• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Check out this BS

Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
I put the sled up on the lift today because cause I noticed the track was a bit loose and look what I found.

zxphk6.jpg

v82zwk.jpg

x3vcc3.jpg

If you look close you can see that the track tensioning bolt broke and caused this damage. I also have both of the bearings out on the two smaller inner idler wheels. This is a 2010 M8 with only 800 miles on it. I have the parts kicking around to fix it but that damage to the rail really sucks. Do you guys think Cat will warranty this??

Also...I don't know if I'm hung over or what but it looks to me like the bearings can't be replaced on the wheels? No snap ring!! Maybe I'm blind???

M

mhanson

Dec 12, 2009
i'd say that happened because you didn't have the axle bolts tight. The tightener bolts aren't supposed to hold the whole load. They set the axle where you want and then you tighten the axle bolts and that is what would hold any additional loads or shocks to the rear axle.

something to always check daily......

Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
I just bought this sled at the end of Dec and I haven't pulled the skid out or messed with the sled at all yet so I'm not taking the blame for this. But you may be right?

M

mhanson

Dec 12, 2009
i have noticed my small bogie wheel brgs are bad as well, that was at about 900 miles on my 2010 m8 too. at 1200 miles now they feel the same so just gonna keep driving them

i'd say that rail is still useable. worst case have someone weld up the worn area and grind it smooth again. Get a new washer and put red locktite behind it might be enough to hold it..... worth a shot if they won't warranty it.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
I am amazed at what we expect from these machines. I mean, I raced motocross for many years and My race bikes were pulled apart EVERY week and inspected. I know for a fact many people buy a sled and never even look at it. Just ride it till something breaks and then wonder why. Really it is amazing that these machines put out the performance that they do with out any regular maintenance. Not saying it is anybody's fault, just saying, take some time every other week or so and check out your equipment. Take a hour and check every nut and bolt on the thing. Look for wear and tear where it shouldn't be, check belts and clutches. Clean and lube moving parts. This will give you many things. 1st you will know for a fact that things are working right.
2nd you will learn many things about how your sled is put together and how it works. So when something does go bad in the back country you will have a better idea of what it is and how to fix it.

Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
I hear ya, but I know what I'm doing. Just look back at some of my past posts and you might agree?? When I buy a new sled it will never see a dealers shop while I own it. I'm not getting in a shouting match with you, I just wanted to make that clear.

If the rail had no damage I would just smile and laugh at the broken bolt, I happen to have two of them in my tool box along with spare bearings but I can't even change the bearings???

Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
So no need to wonder about warranty then....:face-icon-small-con

I do the work, but get the parts for free!(warranty) That's why my dealer loves me...I do the the work and he gets paid for it.

BTW...the the track tensioning bolt on the other side is also broke...never seen this before and I do ZERO jumping, in fact this sled has seen mostly trail riding this year do to a lack of snow in the "UP".

R

RCR3

Nov 14, 2009
Lava Hot Springs, ID
I put the sled up on the lift today because cause I noticed the track was a bit loose and look what I found.

zxphk6.jpg

v82zwk.jpg

x3vcc3.jpg

If you look close you can see that the track tensioning bolt broke and caused this damage. I also have both of the bearings out on the two smaller inner idler wheels. This is a 2010 M8 with only 800 miles on it. I have the parts kicking around to fix it but that damage to the rail really sucks. Do you guys think Cat will warranty this??

Also...I don't know if I'm hung over or what but it looks to me like the bearings can't be replaced on the wheels? No snap ring!! Maybe I'm blind???

By the looks of things your washer on he outside of the rail was loose and wore a circle in the rail by Spinning!:D

Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
Rail on the other side is also worn the same amount...weird. I'm thinking the rear axles bolts were not tight from day one (new sled) and the tensioner bolts were doing all the work until they failed? I guess if this is my fault, as most of you seem to feel, then I'll deal with it.

The track wasn't ratcheting as is so I'll just replace the broken parts and adjust the track so the washers sit in these grooves and run it the rest of the year until I have time to fix it right.

BTW...My dealer did not sell me this sled. He has no market for MT sleds. I bought it as a left over from a dealer up north.

fasta76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2008
Lumby,BC
The bearings should be replaceable!! Ive done them from 07-09 without a problem. Might just need a little pick to find the snap-ring.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
I hear ya, but I know what I'm doing. Just look back at some of my past posts and you might agree?? When I buy a new sled it will never see a dealers shop while I own it. I'm not getting in a shouting match with you, I just wanted to make that clear.

If the rail had no damage I would just smile and laugh at the broken bolt, I happen to have two of them in my tool box along with spare bearings but I can't even change the bearings???

Hey, I am in no way saying you don't know what you are doing or blaming you for the damage. I am just stating a simple observation from many post on this forum. I see a lot of damage that could have been avoided with some simple preventive maintenance. And believe me, I have left stuff loose after working on my sled and messing stuff up my self. I agree, It looks like that axle was never tight from the factory. Or, the bearings seized on the rear axle and started spinning the whole assembly. That is what it looks like to me. I would guess if those bolts were loose from teh factory they wouldn't have lasted 800 miles. It would be BS if cat wouldn't fix this for you under warranty.

Last edited:
E
Oct 21, 2008
flat lander MN
well I got my first full size sled in 1976 and every hr on the sled ment at lest 1/2 going over stuff .people no longer think maintnance like going over every bolt and nut in the skid at least 1 time a mo is required but guess what pounding ruted trails jumping slaming off rocks all when motor is vibrating at 8g will losen stuff up with locktight.riding sleds is mor than adding gas and oil at least 1hr shop time for every 10hr of pounding

Last edited:
M

mhanson

Dec 12, 2009
OK Is the circle groove supposed to be there I understand the slide adjustment part but not the circle around it:lol:

anybody can look at that washer and see it wasn't spinning. it was loose vibrating. there is a groove on that washer the same size (or close too) as the slot in the rail.... also there would be circular wear marks in the rail from all that spinning...

so NO SPINNING:cheer2::first:

M

mhanson

Dec 12, 2009
that washer wasn't probably even loose on the axle. it looks as if it was tightened to the axle, perhaps the bolt on the other side was loose and the whole axle slid over and gave this side the wiggle room to make that mark in the rail. for some reason that whole assembly wasn't clamping the rails correctly, whether it was loose bolt or missing parts to space it correctly.

S

snowhound82

Jan 22, 2009
Arlee, mt
By the looks of things your washer on he outside of the rail was loose and wore a circle in the rail by Spinning!:D
I would have to agree with this 100%. Either it was caused by spinning slightly or vibration.

Last edited:

w2bridin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2008
nd
hey

My 2010 m8 looked just like yours a month ago with 1500 miles. 2 broken tension bolts and a ring ground in the rail from the washer. I did replace the 2 bolts and the bearings in both back wheels while I had it apart. I would take another look at the wheel bearings as mine were replaceable. O and my axle bolts were tight not sure what I should do different to stop the wearing of the rail?

S

snowhound82

Jan 22, 2009
Arlee, mt
A Thought?

My money says, if the dealer saw these pictures, the first thing they would assume is that your jumping the crap out of this sled and landing on one wheel. I know I jumped and landed once and the end result was a bent adjustment bolt and messed up axle. But needless to say, sorry dude, that sucks.

Premium Features