• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

snowest needs some changes

M

mynewuseddoo

May 28, 2009
Shuswap
whats the difference if you pay for the mag and get forums for free, or pay for forums and get mag for free? either way your still paying for something that used to be free?

It is cheaper to put a digital copy of the mag online instead of having the over head costs of producing the magazine, ie: press costs, labour, ink, paper, logistics......etc. I just don't pay and like it was said earlier, I use multiple forums. Honestly I'm just glad I switched over to Arctic Cat from Doo. :hurt:The Doo forums remind me of how 14 year olds argue and resolve conflict and express opinion:hurt:. That was turning me off of Snowest more than some fee being implemented.

Frankly when it comes right down to it we will just have to wait and see weather or not this bites Snowest in the a$$ after the summer is over.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
What did I pay for?
You paid for a very specific set of user account features that are not offered to the free members. But in all honesty, I am sure you already know exactly what you paid for, and your question wasn't a question at all. You're really just making a rhetorical statement and letting me know your unhappy with how things are going on SnoWest.

But based on hard cold numbers for 2009/2008, long before we made any changes to the site.

We expect that the active members on SnoWest will drop down to about 4,500 just like it did last spring/summer. It should bottom out in August and then begin to climb once again next Fall. As the season winds down, most of the traffic on the site leaves. There is a hard core group that will stick with the site all summer long as they passionately work on their sleds and plan for the next season. Our guess (and it is only a guess) is that many or even most of those will be the Premium Members.

That is also why the magazine publishes it's final season issue in early March.

While I can attest that there IS some SPECTACULAR sledding up in the mountains, for all intents and purposes the "Season" is over with by April. Sure there will be sledding going on for another month if the weather allows, and some of the real diehards will go HIGH and keep riding on through May and Into June, and a few might even find snow in July. But by and by, the season in general is over with, and traffic on the SnoWest site will fall off rapidly as a result.

W

whitegold46

Mar 3, 2008
Smithers, B.C.
ok.... we got your point.... but when are you guys going to just let this go??? I think the subject has been flogged..... I think it is time to move on!! :face-icon-small-fro

J

JROD

Nov 6, 2004
Bozeman, MT
I understand that this subject has been beaten to death since the beginning but wouldn't you think we could get some answers, maybe a detail and some reassurance as to how this being taken care of. Now that I'm a "Premium Member", I don't think I'm out of line by expecting a competent answer. I mean really, I just paid to use a site that isn't half as good as it used to be when it was free. It's not that I mind paying for the site. If the site was the same as it used to be before Christopher stuck his nose in it, I would see no problem in giving SnoWest my $$$ in order to speed it up and add some features.

Really my $30 for 3 years is a small amount to pay for the info and knowledge that WAS available on this site. The ONLY thing that has came of this is to run off the sources that provided most if not all of the best information. Why would you expect them to pay?

I wasn't simply pointing out that the numbers were dropping but if you'd like to bring that up then lets talk. Over 2000 active members dropped in 2 weeks?!?! The response that was given has no evidentiary value whatsoever in regards to the traffic being so slow. Plain and simple I've never seen this site such a ghost town of knowledge, ever!... spring, summer, ever!

*For all intended purposes there was no rhetoric intended in the above post. All inquiries were directed towards whom it may concern in expectant for a competent and information-backed response.

Last edited:
W

whitegold46

Mar 3, 2008
Smithers, B.C.
Well, I'm not going to debate whether it was a good idea to go "user pay" or not.... but I have been reading all the opinions and there are good and bad ideas for and against out there. But I do think that Chris has tried to explain everything numerous times but he just gets slammed..... I'm really tired of this bashing. Chris is doing his job, we all have jobs, some more popular then others, but we all make a living, so enough of the bashing!! As far as i know Chris does not own this site, he works for Harris Publishing, but correct me if I'm wrong. But ya know, even if he did, it is still his right to do what ever he wants with this site if it is his.... this is called free enterprise.

I don't think anyone ran off other contributers... they left on their own free will.... it is too bad and I do hope they will reconsider as time goes by and come back. As for the numbers, I think the ending of the sledding season probably plays a part in that, but like you said, time will tell.

I will stick around to see what happens, and hope that this site does survive the changes, but to me, this is not rocket science, if you don't like it then just move on......

C
Jan 24, 2009
Labrador, Canada
I don't think anyone ran off other contributers... they left on their own free will.... it is too bad and I do hope they will reconsider as time goes by and come back. As for the numbers, I think the ending of the sledding season probably plays a part in that, but like you said, time will tell.

Seriously? What rock did you come out from under? Forcing people to PAY to give others information about there sleds is what ran people off, if you don't see that then there is no hope for you.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
Seriously? What rock did you come out from under? Forcing people to PAY to give others information about there sleds is what ran people off, if you don't see that then there is no hope for you.
So how much did you pay? How much did I pay? Forced to pay, dude, you haven't even paid so where is this force you are talking about? How come they didn't force you to pay?

