• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Will The Pro RMK Rear Skid Fit In the IQ

S
Feb 26, 2008
Looking at putting either the 155 pro skid or the assault skid in to my 155 08 IQ. But will it bolt right up or need some modifications to fit

Thanks for the help

J

jim9006

Sep 7, 2008
Cle Elum WA
home.comcast.net
I spoke to the boy'z at TimerSled at the show last Saturday about buying the mtn tamer for my '09 and being able to bolt it up to a 2011 if I bought one. the reply I got was it's not a direct bolt on. The front arm on the 2011 was longer. He did say they may offer an upgrade in the future to do this though.

V

Vfrtrader

Aug 25, 2009
Cache Valley, UT
I asked that question to the Polaris boys at Yellowstone last March, they said the mounting brackets in the tunnel are different. It's possible but not a direct bolt in.

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
it isn't a bolt in deal...your mounting bracket positions are in different locations..the geometry of the suspension is different then your raw..you would have to first know the position to move the suspension mounting brackets into...then do all the work..then hope it works. Which if experience holds true you'll possibly get it on your forth or fifth try but there will be sacrefices. (been there done that..over and over)

Having custom built and installed multiple suspensions plus dealt extensively with the HOLZ suspensions with infinate combos of shocks and springs please KNOW this...every little change of angle or pressure (up or down coming or going) has a reaction on how your suspension works. Little changes on one aspect have massive reactions on others. It is not simple and requires incredible work and experience to dial in an excellent all around suspension. WHY on earth would you?

For a couple grand you can buy a proven and awesome HOLZ ALPHA-X for the raw chassis plus you get awesome shocks. (if you listen I just saved you a ton of heart ache probably a big pile of money as well)

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I imagine the posted question would be relating to picking up a Pro rear skid setup from someone that plans to upgrade and sell off the Pro parts. I think it is a viable question as these could be tempting parts if they could be adapted.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I imagine the posted question would be relating to picking up a Pro rear skid setup from someone that plans to upgrade and sell off the Pro parts. I think it is a viable question as these could be tempting parts if they could be adapted.

Agreed. I think if you can find one for a decent price. For the most part, OEM suspensions typically have very little value. Hell, I still have a 2005 REV, Summit-X rear scissor. I never got an offer I liked so I kept it in case I ever did major damage to the Holz I had on there. I loved the Holz setup and would do another but on the Pro, it appears that they copied the Holz setup. So if you could get the PRO rear suspension and then maybe drill a new hole on the IQ and be setup? Why not.

Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't but it could be worth a shot.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com

Here is what I've found after looking into it.

I talked with Holz about this today as I'm going to be moving one of their Alpha X skids from a friends 2010 155" Dragon to his new PRO-RMK. (the other direction)

My buddy Mike spent good money to get the HRP A-X suspension for his 2010 sled and did not want to give up on the EVOL-X capabilities... and since there are no plans from HRP/Carls (according to HRP) to offer the EVOL-X for the aftermarket as a rear-track shock upgrade for the new Pro RMK he decided he wanted to put the A-X into his PRO because he really liked having the compression adjustment and DSC controls of the X shock.

Also, at this point, HRP does not have an Alpha-X kit for the new sizes of the PRO-RMK shafts etc that would come from the Pro skid... they may offer a hardware kit to make it a bolt in deal though as that is an excellent skid with an Excellent shock and would be an upgrade from the stock PRO suspension.

According to our conversation it will swap over with minimal efforts.

I took the measurements off a show sled with a Starrett tape which confirmed the conversation with HRP. The distance on the RAW and PRO from the front drive shaft to the front swing arm mount in the tunnel are the same. The distance between the front bolt and the rear drop bracket is the same (maybe 0.010" off).

That will not be exactly a bolt in deal, but pretty darn close as all we are talking about is changing fastener sizes.

