• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

I have been quiet, but NOW YOU HAVE CROSSED THE LINE!!!

Marty UT

Stirring the pot
Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Utah
Well, I'm gonna post this here since it will probably be moved here anyway.

**Takes a deep breath**

When this site changed to a pay site a couple weeks ago, I made a few comments and quietly "bowed out." Since then I have more or less become a lurker, handing out "Thanks" and "Rep" where I felt it was needed.

As of right now, I have a couple of issues.

Issue #1:

When I quit posting on 2/12/10, my post count was at 299. As of right now, 2/27/10, my posts are at 344 (345 after I post this). So, I would like to know why my post count is being fraudulently raised. I may be totally wrong here, but I would think the post count would be something that advertisers would look at when choosing to advertise on this site. Now, like I said, I could be totally wrong here, BUT, if this is indeed something they look at, then they also might be interested in knowing that the post counts are being artificially raised. I have also heard from a few others that their post counts have gone up as well. I know that's all heresay, but i'm just sayin........... Regardless of how you look at it, it's not right!

Issue #2

This is an issue I have a HUGE problem with.

I noticed last week that one of the moderators, took it upon themselves to "modify" my reputation rating. My reputation points are now at zero, and my rep is red!! I know my rep was green and I had quite a pile of rep points the day before. So this REALLY PISSES ME OFF!!!! This is where you crossed the line!!! My reputation rating was earned from members who found my posts useful/entertaining/etc. As far as I know (don't know if there is any way to check this), I was never given any red rep. So, for a moderator to go in and fraudulently change my rep to red, IMO I would consider that some form of Defamation of Character.

def·a·ma·tion   /ˌdɛfəˈmeɪʃən/ Show Spelled[def-uh-mey-shuhn] Show IPA
–noun
the act of defaming; false or unjustified injury of the good reputation of another, as by slander or libel; calumny:

Ok, it has come to my attention that what I originally thought about Issue #2 is in fact NOT TRUE. My apologies to the moderators for the false accusations! I have now learned a little more about how the rep system works. Turns out the cause was most likely another member (who happens to be a paid member) with high rep power that thinks beause I have not "paid to play" that I deserve a red rep. Nice!! Real nice!! Glad we have such upstanding members like this helping to make SnoWest such a wonderful place to be! :face-icon-small-dis

I know there has been lots of complaints since this site went to "pay to play," so I don't know if this one will make any difference, but I think the mods/admins need to start taking a more serious look at some of these complaints instead of reposting the same general response and then throwing the complaint over in the pile in the corner with all the others. I have agreed, and I have disagreed, with posts from all sides whether they be from Mods/Admin/Paid Members/Non-Paid Members. There have been good and bad arguements from all sides, regardless of the "status."

I have never been 100% against paying. It's never been about the money as much as it was about the way the change was made, and what was changed. My intention was to sit back and keep an eye on the site for a while to see if it looked like it was going to succeed, or fail. Don't want to pay for 3 years and have site disappear after 6 months. Not saying that it will or won't, just saying that before I put up any money, I want to be sure I'm not throwing it away.

Ok, I guess i've said my piece, and hopefully made a point. It would be nice to get some response from the Mods/Admins on these issues, but I'm not sure I want to hold my breath on that one.

Thank you for taking the time to read my concerns.

Respectfully,
Marty (SummitX1000)

Last edited:

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I havent noticed my stats changing, but I do click on new post constantly, and I have noticed over the last few months that certain threads keep coming up as a new post and have the same last post even after a week or two...(same post new current day/time stamp)the one I noticed the most was on a polaris poll and for about 2 weeks it popped up almost daily with the same last post but new day/time stamps...there has been dozens of threads I have seen this on..I just figured it was a glitch in the programming..but it may be related to what is happening to you...hmm..this post of mine just did it..lol
Poll: For Everyone with an 08-10 D8 Please Read
RileyLHampton - 02-16-2010 02-27-2010 01:52 PM
by AKSNOWRIDER 24 2,178 Polaris: IQ

I posted this post this morning..not at 1:52 pm...

Last edited:
P
Dec 7, 2007
Mill Creek, WA
I don't have any concrete data to show that my post count had been raised. But, I do remember noticing a couple weeks ago, that it was quite a bit higher than I remember. Do they count the 'thanks' as a post?

If someone modified your 'rep' bars by using their moderator privileges, that would be pretty low.

I hope your concerns receive their proper attention, and if errors were made, that they are corrected.

PE

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
here is the origanal post from this morning ....

Forum: Polaris: IQ 02-27-2010, 09:39 AM
Replies: 24 Poll: For Everyone with an 08-10 D8 Please Read
Views: 2,178 Posted By AKSNOWRIDER
Umm...just so you know..polaris doesnt determine...

Umm...just so you know..polaris doesnt determine the fuel mapping on these sleds..the EPA does at certain check points...if it isnt lean enough to pass the test..it cant be sold in the...

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
Here's what I know. Summitx1000, I checked out your rep, and no admin/mod has touched it. ONLY members have given you rep of any kind.

AK.....what you noticed with the Polaris Poll thread, is normal. We had previously wondered about this, so started watching it awhile back. What happens on poll threads, is that anytime someone new votes on it, whether or not they post, it brings the poll thread back up as that makes it active from the new vote. I see the correct time on your post when I view the thread you reference.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Here's what I know. Summitx1000, I checked out your rep, and no admin/mod has touched it. ONLY members have given you rep of any kind.

