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

10 xp works awesome compared to the 09

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I purchesed a 10 this year and am comeing off a 01 rmk 800 and wouldnt go back right now if i was paid. It is a fun sled. The only thing I was wondering about is like someone said the cluch was really hot after my last little ride and was wondering what i should do about that. I havent put a ven kit in or nothing on that side. Dont have alot of extra money to throw at it right now either is there any cheep ways of getting it to cool better?

Short of going with good clutching ;)....make SURE you take the time to adjust the clickers to run 8100RPM under a load, too high or too low will make more heat. Venting helps a little, also removing the plastic shroud from the belt guard to get more air movement around the clutches with the venting, don't run the track too tight.:beer;

travydog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Tulare south dakota
thanks for the info on the cluch issue. I know im running a little low on my rpms, the only way to figure it out is to just run it at wot dow a streach right? Or how do you check it? I am new to all this im used to the old poaris clutch weights. hat clutch kit or whatever do you guys recomend and how much will it cost and what does it all entail. I konw nothing about the cluching and stuff on these new sleds.

L

lightening800

Sep 4, 2004
northern alberta
thanks for the info on the cluch issue. I know im running a little low on my rpms, the only way to figure it out is to just run it at wot dow a streach right? Or how do you check it? I am new to all this im used to the old poaris clutch weights. hat clutch kit or whatever do you guys recomend and how much will it cost and what does it all entail. I konw nothing about the cluching and stuff on these new sleds.

do a search on here or start your own thread on this.thanks

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Lightning, did you try the rear springs softer or did you find you needed to be on 5 to keep from bottoming? Just curious because we only have the first ride on the '10 but had it set on #1 and about 220lbs geared up and it seemed close....little soft but close, might bump it up a little.
I know I will be getting the '10 upgrade for my '08, just need to figure out the 163 rail thing. :beer;

L

lightening800

Sep 4, 2004
northern alberta
Lightning, did you try the rear springs softer or did you find you needed to be on 5 to keep from bottoming? Just curious because we only have the first ride on the '10 but had it set on #1 and about 220lbs geared up and it seemed close....little soft but close, might bump it up a little.
I know I will be getting the '10 upgrade for my '08, just need to figure out the 163 rail thing. :beer;

you know what i didnt try it softer, i think i could have but i had fuel and a bag full of crap and it really didnt feel bad on hard. I will try different settings the next time i go out even with the front spring an limiter may be better somewhere else too. I left it as the dealer had it set up because i was just happy i could actually ride the thing compared to my other years.The dealer here in edmonton did this to his 09 demo 163, now i dont know what he did but it is for sale in the showroom and is advertised with the 10 suspension upgrades, maybe give them a call and ask them. ask for a guy named jerry holte in service dept 780-481-4000 martin equipment.

C
Wonder why they dont have a 163 kit out? One would think a guy could simply look at the parts fiche and order the pieces off the 2010 163.......I suppose that would be pricey though eh?

Great thread by the way Lightening!! I was almost second guessing buying the updated skid. After reading through this I cant believe I let it just sit in the parts dept for the last month!

X

Xrider

Jul 9, 2001
Montana
You guys are killin me here about this '10 upgrade thing. Sounds good but I had my 09 out Sunday for the first time this year and I still don't get the handling thing everyone complains about, had a huge smile all day, love the sled. First ride on DJ's clutch kit and HPS can also, WOW!! I'd also like to hear how the 10 and 09 compare side by side in a deep climb.

F
Nov 30, 2007
Sexsmith, AB
I would Love to know What's Changed???.
Is it just the shocks and springs?
I checked the 2009 to the 2010 parts catalog, and the front arm assembly in the rear skid is the same # for both years. The Rails and shock/springs ARE different.

Are you folks comparing rear suspension or is the front suspension the big improvement?. I see there is talk that the sway bar is different, is that a big improvement?.

Thanks in Advance

J

joshua335

Nov 26, 2007
Calgary, AB
yes i was i was in goats bowl rippin up the hill on the right for a bit. it would climb it right at those trees no problem, i was there with my wife and my 9yr old boy.

Yah there was a bunch of 2010 bronze sleds like yours out there, but I saw you with your son a older cat and wife on a dragon. I was just wondering as there was a sled like yours rippin up the hill right beside me, I thought you might have been the sled on my helmet cam video. :D

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
you know what i didnt try it softer, i think i could have but i had fuel and a bag full of crap and it really didnt feel bad on hard. I will try different settings the next time i go out even with the front spring an limiter may be better somewhere else too. I left it as the dealer had it set up because i was just happy i could actually ride the thing compared to my other years.The dealer here in edmonton did this to his 09 demo 163, now i dont know what he did but it is for sale in the showroom and is advertised with the 10 suspension upgrades, maybe give them a call and ask them. ask for a guy named jerry holte in service dept 780-481-4000 martin equipment.

