• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ANY ONE upgrade to a paid member yet?????

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
M8, your right he may have an issue, but if we are not having an issue and he is what does that tell you?

right now I am on 3 forums...this one is loading pages at 4-5 sec per page..both the others are 1-2 sec per page..this site is slower....

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Those three tests were done from my home on a 128K DSL.

Thats about the worst connection you can get these days, but I live out in the country.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
right now I am on 3 forums...this one is loading pages at 4-5 sec per page..both the others are 1-2 sec per page..this site is slower....
Understood.
Our best guess on why we don't ever seem to be able to get below the 4 second mark is the ISP that Harris Publishing it using for the Fiber Optic connection into the corporate headquarters.

A

Adrenalin

Nov 2, 2008
Los Anchorage, AK
Understood.
Our best guess on why we don't ever seem to be able to get below the 4 second mark is the ISP that Harris Publishing it using for the Fiber Optic connection into the corporate headquarters.

care to explain christopher ? this is what you mailed to me and i assume EVERYONE else ? correct me if i am wrong but i thought snowest had nothing to do with harris pub now that we have are own servers / hardware ?

as a paying and PAYED customer of snowest i think i deserve an anwer ? as well as everyone else on here that paid. i mean after all this is what you wanted ? right ? members to pay well with that comes another price and thats giving us what you said you would give us ?
Addressing the “Slowness” Problems

After significant discussion and debate, we have decided to move the SnoWest forums off of the main Harris Publishing servers and manage the SnoWest community as a separate, stand-alone entity. This means a few things:

1. SnoWest will no longer share hardware or server resources with the other Harris Publishing web-sites or communities.

2. We’ve ordered brand new switches, firewalls, load balancers, UPSs, file-servers, database-servers, and web-servers exclusively for the use of the SnoWest forums.

3. We’re upgrading the SnoWest forums to the latest and greatest versions of all our software, across the board.

The end result here will be speed, speed, and more speed. The orders for the new infrastructure have been placed, and we anticipate the new hardware will be ready in a few weeks. However, making SnoWest independent and self supporting comes at a significant cost, which brings me to the next issue.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The SnoWest Servers live in the Harris Publishing building, and share rack space with all of their servers.

Thus we all share a common fiber optic link to the local ISP in Idaho Falls.

Our new servers outshine everything else they have.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
looks like about 130 paid members vs 700 freebees:face-icon-small-con & 150 peps logged on not very good #s:face-icon-small-sho

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
here we are on day one.
You are only seeing the people that read this thread that have upgraded. You are not seeing the people that have upgraded, who have no interest in this thread. Which would be the vast majority.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
looks like about 130 paid members vs 700 freebees:face-icon-small-con & 150 peps logged on not very good #s:face-icon-small-sho

when I checked the sites day numbers it showed 3543 members logged in today...I counted 276 paid members(no mods or admins counted)

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
when I checked the sites day numbers it showed 3543 members logged in today...I counted 276 paid members(no mods or admins counted)

i have seen that many online at the same time 150 online just after supper busy time, sad .dosnt matter to me what happens sw is not my life sad to seeit change, if they let me stay in some form for free i will be here. if not so be it i will go to the other places there would have to be allot more here for me to pay dont see it yet:beer;:couch2:

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
It really is sad to see Snowest falling apart. I haven't commented much on the whole process because i just don't care. This site has been going down hill for some time. It is too bad to see all the good info and advice evaporate. There are many other sites that will replace this one in the future. I hope Harris knows what they are doing ! The magazine was never good, ever !

I
Dec 14, 2001
Archer, Idaho
Still on the Fence

I am still waiting to decide about continuing on this forum, one of my main issues is that I find it very discouraging that all the posters & members who are making decisions, that are becoming "Moderators" and who are paying this membership fee, are "Mostly" all "newbies" who have joined within the last 2 - 3 years. There are exceptions where I see some "ol timers" are still involved, those of us who starrted & nutured this site over the last 11 years, but I would say that this forum is now 80- 90 % All New forum names and members.

I have made at least 50 lifelong frineds due to my involvment at this site ............ but now, it is hardly worth logging on.

All this just tells me .............. "We're not in Kansas anymore Toto." and that saddens me greatly ...........:face-icon-small-sad

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
I am still waiting to decide about continuing on this forum, one of my main issues is that I find it very discouraging that all the posters & members who are making decisions, that are becoming "Moderators" and who are paying this membership fee, are "Mostly" all "newbies" who have joined within the last 2 - 3 years. There are exceptions where I see some "ol timers" are still involved, those of us who starrted & nutured this site over the last 11 years, but I would say that this forum is now 80- 90 % All New forum names and members.

I have made at least 50 lifelong frineds due to my involvment at this site ............ but now, it is hardly worth logging on.

All this just tells me .............. "We're not in Kansas anymore Toto." and that saddens me greatly ...........:face-icon-small-sad

If you feel my time on here is not long enough(I was a member before the date in my profile but never changed when site changed)I will step down for you to take over my voluntiered position as moderator.
Go through my profile and past posts and see all the bashing I have done to members.
Dave

B

beefspots

Mar 10, 2008
Dayton, Wyo.
I sold enough Sh** on ebay and payed my dews. This site has been very helpful for me and I have sold/traded alot of stuff on here! 30 bucks for 3 years I'm in!
BS

Premium Features