AK.....what you noticed with the Polaris Poll thread, is normal. We had previously wondered about this, so started watching it awhile back. What happens on poll threads, is that anytime someone new votes on it, whether or not they post, it brings the poll thread back up as that makes it active from the new vote. I see the correct time on your post when I view the thread you reference.

thanks for the info..I thought I had seen it happen on non-poll threads as well..but not sure..will pay more attention in the future..thanks...mike

Marty UT

Stirring the pot
Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Utah

Ok, I checked under the User CP as suggested by Mag, and the only thing I found was ONE red rep:

02-23-2010 10:03 AM togwotee9 pay up

I'm really holding back right now, cause if I typed what I wanna type right now I would most certainly get banned.

So, my question here is how can ONE red rep completely wipe out my rep points and give me that many red bars!? :mad2:

AND is that fair for someone (A "paid" member) to go around handing out red because they think someone should pay!?? You don't see me running over to all the paid members pages handing out reds cause I don't agree that they paid do you? :mad2:

AND WHY THE HELL IS MY ABILITY TO HAND OUT RED MIA!!!!!? :mad2::mad2::mad2:

Ok, i'm gonna stop now before I lose control of my fingers!

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
did this thread turn to be about rep?

basic members can't give out red rep.

as for turning red for one person, maybe he has enough to make you red?

Marty UT

Stirring the pot
Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Utah
did this thread turn to be about rep?

basic members can't give out red rep.

as for turning red for one person, maybe he has enough to make you red?

Enough what?

And to answer your other question, No. There were 2 issues I had, and rep happened to be my biggest issue because of what I thought had happened based on a series of events. I now understand that what I thought had happened with my rep points, may not actually be the case. My apologies to the moderators if my accusation was wrong. :beer;

There is still the issue of my posts unexplainably rising. Just trying to keep everyone honest.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Ok, I checked under the User CP as suggested by Mag, and the only thing I found was ONE red rep:

That is certainly possible that that could happen. The rep system goes up to some pretty big numbers, so if the user in question has enough points to make a major 'hit', then 1 red rep from a heavy hitter could do it.

I don't know what exactly the rep bars max out at, but I hope that helps:beer;

As to the other question about the posts coming up at odd times, that was brought up between the mods a while back as we thought it might be a system glitch of some sort... after about 3 weeks of head-scratching, we noticed that every thread that was in question was a poll thread and it was updating in the way that Catwoman described.

P.S. Some more green rep for you;)

Last edited:

Marty UT

Stirring the pot
Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Utah
That is certainly possible that that could happen. The rep system goes up to some pretty big numbers, so if the user in question has enough points to make a major 'hit', then 1 red rep from a heavy hitter could do it.

As to the other question about the posts coming up at odd times, that was brought up between the mods a while back as we thought it might be a system glitch of some sort... after about 3 weeks of head-scratching, we noticed that every thread that was in question was a poll thread and it was updating in the way that Catwoman described.

Thank you for your help!

So let me get this straight. Depending on how many rep points a particular user has, that determines how heavily their rating weighs on the person they are rating?

Also, back to the post problem. My problem hasn't necessarily been particular posts coming back up to the top. My problem was with my post count actually rising when I wasn't posting anything.

Thanks again!

I'd slap ya with some green to return the favor, but it's telling me i've given out too much reputation today.

deboer

Lifetime Membership
Jan 5, 2009
Archer, IA (Northwest IA)
Rep Power: 21474839 that is the maxx rep power you can have a lot of us found that out a long time ago back when we had the rep game. if i remember right it the most points you can have in any game

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Thank you for your help!

So let me get this straight. Depending on how many rep points a particular user has, that determines how heavily their rating weighs on the person they are rating?

Also, back to the post problem. My problem hasn't necessarily been particular posts coming back up to the top. My problem was with my post count actually rising when I wasn't posting anything.

Thanks again!

I'd slap ya with some green to return the favor, but it's telling me i've given out too much reputation today.

Correct, I am not 100% sure, but I think a rep hit is something like 1% or 2% of a users total reputation value as noted in their rep bars on the side.

As to your individual post count curiosity, I don't *think* a Super Mod has access to change that number... I have never tried personally as I didn't want to screw with anything I didn't need to (there's plenty of extra buttons as it is;):eek:)

Haha, thanks, glad I could help:beer;

Marty UT

Stirring the pot
Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Utah
Correct, I am not 100% sure, but I think a rep hit is something like 1% or 2% of a users total reputation value as noted in their rep bars on the side.

As to your individual post count curiosity, I don't *think* a Super Mod has access to change that number... I have never tried personally as I didn't want to screw with anything I didn't need to (there's plenty of extra buttons as it is;):eek:)

Haha, thanks, glad I could help:beer;

Thanks again for your help!

I've learned a little something new today! I will go see if I can find some ketchup to go with this crow. :doh:

As for the post count thing. I guess that remains a mystery for now. Hopefully someone will figure that one out eventually. It's just very odd. :eek:hwell:

I feel about 95% better now. I'm glad we could shed some light on these issues instead of turning it into a big pissing match.

Also, if any of the mods reading this would like to delete the (mods) part of the title feel free to do so. I have also updated my first post to reflect my new knowledge of the rep points system.

Thanks again to all who have contributed useful information to this post.

............and if anyone figures out the post count thing, I would be interested in hearing the results. :gossip:

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
When maxed you can give 21 mil and change in green rep and 10.5 mil in red rep with one slap.

Now get to work and max rep! Orange bar too! your 21 mil closer :D

:beer;

P

pullhardr

Nov 26, 2007
Alpine, WY
Hey summit, can't we agree to get along?? I was a newbie a couple years ago, but I think the mags on the site make up for the money. Just my thought. I have got the best info on this site and we need to keep that going!

Premium Features