Ill call and see what they did. I called Mr R's and they said the revalved shock wasnt stiff enought to handle the 163 when they did the conversion. Ill post what Martins has to say. sj

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
I checked the 2009 to the 2010 parts catalog, and the front arm assembly in the rear skid is the same # for both years. The Rails and shock/springs ARE different.

Are you folks comparing rear suspension or is the front suspension the big improvement?. I see there is talk that the sway bar is different, is that a big improvement?.

Thanks in Advance
2010 changes are steering post, swaybar, shock calibration, longer front shock in the rear suspension, I think a longer torque arm in the rear suspension making the front mounting position different i could be mistaken, and different rails

C

Thanks in Advance

I will take some photos tomorrow as I'm knee deep in installing the 2010 rear skid kit in my 09....

The limiter strap is longer and the rear shock is longer as well. So the approach angle of the track is different.

Once I get the rails stripped down I'll snap a photo of the differences.

S
Nov 14, 2008
calgary
just off-topic here....anyone buying new XP's..check your clutches! my new 2010 xp has some kind of residue on the clutch faces from the factory!wiping it with a paper towel would turn it black! i know this was a problem when the 08's arrived! would be a good idea to inspect clutch faces..and wash em with soap and water if needed..including belt!
i thought dealers were suppose to clean these parts!

This season we have made it manditiory for our techs to clean/scuff the clutches during pdi, it makes very happy customers.:)
It may take a bit longer to get the sled out for the customer, but is is so worth it.

Last edited:
C
Oct 3, 2008
Bend Oregon
I would like to keep a sway bar if possible. Could I just get the 2010 sway bar and swap it into my 09? Also, you guys talk about rear shock with number values? Does the center shock have a number value? I think after removing my swaybar my center shock is way to tight causing it to be harder to turn and making it dive. I will try to loosen it.

I am jealous that I just got an 09 and have no money for all the great changes that are coming out.

CRAP

S
Nov 14, 2008
calgary
I have been lucky enogh to have an 08. 09 and 2010( I work at a dealer and get a new demo every year), the newest sled is killer, I'm able to do downhill 180" "chit hooks" that blow my mind and left my riding buddies with their jaws on their feet. This 2010 climbs great and handels amazing, just wait till season, now that they have the chassis dialed, I wont spill the beans but 800 e-tec is on its way. :D:D:D:D

F
Nov 30, 2007
Sexsmith, AB
I have been lucky enogh to have an 08. 09 and 2010( I work at a dealer and get a new demo every year), the newest sled is killer, I'm able to do downhill 180" "chit hooks" that blow my mind and left my riding buddies with their jaws on their feet. This 2010 climbs great and handels amazing, just wait till season, now that they have the chassis dialed, I wont spill the beans but 800 e-tec is on its way. :D:D:D:D

Thats AWESOME that you can pull the down hill 180's... What in your mind is the biggest improvement that allows you to perform this skill? Is it the steering post mods/position? or is it the shock/Suspension setup?.

If the stars align I can pull the same move on the old 08, however it would be nice to do it with less effort.

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
Im not reall revved about a 800 etec... maybe a 950 etec:D. I guess if the 800 made 160 hp and the overall sled was refined a lot id be interested:eek:

S
Nov 14, 2008
calgary
Thats AWESOME that you can pull the down hill 180's... What in your mind is the biggest improvement that allows you to perform this skill? Is it the steering post mods/position? or is it the shock/Suspension setup?.

If the stars align I can pull the same move on the old 08, however it would be nice to do it with less effort.

it's has alot to do with just commiting with the power on, a nice clutch kit helps you put the power to the snow smoother, so you can use the right blend of finess and strength to get the sled over and keep it there a full 180' back uphill.
Although some people who are far better riders than me say not to use taller bar's, this year I'm running a 8 inch riser and a set of motocross handlebars which raise my hands almost 3 inches.I have my risers in what I'd say is an average angle, not too far forward, not too far back. I'm 6'2 and 200 pounds, so the extra room lets me move around more and use leverage to my advantage. I have also removed my saw bar and run # 3 on my front shocks, on the rear I run # 4, and I have had to take my limiter strap in 2 holes because after 300 miles was just hanging there(sagging), I do not know what to think about that, as new ones on my showroom look tight ?

demo photo 003.jpg demo photo 004.jpg

Premium Features