J

JROD

Nov 6, 2004
Bozeman, MT
Chris is doing his job, we all have jobs, some more popular then others, but we all make a living, so enough of the bashing!!

it is still his right to do what ever he wants with this site if it is his.... this is called free enterprise.

I don't think anyone ran off other contributers... they left on their own free will....

I will stick around to see what happens, and hope that this site does survive the changes, but to me, this is not rocket science, if you don't like it then just move on......

I feel like I have some legitimate questions that deserve answers. I feel as a premium member I have a right to voice these questions in hope for a response. Do I have time to research every single Christopher post in hopes to find the answer? No, so I ask and I'm getting ignored and I'm assuming the reason for that is because there is no detail laid out on paper with any intent to recoup this site to it's former glory.

In response to your statements, obviously we know somewhat of Chris's job. Is he doing his job effectively? Is he the right man for the job? Just because someone gets hired to a position doesn't mean a thing. Nothing. I'm good at my job, that's why they keep me around. I pride myself in doing a good job and therefore I take home a paycheck. I'm not entitled to anything that I don't put forth effort in to accept.

You are right, this is free enterprise. Again no point is being made here. Yes, he can do whatever he wants and in doing so he is running SnoWest into the dirt. You cannot consciously deny this fact. If you're still too hard-headed to accept this, you're not helping matters only accepting a lesser version of the site and falsely justifying the money you spent was worth the cause.

Again you are right, people did leave on their own free will. Again, whats your point? People didn't leave because the "other" sites were "prettier". I don't need to be the one to point out why they left. Most of the members had been here longer than you, many of the biggest contributors since the dawn of SnoWest. They didn't want to leave but they left quietly. That's just not my nature. I'm just interested in cold hard facts as to what's being done to bring this site back. My pride, comradery with other members, and my love for the site and the sport drives me to make my voice heard.

You stick around and see what happens to the site without making an effort to change anything. You sit there and hope that this site comes back to it's former glory. You obviously are blinded by the problems created in the past few months on this site. Are you really a major contributor? We can all sit around and hope things are going to change or we can ask questions and infuse thought into the powers that be. Mostly likely I'll just be ignored but I'm content with knowing that I've made an effort.

"Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you."- Thomas Jefferson

J

JROD

Nov 6, 2004
Bozeman, MT
Ha ha, Christopher, show your spine buddy. Am I making too good of points for you to make a rebuttal? Tell me please, where am I out of line for asking such pertinent questions? Am I pissing you off? Of course I am, that's what happens when you can't answer questions with a response that supports your argument.

Believe me, I have no problem following this through with phone calls, letters, e-mails and what have you to whomever calls the shots around here. I feel passionately about the future of this site. It can, and will, be a great information site yet again and I will do everything in my power to make this happen and it's obviously going to require pushing some buttons. Have I been out of line by personally attacking you? No, that would be below the belt and against what I stand for. I've kept this strictly on a professional level only asking legitimate information. I ask anyone out there to prove me wrong. If you do, I will step down quietly, you have my word. All I'm asking is for you to work WITH the people here to figure out how to improve this site. Until you quit perceiving people with a voice as a threat, you will never make progress. Listen to the members... Seriously.........

Last edited:

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
Are you really a major contributor? We can all sit around and hope things are going to change or we can ask questions and infuse thought into the powers that be. Mostly likely I'll just be ignored but I'm content with knowing that I've made an effort.
Why not spend the time providing content for others instead? Or spend some time helping people out with similar sleds then you? Just an idea if you are unhappy with the site..

As to what you paid for.. only you can answer that question. Seems your answer was to support the site?

Last edited:
J

JROD

Nov 6, 2004
Bozeman, MT
instead of what?..... instead of trying to change things for the better? Am I asking for too much? Is what I'm asking for just not conceivable at this point for SnoWest?

I do provide information for plenty of people but it takes more than me. It takes a group effort and it seems too many would rather sit aside and be a spectator than take charge and make things happen.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
instead of what?..... instead of trying to change things for the better?
What are you asking to be changed?? What are your recommendations? What do you want? What do you think will make this site better?
I do provide information for plenty of people but it takes more than me.
Good job

J

JROD

Nov 6, 2004
Bozeman, MT
Finally! Someone else asking questions...

I want this site to return to where it was, with many sources of information and many people trading experiences that can add to the aura that this site once had. This site used to be THE snowmobile site to go to. I'm not saying I have all the answers. Again, this takes more than just me. I'm posting comments to provoke thought. What are your questions? What do you want to see changed? Do you have ideas how this can happen?

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
I'm posting comments to provoke thought. What are your questions? What do you want to see changed? Do you have ideas how this can happen?
So you have no ideas of anything you would want changed?

IMO, the 75 post limit thing is a problem. Or at least it erks me when a post gets that long. Though, honestly, that is few and far between, as most posts don't go that far.

I think the reason for the lack of response from Chris to your posts is that you are only talking in generalities / vagueries (yes it is a word.. lol). I am sure if you give him a specific request, he will respond when he can.

Premium Features