I'll have to take the cross shafts for the suspension mounting in the tunnel that were installed in his 2010 dragon, drill them for larger 10mm thread-serts for the 4 10mm bolts to bolt the suspension into the PRO RMK tunnel factory bolt hole locations.

NOW..on in the other direction... Putting a PRO-RMK skid into a RAW chassis.

Again, you have to deal with the bolt size difference as the 10mm is just slightly bigger...
Two methods,
1) Drill out the holes in the tunnel and drop bracket for the slightly larger 10mm bolts (which would make them sloppy fit if you decided to go back to the stock Dragon/RMK skid)
2) Drill and install 3/8" NC thread serts into the Pro RMK cross shafts.

If it were me, I'd just drill the holes and then I could Time-sert the stock skid to the 10mm size if I needed to go back to that stock skid in the Dragon.

At that point, it would bolt into the factory skid locations on your tunnel.

Pretty straight fwd, close, but not exactly bolt in.

Also HRP has an excellent revalving program for the Walker Evans shocks on the PRO Skid so you could get it dialed in for your rider weight and style... Bigger springs for the FTS and RTS are available from Polaris, RCS (titanium and Cromo) if you are a big boy or on the light side.

ALL this being said... I have not personally installed or swapped these skids yet.

Last edited:
R

racerjb

Nov 26, 2007
Portland, OR
www.cobemotorsports.com
Thanks for the info mountainhorse.

So how much do guys think a take off Pro RMK 155 skid is worth? I plan on riding mine stock for a short while then put my Timbersled on.

Just curious, as I might consider selling my stock Pro skid.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Question:

Would someone with fabrication skills be able to machine two new cross shafts for the suspension mounts?

Match the OD of the IQ shaft, but with the 10mm bolt ends, or the OD of the Pro shaft, with the 3/8" bolt ends to fit into the IQ.

This way, you wouldn't have to hog out any holes, or modify the threads in the end of a shaft if you ever wanted to swap back.

I imagine this could make this swap a more "bolt-in" application if the mounting holes are close enough to use.

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Question:

Would someone with fabrication skills be able to machine two new cross shafts for the suspension mounts?

Match the OD of the IQ shaft, but with the 10mm bolt ends, or the OD of the Pro shaft, with the 3/8" bolt ends to fit into the IQ.

This way, you wouldn't have to hog out any holes, or modify the threads in the end of a shaft if you ever wanted to swap back.

I imagine this could make this swap a more "bolt-in" application if the mounting holes are close enough to use.

I really doubt it is worth it.

The difference between 3/8" and 10 mm is like 0.0187"

So not even 2-one hundreths of an inch.

10mm = 0.3937"
3/8" = 0.375

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Maybe my first question should have been:

Is the outside diameter of the cross shafts the same for the Pro and the IQ?

If so, then get the appropriate shaft, or use what you have so the appropriate bolts will work. I am always leery about hogging out bolt holes unless it is a PERMANENT fixture. The way it sounds, these skids may be pulled and replaced down the road if they are that good, so I know for myself, I would like to keep the factory holes intact.

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Have u ever had a 3/8 Wrench fit on a 10mm Bolt!!!

IT WILL NOT FIT!

lol

You are right, but you are talking head size not bolt size. :face-icon-small-win

I am saying I bet there is enough play, slack or manufacturing tolerances that that 10mm bolt will fit the 3/8 hole, for there is VERY little difference between the two.

P
Dec 5, 2009
Hood
Just seeing if anyone has done the pro skid in an iq yet? According to mountainhorse's measurements, it should work. Want to make sure before getting a skid.

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
Some one sell me a pro-skid ! l'll have this done in a couple hours with pics. No need to make rocket science. Either drill the holes for the 10mm bolts or buy new cross shafts and drill / tap them. EZ.

Dialing it in make take a little while but that is part of the fun. There is a big price spread now between a 2010 Raw chassis and a 2011 or 2012 pro chassis. I can see why someone would want to take this route. You could put together a great "raw" machine without breaking the bank.

Who has a skid for sale?

Premium Features